Provisional 2014 events list/dates?????

junior

Featured Posts

Skipton Waterways Festival

Sat 3rd to Mon 5th May.

A crowded weekend on the calendar :-)

Added, although Googling for it seems to largely turn up references to 2013 rather than 2014 - the same problem I hit with quite a few of the events.

Before I start a new thread, can anyone point me in the direction of any old threads relating to the BCNS 24hr Challenge? I might be able to find the info I'd like.

I've tried using the search function for 'bcns 24hr challenge' and got nothing.

I realise you are talking about the forum, but guess you at least have dates from BCNS site?

Saturday 24 May 2014 - Sunday 25 May 2014

BCNS 24 hour Marathon Challenge 2014

Start planning your routes now - start anywhere on the BCN that you wish, and finish at Hawne Basin at 14:00 on the Sunday.

The event is open to everyone with a boat licensed for use on British Waterways canals. Historic working boats and pairs are welcome.

Also: Forum post for last years event.

Edited by alan_fincher

Before I start a new thread, can anyone point me in the direction of any old threads relating to the BCNS 24hr Challenge? I might be able to find the info I'd like.

I've tried using the search function for 'bcns 24hr challenge' and got nothing.

Try searching for "bcn challenge".

Here's a couple of old threads for starters:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52496

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34778

Loughborough May Bank Holiday

Never been but we are looking for somewhere to head for that weekend.

Can anyone expand on whats on, whats happening, music, stalls, banter, mooring, when to arrive etc etc ?

Trouble is there are FIVE conflicting events that weekend!

Yay it's tug year at the BCLM again, that was awesome, glad it's on again!

Including this one.

Which I would love to do again but......

Total distance is 90.83 miles and 100 locks (not counting Fenny Stratford Lock No 22). There are at least 21 small aqueducts or underbridges and 5 tunnels (Blisworth Tunnel (3056 yards long), Braunston Tunnel (2042 yards long), Shrewley Tunnel (433 yards long), Ashted Tunnel and Summit Tunnel (103 yards long)).

This is made up of 11.91 miles of narrow canals; 78.92 miles of broad canals; 28 narrow locks; 72 broad locks.

This will take 45 hours, 40 minutes which is 6 days, 3 hours and 40 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 7 days.

So 180 miles and 200 locks for the round round trip.

Better start eating our Weetabix, I think!

Plus we need to be down in Rickmansworth a fortnight later......

Hmm.....

Alan F -

I was looking at Middlewich Festival but have the same problem,

(224 miles 164 locks) its a 3 week round trip by the time the weekend has been added in.

Total distance is 112 miles, 1¼ furlongs and 82 locks (not counting Middlewich Top Lock No 72). There are at least 29 small aqueducts or underbridges and 1 tunnel (Harecastle Tunnel (2919 yards long) [see navigational note 1 below]).

This is made up of 60 miles, ¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 22 miles, 3¼ furlongs of broad canals; 7 miles of small rivers; 22 miles, 5¼ furlongs of large rivers; 65 narrow locks; 13 broad locks; 4 large locks.

This will take 55 hours, 13 minutes which is 7 days, 6 hours and 13 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 8 days.

It's actually an interesting dilemma, (for us at least!).

This year, (theoretically at least!), we should have far more freedom, (Cath having retired as well now).

In previous years we have tried to get our historic boat to as many appropriate events as we can, (often involving weekend moves and lots of car shuffling), and have been limited really in the use of our leisure boat, other than in school holiday season.

Now we have a conflict that we still want to do the "historic boaty" events, but also far more time on board a leisure boat for extended trips further afield. This means we are now looking at the rather odd prospect of maybe boating around in two boats, which starts to cost silly amounts of diesel, and also makes life a lot harder when we have to go through single, rather than double locks.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure loads of people would love to have the "problems" that we do, but I think it is fair to say that 2014 is probably even less planned for us at the moment than previous years have been.

All that assuming we don't yet manage to swap "Chalice" for a second boat that also has "historic" credentials of course - which is the current plan, if we can actually find one!

Whilst the historic boat rally is on at Braunston, where is the best place for those of us with non-historic boats to moor, and do you need to book with anyone? I understand the main drag is booked up for the historic boats and congested during the show, but I'm looking forward to attending this after Foxton and hope to get their early enough to get a decent spot.

Also, is there anything going on in the evenings? Beer tent, music etc for thise of us attending as spectators that won't know anybody else, or be in any of the historic boat cliques.

Whilst the historic boat rally is on at Braunston, where is the best place for those of us with non-historic boats to moor, and do you need to book with anyone? I understand the main drag is booked up for the historic boats and congested during the show, but I'm looking forward to attending this after Foxton and hope to get their early enough to get a decent spot.

Also, is there anything going on in the evenings? Beer tent, music etc for thise of us attending as spectators that won't know anybody else, or be in any of the historic boat cliques.

The historic boats have to book. Others have to moor quite a long way away.

There is a beer tent with music, but while the beer, etc. is good, the music is generally thought to be too loud for conversation - which to be honest most boaters want to do. I've seen boaters standing in the pouring rain to have a long conversation rather than be in the beer tent. There are burger vans on site.

The alternatives are the other pubs in the town. The BoatHouse does 2-for-1 meals. Most people either think they are good value, or they wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. In recent years this is where most people I know have ended up for their meal, it's cheap and the dog is allowed to sit in the garden.

There are usually some forumites hanging round the beer tent during the day - especially during the parades. You can introduce yourself there, or go and meet people on the towpath.

• 2 weeks later...

Middlewich Great War Weekend - 4-5 October.

From the Town Council:

Middlewich Town Council are organising a Great War Weekend on the 4th and 5th October 2014.

This heritage event is taking place over seven different sites over two days and each site offers something different in terms of interpretation, activities and entertainment.
The Town Hall Function Suite at Victoria Building will be a focus point of the community work as it represents projects on various aspects of the Great War through school work and community group collaboration, this is a major part of the project which is funded by Heritage Lottery Fund.
Other sites show the scope of the Great War era, re-staging the Fund Raising activities of the Town, War Work, food and agriculture and acts of remembrance and pride for those who served.
We are therefore trying to balance the commemoration of the start of the Great War and the impact and sacrifice people made with the atmosphere of the era itself, what people had, everyday life, entertainment, what family meant to them. It’s important that while this is an educational overview of the period we run the event with elements of fun, entertainment and competition.

In Middlewich we cannot run this event without the link to the canals which were busier than ever during this period. Greg and Sue of Middlewich Narrowboats have very kindly given us their support for the Great War event, so their premises around Canal Terrace will be our canal site. What we are hoping to do or to achieve with this venue is:
• Have a minimum of 12 working boats moored up around the canal terrace area – obviously I’m not going to get period boats of the era (or very few) however a working boat gives the public an idea of conditions for the families, types of cargo, destinations and traditions. For the early boats of course being horse drawn it proved reliable when the coal strike hit in 1912 and further shortages during the war due to lack of manpower to extract coal especially in the beginning of the war, this had impact on factories and railway transport.
• Demonstrations – traditional crafts associated with canal boats, running of engines, display of types of cargo etc (display areas can be arranged) – can anyone re-create a rope walk? We used to have 2 in Middlewich during the Great war.
• Entertainment – in form of traditional music, drama pieces etc. Stage area
• Interpretation- general introduction to the wharf, role during the war etc. would be helpful if anyone does know the history of their own boats to have this on display either on the boat itself or discussion with myself over how the display could be done.
• Food / drink area for people to watch entertainment, chat and stay in the area for longer
• Signage – Two big car parks are in this area, so we need signs showing the public where to park and where the sites are located, moorings will be reserved where possible so we can give priority to working boats being accessible for people to see.
• Trading – any boat which sells its cargo or crafts is welcome.
• Competition – ICI used to hold annual raft races, this may be difficult to do with today’s health and safety however we have had canoes on this stretch of the canal before. Will try to arrange with the necessary authorities.

Open to all ideas of course about how to use this area effectively, the key is to introduce the history of the canal system and the working boats but also look at the traditions and working conditions associated with canals. If boat owners / volunteers etc. could come in WW1 period dress that would really add to the atmosphere.
We would also encourage boat owners to come along by helping with diesel costs and supplying a boaters supper. On Saturday night there is a dance night at the Middlewich Royal British Legion which is located on Lewin Street almost opposite canal terrace, heavily discounted tickets would be made available for this and we will encourage local pubs to put on traditional beers for the weekend.

I would also promote the fact that Winsford have their Salt Fair on 20th and 21st of September. They will keep their Salt theme but for next year will also add the Great War theme into their programme which is looking quite extensive for next year and will include for the first time the River Weaver. The plan is for a Salt Regatta on the River Weaver on Sunday 21st Sept 11am – 4pm, this is organised via Nigel Hughes.

We may also be able to hold a Boat gathering at Northwich 27th and 28th September, but this is too early to say if it will go ahead.

The overall plan is to link the three townships of Winsford, Northwich and Middlewich together, we are the three traditional salt working areas (Nantwich the fourth, once a great salt producer but only for a fraction of the time next to the three other townships). Middlewich and Winsford still produce salt, in fact 90% of British salt comes from our two towns. The three towns are also links by waterways and trade routes used for thousands of years and therefore have a lot of similarities with each other whilst retaining their own very different identities.

I realise that calendars for next year for all boaters will be well underway, but I hope to encourage you to come to the Great war events. For further information contact myself on 01606 841379 or email heritage@middlewich.org.uk. As details get firmed up and booked these will make their way to the website, we should have a programme settled by June, printed and on the website by the Middlewich Folk and Boat Festival at the latest.

Best Regards
Kerry

Kerry Fletcher BA (Hons)
Heritage Development Officer
Middlewich Town Council

Middlewich Great War Weekend - 4-5 October.

I realise that calendars for next year for all boaters will be well underway, but I hope to encourage you to come to the Great war events. .

Is this for next year (2015) or are we just late in getting it and it is for 'this year'.

Looks a good event and might even try to get there.

Maesbury Canal Festival 6th & 7th September On the Montgomery Canal. Details from shrewsandnwales@waterways.org.uk

20 - 21 September Whitchurch Boat Festival '>see www.whitchurchwaterway.org.uk

10 May Montgomery Canal Triathlon

-

3 - 4 May Norbury Canal Festival -

Edited by dor

There has to be a better way than keep repeating the list, but I can't edit old posts......

New try - it's getting confusing - so please advise any errors.

Only six competing events for that first weekend in may then!

Fri 18th – Mon 21st April – Ellesmere Port Easter Gathering
Fri 18th – Mon 21st April – HNBC Easter Gathering – Foxton

Fri 2nd – Mon 5th May – Braunston Boat Gathering -(IWA Northampton Branch)
Sat 3rd – Mon 5th May - Historic Tug Event - Black Country Living Museum
Sat 3rd – Sun 4th May - Loughborough Canal & Boat Festival
Sat 3rd – Mon 5th May – Canalway Cavalcade, London
Sat 3rd – Mon 5th May – Skipton Waterways Festival

Sat 3rd – Mon 5th May – Norbury Canal Festival

Sat 17th – Sun 18th May – Rickmansworth
Sat 17th – Sunday 18th May – BCNS Titford Pumphouse Rally

Sat 24th – Sun 25th May – BCNS 24 hour Marathon Challenge
Sat 24th – Sun 25th May – Bollington Festival
Sat 24th – Mon 26th May – Crick Boat Show

Sat 31st May to Sun 1st June - Etruria Canal Festival

Fri 6th – Sun 8th June – IWA Campaign Festival, Chester

Fri 13th – Sun 15th June - Middlewich Folk & Boat Festival
Fri 13th – Sun 15th June – Stoke Bruerne Canal Gala
Sat 21st – Sun 22nd June – Foxton Locks Festival

Sat 28th – Sun 29th June – Braunston Historic Boats
Sat 28th – Sun 29th June – Chesterfield Canal Festival - Staveley Town Basin
Sat 28th – Sun 29th June - Leeds Waterfront Festival
Sun 29th June - Lymm Festival Historic Transport day

Sat 5th – Sun 6th July – Stratford River Festival
Sat 5th – Sun 6th July – Ware Boat Festival (IWA Lee & Stort Branch)

Sat 26th July - Linslade Canal Festival
Sat 26th - Sun 27th July - Audlem Festival of Transport

Thu 7th - Sat 9th August - Cropredy Festival

[GUESS] Sat 9th - Sun 10th Aug - Blisworth Canal Festival

[GUESS] Sat Aug 23rd - Mon Aug 25th - Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering

Sat 7th Sept – Angel Canal Festival
Sat 6th - Sun 7th Sept - Shackerstone Festival

Sat 6th - Sun 7th Sept - Maesbury Canal Festival

Sat 13th – Sun 14th Sept - Stoke Bruerne Village at War

Sat 20th – Sun 21st Sept - Whitchurch Boat Festival

Sat 4th - Sun 5th Oct - Middlewich Great War Weekend

Can't see there being many people at Crick judging by the BCN Challenge thread!!

I've just managed to get the first 10 days of September off work so I'm hoping that a sort of northern ish' event will appear on the calendar for that week as I was planning on heading to Manchester after the Braunston event at the end of June.

Edited by junior

I've just managed to get the first 10 days of September off work so I'm hoping that a sort of northern ish' event will appear on the calendar for that week as I was planning on heading to Manchester after the Braunston event at the end of June.

From Braunston, you could come to our event at Audlem on the Shroppie on 26/27 July. We have 30 historic boats already booked in, but can take 43. Early booking is advised - ring 01270 811059.

Normally, ours is the last gathering of historic boats in the north (and we're only just in the north), but this year there is a war themed event in Middlewich in October.

I don't think that you'll find any other specifically historic boat gatherings, though there are normally canal festivals in September on the Llangollen at Whitchurch and on the Monty at Maesbury, which are reckoned to be very enjoyable.

Peter

From Braunston, you could come to our event at Audlem on the Shroppie on 26/27 July. We have 30 historic boats already booked in, but can take 43. Early booking is advised - ring 01270 811059.

Normally, ours is the last gathering of historic boats in the north (and we're only just in the north), but this year there is a war themed event in Middlewich in October.

I don't think that you'll find any other specifically historic boat gatherings, though there are normally canal festivals in September on the Llangollen at Whitchurch and on the Monty at Maesbury, which are reckoned to be very enjoyable.

Peter

Audlem is a good shout. I haven't looked at my route from Braunston to Manchester but if I can go via the Shroppie it gives me another event to get to on the way.

Sadly I don't have a historic boat so if the bit about booking early was aimed at me then it doesn't apply. Although I'm going to Braunston, I'm just going to look at all the other boats rather than take part.

Audlem is a good shout. I haven't looked at my route from Braunston to Manchester but if I can go via the Shroppie it gives me another event to get to on the way.

Sadly I don't have a historic boat so if the bit about booking early was aimed at me then it doesn't apply. Although I'm going to Braunston, I'm just going to look at all the other boats rather than take part.

Although the bit about booking was for historic boats, everyone is welcome at the Audlem event on 26/27 July. You can moor a non-historic boat between locks 11-12 (48 hours - room for about 10 boats), or below lock 15 (14 days - at least 1/2 mile of mooring), so you will be close. We get a very large number of visitors. The boats are here all weekend, and on Sunday afternoon there will be 300 old vehicles on the village playing field. Both events are free. Do pop into Audlem Mill if you come, and say hello. And remember, we have 3 pubs and a good variety of village shops.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Junior,

We will be weekending a dash from Braunston to Audlem.

Cheers

Andy

Ex FMC Bison

Saul details can be found here:

http://www.cotswoldcanals.com/pages/posts/august-bank-holiday-boating-event-at-saul-630.php

Briefly:

IWA Waterways Pageant at Saul Junction

The Inland Waterways Association Events Team have announced an August Bank Holiday boating event at the junction of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal and Stroudwater Navigation on the Gloucester-Sharpness Canal. It will run from Saturday 23rd to Monday 25th August 2014.