overpainting owatrol oil with toplac?

berth

Featured Posts

Hello,

I bought a narrowboat with some rust on the superstructure. Can I use Owatrol Oil as a primer and over paint it with International Toplac or similar alkyds?

Thanks

I have used Owatrol on wood in the past, and painted over it with Toplac, and I have to say I noticed no improvement over conventional primer, except for cost!! The paint still peeled off in less than three years - smoke and miorrors is my assessment.

I thought you were supposed to mix the Owatrol (25%) with the primer and reduce the proportions of Owatrol mixed in with the paint as you move through to undercoat and topcoats.

I've never tried painting it on neat, but I think I'd rather just remove the rust properly and prime with a good primer.

http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-rustol-owatrol

Edited by blackrose

Owatrol can be effective as it purges moisture from the rust so when you do overcoat it the rust hasn't anything to work with.

On rusty metal I've found it as good as anything.

I can't see the point in using it neat on wood. I have used it on wood as a paint conditioner which is its other function.

A common method is to wire brush or grind as much of the rust away as poss, then use a zinc phospate rust inhibiting primer, Bonda Primer is a good one.

Some swear by, or at, Vactan and similar treatements; whilst handy for nooks and crannies it can be reluctant to cure in the colder weather.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Owatrol is great painted neat onto bare metal that has been wire-brushed to remove loose rust. It drives out any water and forms a very good barrier.

There is no point in using it on wood.

It can be effective on *soft* timber before applying a primer.