Jump to content

butler/belfast sink waste fitting

Featured Posts



i have a query about plumbing a new belfast sink into my galley. the waste fitting has a 1.5 inch screw thread. i want to get hold of an angled fitting that screws onto the base with a nozzle for a 20mm hose to drain the water out through the skin fitting. i have seen a few straight fittings like this, but because of the depth of the sink and the height of the skin fitting i need to have the fitting with a right-angled (or as close to it as possible) connector. all the angled connectors i've seen are for standard kitchen sinks with a screw insert to accept a central screw from the middle of the plug-hole. What i need is one that screws onto a 1.5 inch down-pipe waste. Does that make sense???


any advice would be much appreciated, as ever!

to clarify:


what i need is a fitting like this:




but which screws onto the base of this:



Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most compact decent solution would probably be:


Fit a standard sink waste fitting, followed by a 1.5" brass elbow. having cut the sink waste fitting down so that the elbow screws up nearly to the underside of the waste fitting locknut.

Fit a 1.5" x 3/4" reducer in the other end of the elbow to accept a threaded hose tail that will take a 20 mm hose.

Ensure that all threads are well sealed.


Chris G


PS This is about the only occasion when you have to seal on a parallel thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The elbow and reducer certainly should be (or from BES on line). The hose tail might be slightly more problematic, but any decent chandlery would have one.


Chris G

Edited to add - the comment about plumbers' merchants refers to the ones local to me - there are much better ones in other parts of the country!

Edited by Batavia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nope! but thanks for looking. this one is just for your normal sink, i.e. a central screw that locates into the waste immediately below the sinkhole. with the belfast/butler, there is a long, 1.5 inch threaded cylinder which passes down the depth of the sink (around 6 cm) and sticks out the bottom. in a house you screw your trap etc straight onto that. i need a right angle nozzle from that 1.5 inch fitting...



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might be able to get a reducing elbow that'll need a bit less depth, BES should do them, if not brass maybe in iron or stainless:




Might be a bit less prone to blockage than an equal elbow and reducer.


ETA: something like BES # 8686 or 8490


cheers, Pete.


Edited by smileypete
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.