What the.... (CRT have their prioritys right ?) [photo's]

bottle

Featured Posts

Isn't it common to have signs in commercial premises and sites that say 'staff only' or similar.

These are presumably to avoid jo public wandering into areas where there may be a danger to them - just guessing though...

Is it not a pity that they did not divert the effort, which went into planting signs saying that overhanging trees were restricting navigation, into cutting bits off those overhanging trees so that they no longer restricted navigation? Or would that require too much thought?

Isn't it common to have signs in commercial premises and sites that say 'staff only' or similar.

These are presumably to avoid jo public wandering into areas where there may be a danger to them - just guessing though...

I think it's because recently they;ve been arranging 'proper' access for staff to culverts and the like, where previously they were expected to scramble down sometimes steep slopes. This access then has the appropriate signs applied.

As for the other sign, if it's on a normal CRT navigation then let's hope the sign is only there for a few days until something is done about the trees.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Richard, Martin

I know why they are there, it is just a lot new ones/replacements have appeared.

The restriction sign is on the Macclesfield

Then presumably it is as part of the re-branding post the inception of CRT - so perhaps yes CRT stickers would have done the job until the signs actually needed replacing or was removed by vandals and needed replacing.

As for the other sign, if it's on a normal CRT navigation then let's hope the sign is only there for a few days until something is done about the trees.

There's been one up around Limpley Stoke for at least 6 months after CRT felled a tree and part of the trunk fell into the cut.

They just stuck a couple of markers around it (which are slowly becoming less visible) and left it. It's quite a hazard!

There's been one up around Limpley Stoke for at least 6 months after CRT felled a tree and part of the trunk fell into the cut.

They just stuck a couple of markers around it (which are slowly becoming less visible) and left it. It's quite a hazard!

no, the tree was not felled by cart, the tree fell over by itself, as they regularly do on that stretch. The trees are growing into the stone, on a very steep slope, and do not have enough support. This particular tree fell across the cut, taking out a Douglas Fir on the opposite bank, on the way down.. I assisted the cutting crew with the removal, and disposal of the Oak.. about a ton and a half of, has been seasoning in the hold of Heart of Gold since. I planed on getting the rest out too, but did not have the equipment to do so alone. It is indeed still there, causing a hazard.

The other, permanent, signage, is for a mooring restriction on this stretch, because of the danger of falling trees. CART can't actualy do anything about the trees, because they stand on private property. they can only deal with those that fall onto their property.

There's similar near here, it's a result of tree work being contracted out to a company which doesn't have the equipment needed to do the job properly (nor, it seems on occasion, the will to do it properly).

BW used to do all that themselves, and had the kit and the trained men to do it. They do still have a few trained men, but very little kit left.

Tim

Aren't they entitled to chop off any bits that overhang their property

I'm sure they are. There's something in theory about offering the cuttings back to the 'owner' of the tree, I think, if it's a simple neighbour to neighbour situation.

Quite possible they have greater rights as the navigation owner.

Tim

There's similar near here, it's a result of tree work being contracted out to a company which doesn't have the equipment needed to do the job properly (nor, it seems on occasion, the will to do it properly).

BW used to do all that themselves, and had the kit and the trained men to do it. They do still have a few trained men, but very little kit left.

Tim

bit of a sweeping statement that, i would expect the real answer has something to do with CRT not being willing to pay the contractors a proper rate to use their expensive equipment and the extra time required to do the job.

if Crt are allowing Fountains to get away with not completing or doing a job badly its more to do with CRTs contract management than anything else

i am no fan of Fountains and i have seen much shoddy work, it just seems unfair to blame the contractors without understanding the contract and what is asked of them

Aren't they entitled to chop off any bits that overhang their property

Yes they are

bit of a sweeping statement that, i would expect the real answer has something to do with CRT not being willing to pay the contractors a proper rate to use their expensive equipment and the extra time required to do the job.

if Crt are allowing Fountains to get away with not completing or doing a job badly its more to do with CRTs contract management than anything else

i am no fan of Fountains and i have seen much shoddy work, it just seems unfair to blame the contractors without understanding the contract and what is asked of them

There was an event that I reported on here a few months ago, when a large sycamore fell from the offside. Fountains cleared the visible stuff, but cut off a large piece of the trunk and left it to fall into the bottom of the canal, undiscovered until we came to a dramatic halt by riding up onto it, in the middle of the channel. They must have known it was there, but said nothing to anyone. This was a big lump, 12 to 15' long and up to 2' diameter, six men couldn't drag it out of the canal so it had to be lashed alongside a boat and towed away. The base of the tree and its root ball were also left, mostly underwater, but this was known (and a source of aggravation with CRT at ground level), that had to be marked with posts etc to reduce the risk of boats running into it. BW were never much good, from what I've seen and heard, at contract supervision so that might be part of the story.

Tim

The biggest problem with contract management is the ability to enforce penalties for non compliance.

Seen it so many times.

The contractors have you by the balls because they know the ultimate sanction of ditching them is unlikely due to the potential for legal challenge and the difficulty of finding a replacement at relative short notice.

Hence keep stuff 'in house' is the best option.

There was an event that I reported on here a few months ago, when a large sycamore fell from the offside. Fountains cleared the visible stuff, but cut off a large piece of the trunk and left it to fall into the bottom of the canal, undiscovered until we came to a dramatic halt by riding up onto it, in the middle of the channel. They must have known it was there, but said nothing to anyone. This was a big lump, 12 to 15' long and up to 2' diameter, six men couldn't drag it out of the canal so it had to be lashed alongside a boat and towed away. The base of the tree and its root ball were also left, mostly underwater, but this was known (and a source of aggravation with CRT at ground level), that had to be marked with posts etc to reduce the risk of boats running into it. BW were never much good, from what I've seen and heard, at contract supervision so that might be part of the story.

Tim

funnily enough i agree with you 100%, i have seen so much shoddy work, a trip along the GU last year nearly had me in fits but if CRT are not picking up on this the contractor will take the piss.

I have a feeling its down to cost as well, i know lots of contractors who would relish the challenge of working along the canal but quality costs, big timber difficult access and water makes the job bloody difficult, it is IMO beyond 2 blokes with a chainsaw, transit and a chipper, which is what i see a lot of

The biggest problem with contract management is the ability to enforce penalties for non compliance.

Seen it so many times.

The contractors have you by the balls because they know the ultimate sanction of ditching them is unlikely due to the potential for legal challenge and the difficulty of finding a replacement at relative short notice.

Hence keep stuff 'in house' is the best option.

the problem is to keep the skills and equipment up to date for the difficult jobs, is beyond an organization like CRT, thats when you need decent contractors and proper contract management

funnily enough i agree with you 100%, i have seen so much shoddy work, a trip along the GU last year nearly had me in fits but if CRT are not picking up on this the contractor will take the piss.

I have a feeling its down to cost as well, i know lots of contractors who would relish the challenge of working along the canal but quality costs, big timber difficult access and water makes the job bloody difficult, it is IMO beyond 2 blokes with a chainsaw, transit and a chipper, which is what i see a lot of

the problem is to keep the skills and equipment up to date for the difficult jobs, is beyond an organization like CRT, thats when you need decent contractors and proper contract management

It seems we have neither. I'm told that Fountains have just been signed up for another 5 years :(

Tim

It seems we have neither. I'm told that Fountains have just been signed up for another 5 years sad.png

Tim

i have a soft spot for Fountains, they were an iconic name in my business, how the mighty have fallen.

a 5 year contract, bloody hell i would kill for a 5 year contract