Not a bloody clue!

JammyJess

Featured Posts

.......back to the original topic !

When not actually moving boats, these people are in my area :- http://www.wemoveanynarrowboat.co.uk

Hope this may help !

A useful service, and others on here provide similar, TBH I may be prejudiced but unless boats are trailable I prefer them to move by water if possible, and I suspect (but don't know) that some people dismiss moving the boat by water, either themselves or with services such as this, because they don't know enough about it.

One thing, I'd have expected insurance to be in the FAQ's. How does insurance of the boat work whilst it is being moved? My boat allows friends to borrow it but it can not be used for commercial gain: it is unclear whether that is my commercial gain or that of those moving the boat.

OP, they don't actually bite on the western K&A, but yes, the rules are being tightened up.

A useful service, and others on here provide similar, TBH I may be prejudiced but unless boats are trailable I prefer them to move by water if possible, and I suspect (but don't know) that some people dismiss moving the boat by water, either themselves or with services such as this, because they don't know enough about it.

One thing, I'd have expected insurance to be in the FAQ's. How does insurance of the boat work whilst it is being moved? My boat allows friends to borrow it but it can not be used for commercial gain: it is unclear whether that is my commercial gain or that of those moving the boat.

OP, they don't actually bite on the western K&A, but yes, the rules are being tightened up.

I think it depends on your insurance cover. Ours specifically states that it covers the boat whilst in transit.

This threads run from topic a bit hasn't it!

Its fair enough to an extent to point out to the OP, in case they hadn't realised it, that the K&A is an area where moorings are few and far between, and or that people will take a dim view of boats that flaunt the 14day or 'continuous cruising' rules. However, beyond that, bloody 'ell...

As to the topic in hand, as said, there are three option this instance.

- Pay someone to crane it out, low loader it, and crane it back in at the other end.

- Arrange for someone to boat it down for you, almost certainly via the canal route.

- Take a week off work, and finish the job off on a few weekends once its less far to drive.

- And or, mix of the above.

For instance, you might have someone move it half the way, and do the rest yourself, but equally if you boat it to a yard with a crane who are willing to load it for you (and ensure the lorry is willing to be loaded by there crane) at do the reverse at the other end, you will save on having to hire a crane at both ends.

There my also be scope for friends and or fellow forum members to assist in moving the boat, as well as professional boat movers, but obviously while more expensive the latter will (should) have all the relevant insurance should the worst happen, where as if not it going to be down you just as it would be if you where moving it.

I don't know you reasons for buying a boat as a place to live, but if its because your interested in boats and or boating, I would certainly aim to do some of the moving if you can, just because most find it good fun.

Finally, welcome to the forum!

Daniel