Idleness

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Just seen my old boat go past nice to see it after 10 years looks and sounds exactly the same as when I had it.

Guy steering it was not the owner and got very shirty when I asked him questions about it.

It was really exciting to see it again pity the experience was spoilt by the steerer.

I was rather hoping this was not your old boat, because, as stated the guy steering was not being very nice when we witnessed him at Fenny.

It is true he was trying to share a lock with possibly the worst hire boat crew I have seen in many years, but his actions were actually making the situation worse not better.

Why he felt the hire boat had to move back from the top gate at Fenny as the lock was filling will have to remain a bit of a mystery. In a 1 foot deep lock it was hardly going to get washed away on a massive tsunami as the paddles were raised.

Idleness' steerer certainly had the hump!

Glad it wasn't just me then.

I knew it had been sold again as it was on apaling duck for a day or so, sold very quickly.

I missed the advert so never got to see what its like inside now.

Am I odd in getting excited over seeing a boat I sold in 2002? It was my life for 9 years before that.

Anyone south of Hemel feel free to tell the steerer that Idleness was owned by someone you know :)

Am I odd in getting excited over seeing a boat I sold in 2002? It was my life for 9 years before that.

I don't know if you are odd, but I was very excited to learn that a boat I owned 40 years ago still exists, and is for sale on e-Bay.

Even more surprised to see that under a new steel skin, the wooden cabin seems to be what I built.

The advert even confirms the story I had heard, (om here, possibly?), that the boat was shipped to Ireland, and on the waterways there, following protracted disputes with BW.

What I have only just learnt is it was brought back to England again.

I think it is natural to have an affection for a boat you once owned, but I'm probably "odd" too!....

I knew it had been sold again as it was on apaling duck for a day or so, sold very quickly.

Anyone south of Hemel feel free to tell the steerer that Idleness was owned by someone you know smile.png

Nothing odd at all. I still have affection for Pisces which I worked on for five years in the 1960's.

OH I am a nasty git.

Looking at the photos I took of Idleness as it waited for the lock I noticed it wasn't displaying a licence, typed the index number into the CRT checking page and lo and behold it came back with not known. Duly reported with all details filled in, vengeful moi?

Anyone south of Hemel feel free to tell the steerer that Idleness was owned by someone you know smile.png

Mrs TNC never misses a thing! tongue.png

• 3 weeks later...

Loddon is on the GU near Berkhamsted, River Loddon is a bit tight for a 60ft NB.

I was the second owner of Idleness from 1993 to 2002, it was my home and I did a fair ammount of cruising. It had been in Braunston Marina for sale for 9months before I bought it.

Had minor engine work in 93 after the silencer blew, new silencer,pistons,liners, valves and guides. Engine beds rebuilt in 94 as the engine was bouncing around the engine room. Repaint to its present colour scheme in 95 (whoever heard of a black coachline?) And a new Crowther prop, prop shaft and UJ about the same time. Replaced the Squirrel ading a back boiler and rebuilt the boatmans stove in about 2001.

Is the painting of the dog still on the wall of the Boatmans Cabin?

Idleness spent most of its early years on the Bridgewater hence the BW number is later than its build date which is 86 not 89 as the BW number suggests this was confirmed by MH.

AFAIK there were only two MH boats built like Idleness the other one has a Gardner in it.

ETA some photos from 2001 towards the bottom of the page here:

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_01/Jan.html

Edited by Loddon

OH I am a nasty git.

Looking at the photos I took of Idleness as it waited for the lock I noticed it wasn't displaying a licence, typed the index number into the CRT checking page and lo and behold it came back with not known. Duly reported with all details filled in, vengeful moi?

So you sold your boat and then dobbed-in the new owner for not displaying a valid licence. Classic! laugh.png

I guess the bloke should have been a bit friendlier when you tried to talk to him.

Edited by blackrose

So you sold your boat and then dobbed-in the new owner for not displaying a valid licence. Classic! laugh.png

I guess the bloke should have been a bit friendlier when you tried to talk to him.

No I sold it ten years before and the delivery driver was a prat.

Thanks for the info and the picssmile.png

We are just setting off up the thames then the oxford canal .

The boat seems to be in fairly gd shape just a little bit tired after not beng used for a while. It apparantly came down ok from loughbro' area ok. Engine sounds sweet.

Would be nice to meet you sometime....we are heading for Barby marina to moor up for the winter....so if you want to come n see Idleness just let us know.

I will set up my own id on this site as this is my brothers one

We went past it (twice) on the way to and from Shackerstone, as I assume you did. It didn't appear to have all mod cons but did not look derelict either.

I was amazed how blooming enormous it looked.

Have been past it a lot lately.

If it is progressing, it is at a very slow pace, and from outside not much has very visibly changed in many months.

If you are a tenant though, who knows what the story is - perhaps someone can enlighten us?

Thanks for the info and the picssmile.png

We are just setting off up the thames then the oxford canal .

The boat seems to be in fairly gd shape just a little bit tired after not beng used for a while. It apparantly came down ok from loughbro' area ok. Engine sounds sweet.

Would be nice to meet you sometime....we are heading for Barby marina to moor up for the winter....so if you want to come n see Idleness just let us know.

I will set up my own id on this site as this is my brothers one

So you got a delivery driver to take the boat from Loughborough to the bottom of the GU, so you can take it up the Thames and Oxford to Barby? There is an easier way!