Dyslectic Graphic Designer

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Well said Ange.

Have a greenie, or whatever they are called..

With the modern spell checkers, its just as simple to get text correct, as incorrect if your botherd that is !!.

Modern spell checkers would have had it spelt correctly though....mine did.

Or did you mean grammar checkers?

Edited by The Dog House

We took CRT up on their "spend a day with a boater" recently and had the privilege of Cathy Rogers and her husband on our boat while we ascended the Anderton Lift and took then on a short tour of the Trent & Mersey Canal. One of the things she intimated was her concern for the low regard that BW and now CRT were held in - she admitted they were starting with a base of zero and had loads of work to do. A very clever woman who gave me great hopes for the future of CRT, I have great optimism for their future with staff like her but they really must take care of the little things that might undermine their future. Computer spellcheck is the first port of call, then get a few people to read through the notice that is going to be observed by everyone, and therefore tells them everything about your organistion.

Well said Ange.

With the modern spell checkers, its just as simple to get text correct, as incorrect if your botherd that is !!.

Yes and no. What if you choose the wrong word but spell it correctly? For example one instead of won.

Yes and no. What if you choose the wrong word but spell it correctly? For example one instead of won.

Exactly my point. Computer spell checker as first point of call, then a human proof reader or two.

You just have to get this stuff right if you expect to be taken seriously to my mind.

Exactly my point. Computer spell checker as first point of call, then a human proof reader or two.

You just have to get this stuff right if you expect to be taken seriously to my mind.

Or 'gaffs' instead of 'gaffes'? See your post #19. Of course, you are not trying to appear 'professional', but the trouble with posting in this sort of thread is that one has to be much more careful than usual.

I still think it's all an exaggerated fuss about nothing in this case, a one-off courtesy notice. I would hope that their publicity and fundraising material would receive more attention. If you could point to similar mistakes in these publications, I would agree with you.

It was the missing THE.

It was indeed. That's a more of a typo not a grammar error in my book. No split infinitives or dangling participles that I could see.

However, you're right that technically, missing a THE is a grammar issue. And yes, ideally the sign would be free of all errors. I still think I'd rather have the sign though.

Well said Ange.

Sorry, I am Dutch and didn't know that you can write "bothered" also as "botherd", but I'm not good with the modern spell checkers.

Peter.

Not done very well from a professional organisation.Don't understand why you would remove the previous years growth if you wanted a taller hedge.Might have read it wrong or misunderstood it.

Doesn't pruning back of certain types of hedge encourage stronger and faster re-growth?

I don't profess to be green fingered at all but that is my understanding.

But the pronunciation of those words is different.

Ange , I do like the mental picture of people avoiding Cart's gaffs, with which they try to pin them to lock beams while they empty their pockets on money.

Edited by Athy

I think the more important point here is that they are cutting back hedge growth on the towpath so that cyclists and dog walkers can have a better experience, yet I still see vegetation (and quite a lot of it) obscuring a good chunk of the canal in places. Cyclists and Dog Walkers dont have to steer a bloody big and heavy boat while being unable to see where the front end is!

• Greenie 1

Hear hear. A glaring example of this treatment was at Shackerstone. Moorings between certain bridges were designated for the use of boats visiting the festival. So Cart knew that lots of boats would be mooring there. What did they do? Mowed the path, cut the hedges, but left reeds and weeds growing in such luxuriant profusion that many boaters (including us) could not moor within three feet of the edge and had to pull reeds up, cut weeds down, improvise landing stages, use planks for access and egress, and so on. I was quite appalled.

Well said Ange.

Not so easy to avoid the grammar gaffes though, is it? I think 'you're' would have been correct!

Getting back to the OP, for me the author of this poster is illustrating their poor standard of spelling rather than dyslexia or low intelligence, and this in turn is a reflection on the teaching profession. When I was in skool we used to get marked down points for glaring and obvious spelling mistakes such as this, even in subjects such as physics. When my youger sister went to the same skool, this had stopped happening.

My own kids' are also prone to similar errors. I once read an essay written by my son in his English class where he had spelled the word 'windows', 'windoze'. This had not been corrected by the teacher and he had no idea this was wrong.

When challenged about this his teacher said something like 'while they are young they need to learn to express themselves and be understood. Spelling is not important'. I think the miss-spelling in the poster is a reflection on teaching standards, The author of the poster was never taught correct spelling at school and probably has no idea that 'puncher' is wrong, as long as the reader of the poster understands the message.

The other point of view is of course that language continuously evolves. The miss-spelling 'gunnel' for 'gunwale' is now so common it will probably appear in the OED soon, along with possibly 'puncher' for 'puncture', and eventually 'your' for 'you're'.

MtB

I think the more important point here is that they are cutting back hedge growth on the towpath so that cyclists and dog walkers can have a better experience, yet I still see vegetation (and quite a lot of it) obscuring a good chunk of the canal in places. Cyclists and Dog Walkers dont have to steer a bloody big and heavy boat while being unable to see where the front end is!

Rufford, leaving the bank uncut at the water's edge is a deliberate CRT policy. They call the resulting forest 'fender growth'. Officially is is to preserve the habitat of the endangered water vole.

Unofficially it is to save money on cutting it. REALLY unofficially, OMO, it is to get force everyone onto visitor moorings, where they can eventually be charged every single time they tie up, just like on the Thames.

Cynical? Moi?

MtB

The other point of view is of course that language continuously evolves. The miss-spelling

MtB

.....is presumably an evolved spelling of "mis-spelling".

If an English teacher really said that to you, he should have been shown a one-way door post-haste.

.....is presumably an evolved spelling of "mis-spelling".

If an English teacher really said that to you, he should have been shown a one-way door post-haste.

Interesting. I initially typed 'mis-spelling' but my spell checker tells me it is wrong, and stupidly I believed it instead of my teacher!

MtB

A 'puncher' is one who punches.

Therefore a 'puncher repair kit' is obviously iodine, plasters etc to patch up a puncher who has been punched by a bigger/stronger/fitter pugalist than themselves.

It would appear that CaRT are expecting fisticuffs on the towpath in the Banbury area.

Simples innit?

smile.png

SAM en route to Liverpool

No but amusingly, my younger daughter (at about age 7) secured the displeasure of her primary skool teacher by repeatedly pointing out teacher's spelling mistakes on the blackboard in front of the class, and telling us gleefully each day when she got home which words the teacher had mis-spelled today.

This teacher's basic spelling mistakes became a family joke, particularly as her name was Miss Spelman.

MtB