shaver sockets - can i turn these into normal 240 (or 230?) v plug sockets

Featured Posts

hiya

quick query!!

our narrowboat started life as a holiday boat and so there is an absolute proliferation of unwanted 230v/115v shaver sockets!! these are big and heavy with internal transformers, currently unused but connected to our 230/240v system powered by our inverter. can these unwanted sockets be rewired into normal 240v plug sockets?? also, can someone enlighten me as to whether we (terrestrial, and riverine with inverters) use 240v or 230v?? i always thought it was the former, but someone told me this has changed to the latter?? am i being wound up?? is the earth not flat?

SB

hiya

quick query!!

our narrowboat started life as a holiday boat and so there is an absolute proliferation of unwanted 230v/115v shaver sockets!! these are big and heavy with internal transformers, currently unused but connected to our 230/240v system powered by our inverter. can these unwanted sockets be rewired into normal 240v plug sockets?? also, can someone enlighten me as to whether we (terrestrial, and riverine with inverters) use 240v or 230v?? i always thought it was the former, but someone told me this has changed to the latter?? am i being wound up?? is the earth not flat?

SB

We were 240v, we are now 230v - with a -6% and +10% range.

The simple bit, the sockets can be changed but, if in the bathroom should not be done, also the size of the cable and fusing should also be checked, to check suitability

As for the terrestrial/inverter/generator voltage it can be any of them, 220, 230 240.

The 'mains' equipment will not worry about any difference.

Here some info on why we now 230v...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity#Standardization

Following voltage harmonization, electricity supplies within the European Union are now nominally 230 V ± 10% at 50 Hz.[1] For a transition period (1995–2008), countries that had previously used 220 V changed to a narrower asymmetric tolerance range of 230 V +6% −10% and those (like the UK) that had previously used 240 V changed to 230 V +10% −6%.[2] No change in voltage is required by either system as both 220 V and 240 V fall within the lower 230 V tolerance bands (230 V ±10%). Some areas of the UK still have 250 volts for legacy reasons, but these also fall within the 10% tolerance band of 230 volts. In practice, this allows countries to continue to supply the same voltage (220 or 240 V), at least until existing supply transformers are replaced. Equipment (with the exception of filament bulbs) used in these countries is designed to accept any voltage within the specified range.

Edited by Robbo

HI Robbo & Bottle - appreciate the swift reply. The sockets are not in the bathroom, as I have recently reconfigured the boat layout - also they were all originally next to hand basins, rather than in the main bathroom. Yes, wire-sizing was my main worry as I noticed a slightly different wire size in the original owners manual for the boat between the 230/240 mains sockets and the shaver sockets, although I don;t have that info to hand. There's not a chance on god's green earth that I'm re-wiring, so does that mean I am stuck with these redundant sockets??

cheers for the info robbo

If you can find out the size of the cable and then fuse for that size then fitting square pin sockets (13 amp) will not be a problem, if by some unlikely event someone connected a piece of equipment that was to big (amperage) then all that would happen is the fuse would blow, but the fuse protecting the cable must be of suitable size to protect the cable.

I was under the impression that the way shaver sockets are configured internally they are incapable of producing any large amount of current. So they are OK for shavers, phone chargers and the like, but not suitable for anything that draws any significant current.

Which is why they are approved for use in bathrooms.

Ken

I was under the impression that the way shaver sockets are configured internally they are incapable of producing any large amount of current. So they are OK for shavers, phone chargers and the like, but not suitable for anything that draws any significant current.

Which is why they are approved for use in bathrooms.

Ken

I have been out of the game for a long time, but from memory a shaver socket creates a centre tap earth via a transformer. The low loading capacity is purely down to the rather small transformer. Others will correct me if I am wrong.

In a bathroom ONLY approved shaver sockets may be fitted -it's mainly reduction of risk of shock in a wet place.

In other places then you can refit them with ordinary sockets if you wish. HOWEVER shaver sockes can be an off size and there may be some neat finishing work needed to cover the gaps.

Assuming that your input is a 16/13 amp connector it would have to be very (obviously) thin cable for it to be undersize to be protected by the main breaker.

We were 240v, we are now 230v - with a -6% and +10% range.

Except that mains voltage in houses is commonly above 230v +10%. The electricity supply to the boiler I fixed yesterday afternoon for example measured 256vAC according to my instrumentation.

MtB

There are three completely (almost) separate issues that seem to have got jumbled across the posts. This is certainly down to my reading and no slur intended on any of the posters.

1. A shaver socket has c230v ac voltage across a coil. The current flowing through that coil induces a current through a different coil and that current flows through the shaver circuit. Thus, at no point, is the 'mains' (whether from mains or inverter) current flowing through the shaver circuit. This should not be changed if the intended use and siting (eg bathroom) remains the same.

2. The voltage to the shaver socket is 230v ac. How you use that socket is entirely up to you subject to compliance with regulations and the power draw that the system will allow.

3. Having multiple outlets does not imply multiple use is acceptable to your system.

You can change a shaver socket for a 230v 'normal' socket, subject to those conditions.

From what you have stated, this then means yes, in plain English, change to normal sockets if not in the bathroom and do not plug in anything more than a 150W drain (a guesstimate - you have to check). The check is all about things others have posted:

wiring capacity

fuses

inverter

etc.

If I were to guess I would say that your shaver socket can power a phone, laptop and so on (as stated in other posts) so the c230v ac socket in its place should be able to do the same. If you had five of these on the go at once I think you would have a problem running from the inverter. Having the convenience of having all those sockets in various places does not mean they can all be used at the same time.

If you are asking what a BSS examiner view would be, I don't think you can get a definitive or authoritative answer via a virtual forum.

All shorthand and I am sure I will be told there are all sorts of other factors (quite rightly). Also, apologies if I have stated the obvious and if I have repeated what others have stated.

BTW, I am not sure there any 'quick queries', Any of my so-called five-minute jobs invariably lead to a lot more work than I had envisaged ,,, happy.png ... and that may just be me ... but I suspect the same notion follows with queries ... unsure.png

Edited by brian1042