Work from boat.

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

I know that any commercial advertising is frowned upon and I agree with this 100%.

But, as people work from home I am sure that there are people that work from boat. A member recently posted about her situation and I am sure that a few other members may have similar dilemma's.

What about a new forum or sub forum under for sale & wanted where members that work from boat (not home) can .............

1. Advertise the product or service. (Maybe only allowed after say 250 "quality" posts in open forum)

2. Get ideas for products or services that can be offered from a boat.

3. Get advise on starting a small business.

4. List car boot, flea markets or art and craft markets along the canal that can items can be sold from.

5. Think tank, brain storm and trouble shoot.

Fuel and coal boats already have a pinned place of the forum.

Perhaps expanding it to other traders and on board workers in some way is a good idea....it would have my support.

I often work from my boat...but that is using it more as a home office than as a business marketing a product....my ' product' is heritage project management...hardly something other forum members are likely to use!

Yes, a new Work from boat section. Is a good idea. And stick the coal boats in there as well. Good to have a place to ask for guidance and advice from those who actually do it. Instead of misinformed guesses from those who don't. I have a few questions I could think of already.

I am always willing to consider suggestions for new forum sections, there is always a balance between having enough/appropriate sections and having too many sections fragmenting the forum, however equally we having grown over the last few years and a review on forum areas is due so I shall add it to the considerations.

Any further comments/support welcome.

Topic moved/duplicated over to the 'suggestions' forum.

Daniel

Yes, a new Work from boat section. Is a good idea. And stick the coal boats in there as well. Good to have a place to ask for guidance and advice from those who actually do it. Instead of misinformed guesses from those who don't. I have a few questions I could think of already.

What that man said and, house sold, boat bought, it would be good to have a place to offer services and look for same within the boating comunity.

I think it might be a good idea to inform fellow boaters of services you offer (to boaters) no matter where you live. There are already references to the skills of a steelworker, and the advice frequently given regarding BSC matters is very good since it usually comes from someone doing inspections.

Free small adds are currently available on canaljunction.com

Mike.

Canal junction have a business opportunities section also. There are two listings at the moment. One for the sale of a boat brokerage and the other for the sale of a boat hotel business. To be honest, Canal Junction looks like one big commercial to me. Perception is reality.

I suppose that it could happen that businesses like these are offered for sale on this site but that isn't really what I was suggesting.

It was more in the boat industry/home boat industry that I was suggesting. Pegs and plastic flowers, painted cans, tiller pins and so on. Even doing the books for other small canal based businesses by "retired" accountants and book keepers. IT support also. If anyone really understands the needs of "boat people" then it's other "boat people"

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I too think this is a good idea, I wonder if concentrating posts from folk who work from their boats might give CRT an easy way of finding out who should have trading licences. At the moment the information is there but spread through several sections and therefore not all that easy to track down. If we make it easy for ourselves we may also be making it easy for others :-)

Just my thoughts.

this is a brilliant idea I always use the fuel boats when I can .

I have a small bit of welding to pull alongside a boat and have it done would be ideal.

Give Capt Fizz a shout, he's a Wizz at welding and has a portable welder which fits on his boat :)

= welded our bike rack on the back of the boat on the tow path boat.gif (that's after he fabricated it in his shop)clapping.gif