What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Removed cheapo plastic pipe clips in engine room and replaced with solid brass ones. Like all simple jobs it in theory it turned out difficult.........the clips are mounted on steel bulkhead and required a partial draindown of heating system.

Edited by mark99
  • Horror 1

Thanks J,

I'm just "titivating" it. The engineering was done by the original builder.

On a mission to remove tupperware - got a couple of header tanks being made up to replace the plastic ones. A forum member (one of ther best in the business) is doing me a signwritten plate and some nice brassware is due to arrive soon. Exhaust is off being shrouded in perforated sleeve.

Next step bathroom.

Edited by mark99

Brassware arrived (one gauge for hydraulic gearbox pressure) and the other one I added a small themed red logo to it.

IMAG2454_zps3a876988.jpg

In situ

IMAG2490_zps3102185a.jpg

Signwriting plate now in situ - added some brass edges to Dave's (Moore) lovely work. This plate is in sympathy with Daves signwriting on exterior.

IMAG2509s_zps9aed7290.jpg

Exterior

IMAG2248_zps25045c04.jpg

Still awaiting bespoke alloy tanks (header) to replace 2 tupperware versions and exhaust shield should be here soon.

Edited by mark99

Continuing the red paint in t'engine room...

IMAG2440_zpsa4734077.jpg

IMAG2441_zps67066647.jpg

IMAG2444_zpsd9c7f50b.jpg

IMAG2445_zps62f7305f.jpg

my oh my that is very very smnart indeed :) am I a lickle greeneyed at the moment ?? ... How dare you !!!. moi is not the in the slightest envious...Nurse quickly the screens, as moi nose has suddenly grown longer than my short boat-hook blink.png

Hope you got the zero reset on that gauge

It won't zero. Well that's not true, it will zero but throws it out at it's target range. However I did set up a test rig with electronic gauge as a tester and it's accurate at 35-45 psig - that's where it sits. (Gardner 2lw). It was a 2nd hand jobbie.

Tree- the shots are very flattering - it must be the flash on the camera. There are some ropey bits trust me!

Had a go at painting the panel in the trad rear step/box. In the photo, it's on it's side. Needs some varnish now.

Anyone else fettling? I'm getting lonely!

IMAG2555_zpsc32000b0.jpg

I love the simplicity of this traditional (ish?) design.

Edited by mark99

Captain

Bolt it on. If you weld it, it will be a swine to decorate in future. I've lain on enough roofs at silly angles trying to paint the bloody things. If you want it plain, well......but I'd still bolt it on. Historically, they were removable. If you are worried about security, you could fit a flush fitting plate with downstand, bolted from inside. Happy to elaborate if needed.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry mate, I wasn't making myself very clear.

I have made a welded frame to give me an upstand that the pigeon box will sit over. I will then bolt the box to this.

My indecision has been in whether to bolt or weld the frame to the cabin top.

I take your point about the difficulties of decoration.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon

I'd be very wary of welding if there's insulation beneath the steel, I was looking at a boat on Saturday that had suffered fire damage when sprayfoam ignited during a retro fit of a bow thruster tube. Most builder's weld the upstand in place, but at the bare steel stage. Others may have better ideas.

Dave

Simon

I'd be very wary of welding if there's insulation beneath the steel, I was looking at a boat on Saturday that had suffered fire damage when sprayfoam ignited during a retro fit of a bow thruster tube. Most builder's weld the upstand in place, but at the bare steel stage. Others may have better ideas.

Dave

Yes, I think I will bolt it on using some stainless rivet nuts through the roof and a rubber gasket.

Should give me a watertight seal and cause the minimum of disturbance to the head lining beneath.

As you suggested, I can then paint the whole shebang in the comfort of a nice warm workshop.

New header welded, tested and pickled - complete apart from polishing. To replace the old plastic one which leaks.

WORK057_zpscfe84bf3.jpg

Exhaust silencer shield on - to wrap pipe below with titanium heat wrap later.

IMAG2558_zps8a3cf899.jpg

Edited by mark99