Stourbridge town arm

nicknorman

Featured Posts

The Old Main Line was very clear a few weeks ago from Brades to Tipton, and I assumed it was from a temporary lack of boats (Smethwick locks were closed), but now I come to think about it, the central channel between the waterlilies and other aquatic vegetation would indicate it isn't used much anyway, most boats just barging along the 'motorway' below. Is this so? The OML is much more attractive.

The Old Main Line was very clear a few weeks ago from Brades to Tipton, and I assumed it was from a temporary lack of boats (Smethwick locks were closed), but now I come to think about it, the central channel between the waterlilies and other aquatic vegetation would indicate it isn't used much anyway, most boats just barging along the 'motorway' below. Is this so? The OML is much more attractive.

I think the water in that section is always clear, it has been when we have been on it. However, there is one spot at least where there is ominous bubbling of the water in an area at the offside, don't like that!

I actually like the New Main Line best, it has such a sense of history.

Just passed Dadford's. Yes, very picturesque, although it would have looked better if it had more closely resembled Glascote basin. I did notice a profusion of worms in the water, just waiting for their lunch.

And the next little pound pretty with what really ought to be a pub but is in fact a store/off licence.

If you want to see something that looks like Glascote basin look at a shoe shop.

( nice row of winkle pickers)

Edited by andywatson
  • Greenie 1

Just passed Dadford's. Yes, very picturesque, although it would have looked better if it had more closely resembled Glascote basin. I did notice a profusion of worms in the water, just waiting for their lunch.

The little buggers must be starving then, not many wood boats around Dadfords.

Anyway, on a more serious note why is it called Dadford's (or is it Dadfords?). I noticed a street name a mile or so further on called Dadford View. So is it the name of the locale, or of a Mr Daford who set up the business?

Because the Laird owns all the houses?

Richard

No, because solicitors do property buying /selling / conveyancing. It is a good system in that, for example, all properties for sale in Aberdeen and surrounding area can be found on one website - the Aberdeen Solicitors Property Centre. Same for other cities / regions. Also, solicitors tend to be beasts of slightly higher integrity than estate agents.

Anyway, on a more serious note why is it called Dadford's (or is it Dadfords?). I noticed a street name a mile or so further on called Dadford View. So is it the name of the locale, or of a Mr Daford who set up the business?

Never considered it before. Heartland is probably the one to enlighten us on it's history it is also a stange shaped shed as it is tapered.

It's known as Dadford's Wharf, the Shed is known locally as The Black Shed and was a grain transhipment point. Dave Harris, Ian Kemp and John Sanderson work in the basin. Cobbett was built in the Shed as was Primus, Gazelle was built by Kempy on the hardstanding outside. It's a grand place.

Edited 'cos I have fat fingers.

Edited by wrigglefingers

Perhaps the grain came in by horse drawn cart from the local farms and was transhipped into the canal boats?

Possibly, but I would have thought it more logical to have the transshipment point not half way up a flight of closely spaced and deep locks. Either at the top, or more sensibly at the bottom, where the land is flat and easy for road travel with 1 hp. There will of course be a good explanation, but it eludes me at the moment!

Edited by nicknorman

In the 1960’s I used to walk home from school past Dadfords wharf. The building then housed scrap metal.

About 200 yards along the level road from the wharf was Webbs seed mill. On both sides of the road were three or four story buildings with lots of noise and activity concerning grain or seeds. In earlier days Dadfords wharf would have provided a very easy transhipment point for whatever the seed mill produced. Although I have no idea if it was ever used for this purpose the seed mill would explain the need for the wharf.

IIRC the grain business was originally quite a large site and included the land on the other side of the cut where the new houses are now. I think Dave told me that.

There was once a house in the top corner of the site.

There is an info board with some potted history and old maps on the towpath approximately opposite to the glass cone.

One of us should have a gander at that.

The cut is bridged adjacent to the end of the shed by those sleepers where tea breaks are taken in good weather.

It amuses me to think that in years to come someone will find hundreds of missing teaspoons and think they might have been made there.

The Martian version of Team Time will have an excellent time fishing ritual teaspoons out of the basin. They will wonder if they were the sacrifices to the BW cult.

Nick you make me smile, wooden boats as a midlife chrisis for trees! Us steel boat owners just have to look out for the metal moth

Somebody else can make the cargo cult joke.

Oh and Stourbridge,I like it.great place.

It's known as Dadford's Wharf, the Shed is known locally as The Black Shed and was a grain transhipment point. Dave Harris, Ian Kemp and John Sanderson work in the basin. Cobbett was built in the Shed as was Primus, Gazelle was built by Kempy on the hardstanding outside. It's a grand place.

Edited 'cos I have fat fingers.

Actually Gazelle was built inside the shed, Ian normally likes to work outside.

IIRC the grain business was originally quite a large site and included the land on the other side of the cut where the new houses are now. I think Dave told me that.

There was once a house in the top corner of the site.

There is an info board with some potted history and old maps on the towpath approximately opposite to the glass cone.

One of us should have a gander at that.

The cut is bridged adjacent to the end of the shed by those sleepers where tea breaks are taken in good weather.

It amuses me to think that in years to come someone will find hundreds of missing teaspoons and think they might have been made there.

Ha, Watson most will have "Lufhansa" stamped on them.

• 3 years later...