Not a bloody clue!

JammyJess

Featured Posts

My boyfriend and I are buying a boat, hurrah! I have lived on a boat before but never bought or had to transport one. The boat we want is on the Llangollen canal, we are on Kennett and Avon near bath. Apparently this journey is possible by canal but would take over a month! We can't take that much time of work. Does anyone know how much it might cost us to have it transported by lorry or taken by canal by someone else?

Hi I know someone who moves boats, if you PM me I can give you his details

I assumed nothing. Asking questions about another posters section 8 is none of our business either. In fact if we kept posts to things that are only our business, posts would be sparce.

Perhaps it was the way you asked the question. Rather accusatory I thought.

It didn't come across so much as an innocent question, but more of a reaction.

Who knows, the OP may have a mooring on the K&A.

In the same sense, since we don't know the owners' circumstances, it's not really up to us to tell them how they should move their boat. It's up to them to decide if they want to move their boat themselves, have someone else move it or even get it transported by road. Although it's fine to make suggestions, yours sound more like judgements. I remember you said something smug to me like "most of us leave our boats on the towpath" when I was asking about marinas on the K&A, but then a few weeks later you were asking the same question about marinas where you could leave your boat safely!

Perhaps it was the way you asked the question. Rather accusatory I thought.

It didn't come across so much as an innocent question, but more of a reaction.

Who knows, the OP may have a mooring on the K&A.

In the same sense, since we don't know the owners' circumstances, it's not really up to us to tell them how they should move their boat. It's up to them to decide if they want to move their boat themselves, have someone else move it or even get it transported by road. Although it's fine to make suggestions, yours sound more like judgements. I remember you said something smug to me like "most of us leave our boats on the towpath" when I was asking about marinas on the K&A, but then a few weeks later you were asking the same question about marinas where you could leave your boat safely!

Well in my case I'm not 'telling' any body anything, I'm suggesting an alternative that they may not have considered.

Edited by The Dog House

My my we are a sensitive lot! If a new poster came on and was asking about batteries, we'd all be explaining about 50% and sulphation even if they hadn't specifically asked about those things. Nobody would be accusing anyone of the inappropriateness of giving advice where it hadn't specifically been asked for. But as soon as living on the K&A is mentioned, it transpires that any advice around CCing etc is taboo. What a weird situation!

I also don't get why sueb gets such a hard time, her posts seem pretty innocuous to me. So both a weird and unfriendly lot. Still, its better than Mumsnet apparently.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

My my we are a sensitive lot! If a new poster came on and was asking about batteries, we'd all be explaining about 50% and sulphation even if they hadn't specifically asked about those things. Nobody would be accusing anyone of the inappropriateness of giving advice where it hadn't specifically been asked for. But as soon as living on the K&A is mentioned, it transpires that any advice around CCing etc is taboo. What a weird situation!

I also don't get why sueb gets such a hard time, her posts seem pretty innocuous to me. So both a weird and unfriendly lot. Still, its better than Mumsnet apparently.

Did you read a different post to the rest of us?

"I do hope you have a mooring on the K&A to keep it and are not planning to CC."

Hardly the friendliest of opening posts to a complete newbie asking for advice about moving their boat. It doesnt even refer to the question askedwacko.png

"I do hope you have a mooring on the K&A to keep it and are not planning to CC."

Hardly the friendliest of opening posts to a complete newbie asking for advice about moving their boat. It doesnt even refer to the question asked:wacko:

Agreed theres quite a few on here who don't currently have a boat on the canals , perhaps it's easier to try and score points than actually make one sometimes.

Hardly the friendliest of opening posts to a complete newbie asking for advice about moving their boat. It doesnt even refer to the question asked:wacko:

However, would it be better not to mention the whole CMing thing and either hope the OP was aware, or not care if the OP was not aware and was going to end up in trouble? If I were the OP, it would not be that post that put me off, but the ensuing bickering and nastiness.

However, would it be better not to mention the whole CMing thing and either hope the OP was aware, or not care if the OP was not aware and was going to end up in trouble? If I were the OP, it would not be that post that put me off, but the ensuing bickering and nastiness.

Perhaps some slightly better wording would have made the post less confrontational and got a better reaction from folks.

We dont know what the OP's plans are when they get to the K&A. Perhaps they could clarify that if they have not run a mile already.

Perhaps some slightly better wording would have made the post less confrontational and got a better reaction from folks.

We dont know what the OP's plans are when they get to the K&A. Perhaps they could clarify that if they have not run a mile already.

I doubt the OP saw it as confrontational, only the old timer respondents on here. Yes it could have been worded better like just about everything else, but perhaps sue wasn't expecting such a degree of scrutiny (although yes, I suppose she should have realised the reaction she might get from others given the history and sensitivities).

My my we are a sensitive lot! If a new poster came on and was asking about batteries, we'd all be explaining about 50% and sulphation even if they hadn't specifically asked about those things.

We wouldn't be saying "I hope you're not intending to dodge the BSS rules by making an unsafe battery installation." though, would we?

We would assume the poster would be complying with the regulations and asking a genuine question.

Explaining about discharge and sulphation is advice whereas suggesting someone looking for advice is going to break the law is unpleasant meddling.

Agreed theres quite a few on here who don't currently have a boat on the canals.

Why is that relevant?

Just because Sue has sold her boat doesn't mean she has no right to comment (and just because my boat is on a river doesn't mean I have no right to criticise her comment).

I have twice met boaters on passage to the western K&A in order to take advantage of RMPs and unaware they would not qualify for one, should I have kept my mouth shut and let them find out when the shouting starts? I recall one poster on here intending the same, let them get on with it for fear of being branded a bigot?

The OP referred to having lived aboard before and gives an area rather than a place, a friendly caution just in case is a long way from an anti CC rant.

I have twice met boaters on passage to the western K&A in order to take advantage of RMPs and unaware they would not qualify for one...

Did they tell you that or did you make the assumption?

Sueb did not issue a note of caution, should the OP not understand the RMP rules.

She specifically said she hoped the OP wasn't intending on becoming a "ccer" which is a completely different thing to either an "overstayer" or an "RMPer".

Nobody has branded anybody a bigot, btw.

Did they tell you that or did you make the assumption?

They told me that whilst sharing locks. In both cases they were from the south Oxford and heading for the Bath area to take up a RMP because of the hassle they were getting trying to stay in Oxford. They volunteered this information because they were highly supportive of the idea and quite relieved to be out of the enforcement process. They were less enthusiastic when told RMPs were available on a grandfather rights basis and intending to continue and find out for themselves.

Shows the value of doing your research I suppose but if half a dozen boaters had been there saying "He's right you know" and referring to documentary evidence and BEFORE they'd left Oxford it would have done them a favour. I would like to think those half dozen boaters could do that favour on here without being condemned.

I would like to think those half dozen boaters could do that favour on here without being condemned.

If the information is volunteered then I am sure far more than half a dozen boaters on here will tell them that they won't qualify for a RMP and will not be "condemned" for providing the advice.

I maintain though that that is not what the OP suggested nor is it what SueB said she hoped they were not going to do.

JammyJess - if your still there feel free to tiptoe away from the domestic and ask for more info. The point being made is that if you haven't got a mooring arranged and are hoping to just lurk on the towpath, it's not that simple any more and there are historical reasons why it's possibly more of an issue on parts of the K and A.