Four Bad Eggs

Terence

Featured Posts

We had the great pleasure of ascending the Audlem flight recently. When we reached lock 4, four young chaps walked passed on the towpath, all with a can of drink in hand, which they decided better to throw them in the canal rather than a waste bin. Now this pissed me off, but the wife restrained me, pointing out that there were four of them and I was but one (sensible woman).

We reached lock 1 and as usual (for a long time now) the table was out at the cottage with goodies to buy, leaving money in the honesty box. As we pulled away with our treats we passed the same four lads walking back. We pulled over further up the canal to see them looking over the table. As they walked away I decided to go back and check. And low and behold the £10 note we put in the tin had gone. Well four or not I ran up the towpath after them (where was my sensible wife to stop me)? When they clocked me they gave it legs at which point I realised I’m nearly 50 (not 20 anymore) and I was knackered.

I shouted up the towpath for someone to try and stop them, but can appreciate why no one did. When I finally stopped, a chap on his boat asked what was happening? To which I explained they had just robbed the honesty box. He told me that he had also just left a tenner in the tin. So they had robbed it going both ways.

I finally went back to the house to inform the lady what had just happened (she was upset).

Terence

• Greenie 1

As lovely as an honesty box is, unfortunately, there will always be a bad element around and it is this that people need to protect themselves against.

Had the honesty box been securely fixed with a slot so that money could be posted honestly but thieves unable to get at it, the lady would have taken some sensible steps.

There are some amazingly honest people but common sense does say that money wont sit openly for very long.

I personally would not just leave money sitting there. Honestly box or not, I would have posted the money through the ladies post box to ensure payment had been made safely.

Its not sad, it common sense and it isn't just "this day and age".

As lovely as an honesty box is, unfortunately, there will always be a bad element around and it is this that people need to protect themselves against.

Had the honesty box been securely fixed with a slot so that money could be posted honestly but thieves unable to get at it, the lady would have taken some sensible steps.

There are some amazingly honest people but common sense does say that money wont sit openly for very long.

I personally would not just leave money sitting there. Honestly box or not, I would have posted the money through the ladies post box to ensure payment had been made safely.

Its not sad, it common sense and it isn't just "this day and age".

I can only agree with everything you have said. Sad really.

I feel sorry for them. They clearly didn't have very good upbringings, and alcohol is getting more expensive every day - how else are they going to get money in this day and age.

I can only assume this comment is "tongue in cheek", otherwise what a ridiculouse remark to make.

Edited by Ray T

This is very sad.

I often treat us to something from that cottage as a reward for having done the flight. I agree there should be a way of making the money more secure.

It is very upsetting for both yourself and the lady who has lost the money and I think she ought to find a way of making it safer if she is going to allow us all to enjoy her baking.

There is another honesty box midway down the locks on the offside. The items for sale are usually items from the garden or allotment. I bought blackberries there last time I past! The goods are just in an old tea chest turned on it's side facing the canal but the honesty box is a slot into box set firmly into the fence.

I suspect this would not draw as much attention as the wares are often only £1 or so each and there is not very much for sale but the cakes and jams that the lady in the cottage puts out can soon add up to quite a sum of money

This is very sad.

I often treat us to something from that cottage as a reward for having done the flight. I agree there should be a way of making the money more secure.

It is very upsetting for both yourself and the lady who has lost the money and I think she ought to find a way of making it safer if she is going to allow us all to enjoy her baking.

There is another honesty box midway down the locks on the offside. The items for sale are usually items from the garden or allotment. I bought blackberries there last time I past! The goods are just in an old tea chest turned on it's side facing the canal but the honesty box is a slot into box set firmly into the fence.

I suspect this would not draw as much attention as the wares are often only £1 or so each and there is not very much for sale but the cakes and jams that the lady in the cottage puts out can soon add up to quite a sum of money

We bought some cooking apples for 60p at the same lock. My Wife actually commented on the way the box was fixed.

Maybe I'm just hoping that truth, honesty, and respect may one day return to the human species.

I can only assume this comment is "tongue in cheek", otherwise what a ridiculouse remark to make.

Of course it's tongue in cheek - but this exact stance is often taken on this forum to defend 'people' who break into boats and steal valuables.

Personally I'd string them up and leave them for the crows.

Of course it's tongue in cheek - but this exact stance is often taken on this forum to defend 'people' who break into boats and steal valuables.

Personally I'd string them up and leave them for the crows.

If only we could. The crows could have taken me I was that knacked after chasing them.

Now, now Terence don't go and get yourself hospitalised - after all I'm looking forward to my nose tin! smile.png

Sorry boss.... Have made a start, two courses to teach this weekend and next weekend. Then its back to the tin can alley.

To be fair, the lady at the top lock does normally keep an eye out for passers by but clearly can't do that all the time.

I'm surprised she had ten pounds worth of stuff out to be honest.

The lady at Adderley locks also uses an honesty box. Quite a treck from anywhere else though.

It's Sunday and it's not a school day, in fact as its the holidays, there are a large number of visitors walking around in Skipton. We went shopping in Morrisons supermarket I was invited to attend as the nominated 'spanish donkey' for carrying the bags. As we crossed the road to make our way back to Rosie. I spotted a rucksack leaning up against some steps.

There seemed to be no one interested or associated with the rucksack. I did a quick estimation and thought Skipton was unlikely to come in the first million choices on a bombers target list. So I had a quick peek inside the bag. There was a laptop, an arm sling, an earpiece, plus a tin of Lynx deodorant for effect.

We took the bag and its contents back to the boat. I put the laptop on charge and up came the login name Bazz. We rang the local police (Put through to Harrogate as Skipton was closed) and left details of our find. The next morning, I had call from the Police in Skipton asking me to give a description of the bag and contents. It seems that Bazz had been in touch with the Police in Skipton. Bazz should now be reunited with his laptop.

For us a nice warm feeling that someone has been reunited with their expensive lost property - From Bazz, not a word of thanks.

That as they say is life...

Whilst I agree with the sentiment that an honesty box is a really nice idea and should not be abused, perhaps the OP should bear in mind that it wasn't his cash that was stolen, it was the honesty box provider's.

I wonder how much she has lost over the months and years?

I think whether the money was mine, the providers or even yours is not the point. It shouldn't happen, but it does. I actually offered to return the items we purchased but the lady wouldn't hear of it and even offered to give us more for the good deed, of which we declined.

The lady claims this has never happened before, but her daughter told me later that she has lost quite a bit over the years.

Worth posting this to the Audlem website; people there are likely to be able to keep an eye out.

Richard (brought up in Audlem... but that was a long time ago sad.png )

Good point. We did notify CaRT who contacted the volunteer lock keepers who were on duty.

Hope this doesn't stop her....we used quite a few produce suppliers like this over the summer....the ones at

Audlem are ace....also got some lovely eggs from a box next to a lock (forget which one!!) on the Llangollen.

They are part of what makes a journey fun and interesting...you don't get them on the M1!

Letting the audlem website know would be good...they do seem to be having a bit of trouble in the village at the moment...the toilets were vandalised just before the transport festival but people in the village rallied round and fixed them...I love the sense of community there.

Cheers

Gareth