Accumulators advice

davidc

Featured Posts

My accumulator is the air in the top of the hot water cylinder (horizontal) that I can't get rid of.

Suggestions that I get hung up in a lock, that we all stand on back deck holding elephants, that I drill and fit a bleed valve to get rid.

I quite like the effect, but it's working my pump too hard, too much leccy.

Going to try reducing the pressure on the pump.

Its not working your pump any harder, in fact it is cutting down the start cycles so reducing power.

Nope. The pump works relatively freely when not pumping against a closed system. It uses increasingly more power as it works against what is effectively a greater rise - you can hear it struggling to get the final few psi in.

There is a tendency to assume that an electric motor uses the power it's rated at no matter what it is doing, this is nae true. My lathe uses 200w just to turn a blank round, which rises steadily to 1kw as I ask it to work harder.

I think the default on the pump is 30psi, this is almost mains pressure - squirts water oot the tap like it anyway.

Nope. The pump works relatively freely when not pumping against a closed system. It uses increasingly more power as it works against what is effectively a greater rise - you can hear it struggling to get the final few psi in.

There is a tendency to assume that an electric motor uses the power it's rated at no matter what it is doing, this is nae true. My lathe uses 200w just to turn a blank round, which rises steadily to 1kw as I ask it to work harder.

I think the default on the pump is 30psi, this is almost mains pressure - squirts water oot the tap like it anyway.

As you say its the pressure not the accumulator effect.

• 1 year later...

Is there any advantage having a 10ltr accumulator tank over a 5?

<<snip>>

The only advantage I'm aware of is that the water pump will have to start n stop less frequently, which will probably allow it to live a little longer.

Mind you - - we have a 5Ltr accumulator - - tho' will probably be replaced by a larger one when it expires!