cleaning of stoves and flues

Featured Posts

Hi all just letting you all know that I am a registered chimney sweep who can clean you wood and coal stoves and sweep you're flue before the colder months set in. After sweeping certificate of sweeping is issued so that you know all is safe and keeps the insurers happy as well. contact me for any advice regarding youre stove and how to get the best from it for years to come.

Thanks

dave

It's a DIY job on boats Dave, the flue is very short and chandlers sell brushes like a giant bottle brush for the job. I tend to rattle a length of chain down mine then scrape out the result. It's a regular task depending on what you burn.

I was surprised when I tried it how well using a chain works in cleaning the flue.

Rolling up a long bramble branch into a ball on a bit of string works well too although you need gloves etc. to make the ball in the first place.

Hi all just letting you all know that I am a registered chimney sweep who can clean you wood and coal stoves and sweep you're flue before the colder months set in. After sweeping certificate of sweeping is issued so that you know all is safe and keeps the insurers happy as well. contact me for any advice regarding youre stove and how to get the best from it for years to come.

Thanks

dave

What Madcat said - it's a ten minute job - remove chimney sweep flue - as long as you use the correct size toilet like brush it removes most of what has built up.

remove the debris from the stove - job done.

I'm planning on having a go at mine but can't shift the chimney. What do I do - pour on boiling water or hit it with a big hammer ?

Our chimney seized on over last winter and through spring. I was lax in taking it off regularly and applying a bit of grease to the collar.

In the summer armed with a big hammer and large screwdriver resigned to the fact I was going to have to destroy it to get it off I was surprised just how corroded it had become and it literally crumbled when I hit it with a hammer and came off really easy. Yours may be the same.

I did of course have to replace it, and now grease the collar each time we visit the boat.

@ the OP - you should (if you have not already done so) really seek approval from the mods before promoting your business on here - though if you are offering to do it for free that would be a different matter.biggrin.png

I've just cleaned mine this morning. I taped a wire brush to a broom shank and inserted from the top, rotating it as I moved down. I also decided to try some black stove paint on the stove and chimney pipe and what a great job it does; looks brand new and simple to apply.

I was understand that it is only a ten minute job but here is the scenario

you sweep you're chimney and unexpectedly while using it you haveba chimney fire.

you call the insurers and they send out the assessor who look at it and then asks to see the certificate from when bitbwas last swept. if you can't provide ba current one they say they claim is void asbit has not been swept tonan approved standard

thats the thing will insurer's they take you're cash but when you want it back if the paper work is not right they say no

I was understand that it is only a ten minute job but here is the scenario

you sweep you're chimney and unexpectedly while using it you haveba chimney fire.

you call the insurers and they send out the assessor who look at it and then asks to see the certificate from when bitbwas last swept. if you can't provide ba current one they say they claim is void asbit has not been swept tonan approved standard

thats the thing will insurer's they take you're cash but when you want it back if the paper work is not right they say no

But if you sweep it regularly what chance is there of a chimney fire? - I personally have never heard of a chimney fire on a boat but I am happy to be corrected and be told such a thing has happened.

Chris, boiling water may work poured round the outside but the external chimney may be badly corroded. Tap lightly round the bottom with a hammer, lightly being the key word ,there's brittle cast iron there in the shape of the collar.

I repaired a chimney by cutting up the side of an old washing machine ,rolling it up with jubilee clips and pop riveting it together and to the sound bit of the old chimney. It lasted for ages.

Good luck but treat it very carefully , you don't want to break the collar which is expensive. The external chimney is the easiest replaced component and could be considered sacrificial

Chris, boiling water may work poured round the outside but the external chimney may be badly corroded. Tap lightly round the bottom with a hammer, lightly being the key word ,there's brittle cast iron there in the shape of the collar.

I repaired a chimney by cutting up the side of an old washing machine ,rolling it up with jubilee clips and pop riveting it together and to the sound bit of the old chimney. It lasted for ages.

Good luck but treat it very carefully , you don't want to break the collar which is expensive. The external chimney is the easiest replaced component and could be considered sacrificial

this is exactly what happened in my case - it cost me £30 for a new chimney but much better than damaging the collar.

Our chimney seized on over last winter and through spring. I was lax in taking it off regularly and applying a bit of grease to the collar.

In the summer armed with a big hammer and large screwdriver resigned to the fact I was going to have to destroy it to get it off I was surprised just how corroded it had become and it literally crumbled when I hit it with a hammer and came off really easy. Yours may be the same.

The best and quickest way to remove a chimney is to go through Slaithwaite on the HNC. Or if that's too far away, there are places on the Middle Level and Droitwich will do it for you.

• Greenie 1

Quite - and get it hot enough and it'll radiate enough heat to ignite flammable materials close by

Risky strategy if that's what you really do

What flammable materials? Metal pipe, metal collar, metal chimney - nothing near it within 1 to 2m. Only risk is over heating the fire and burning the ply wood inside, which believe me a quick wood based chimney fire isnt hot enough to do. I would not do it if I had a cratch tho...