Meet Dinner

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Been back to pick up some more pig this evening but also to meet the latest additions to the flock.

These piggies are about six weeks old and won't be ready until after Christmas. The ones we met last time are ready to meet the butcher next week so we said goodbye!

null_zps6307c288.jpg

null_zps93b2bf01.jpg

All meat is murder, as any truly compassionate human being knows.

Yes but tasty, yummy murder, maintaining the environment and preserving wildlife habitat, as any truly compassionate omnivorous human being knows. wink.png

If every compassionate human being in the country turned vegetarian then Britain's countryside would become a sterile, lifeless food factory.

• Greenie 1

Been back to pick up some more pig this evening but also to meet the latest additions to the flock.

These piggies are about six weeks old and won't be ready until after Christmas. The ones we met last time are ready to meet the butcher next week so we said goodbye!

Are these flying pigs?

Just asking...

Are these flying pigs?

Just asking...

Not that I'm aware of.

What is the correct word for a flock of pigs?

There are a couple of butchers in Leeds Market that normally sell mutton.

Makes a great curry!

Makes good burgers as well.

Got some goat at home to curry in the week.

What is the correct word for a flock of pigs?

Drove , Herd or Litter, or a Farrow of piglets, both those look to big to be called that any more.

Most common is herd though.

Sheep come in a flock.

Sue.

Jamaican style, yes?

Paradoxically, I heard years ago that what Jamaicans sell as "curry goat" is not goat at all, it's....mutton!

No one has mentioned hoggets yet - sheep between 1 and 2 years old, a term used in agriculture but not in shops over here. I remember being in New Zealand and seeing meat in a butcher's; it was labelled "hogget" and U had to ask my host family what it was.

• 3 weeks later...

ALL kinds of meet?

Horse? Rabbit? Pigeon? Squirrel? Hedgehog? Rat?

MtB

I haven't had chance to try the last 3 but I have had all the first 3 all good.

To be honest as far as I can see there are only two diets which are sustainable on a large scale -omnivore and vegan. Vegetarian usually means lacto-vegetarian adding cheese milk etc to the diet. That couldn't be taken up by the majority as it requires the use of omnivores to eat the surplus animals. Take milk for example to give milk the cow requires a calf every year (roughly) she will give milk for a number of years (I once knew of a house cow that was on its 23 calf). so you either raise a number of calves for meat or kill them at day old. Killing them at day old because of vegetarianism would be as far as I am concerned plain wrong. Better a life of a year or so than just a day.

ALL kinds of meet?

I have yet to knowingly try Rat (though I have my suspicions about the "meat curry" I ate in Nigeria)or hedgehog but all the others are very palatable and I have several pigeons and rabbits in my freezer, awaiting my attention.

ALL kinds of meet?

MtB

Yup, eaten them all apart from a rat. Including snake, locust and a wild boar (I was in Germany on the NATO ranges at the time though and we shot and eat it whilst under canvas)

Yup, eaten them all apart from a rat. Including snake, locust and a wild boar (I was in Germany on the NATO ranges at the time though and we shot and eat it whilst under canvas)

We tried wild boar some time back and really enjoyed it.

It was part of an "exotic mixed grill" along with kangaroo and ostrich. Also tried crocodile steaks from the same place.

• 5 weeks later...

I would really like to try Hogget.

Somebody in the locally produced meat trade (at Hayfield show) told me that New Zealanders don't eat lamb. All their lamb goes abroad, particularly to the UK. New Zealanders eat hogget apparently.