Multifuel stove help please

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone!

I have a Morso Squirrel multi-fuel stove installed on my narrowboat.

The chimney is attached to the stove top plate as opposed to the back plate. There is some light rust on the collar where the chimney meets the top plate and when I last lit the fire some smoke started leaking from around the collar joint. Does anyone have a recommendation about what to use to seal around the collar? I tried some stove cement but that cracked and flaked off as soon as the stove heated up…

Thanks - Davo

Heat resistant silicone is the modern way. Good for about 350 degrees C normally but I have my doubts this is high enough.

The trad way is to rake out the fire cement and press glass fibre rope into the gap. Choose the right diameter to be a tight fit. Buy it from boiler spares suppliers or ebay. Finish it off on top with fire cement. The fire cement doesn't really do much other than crack and fall off but it keeps the BSS inspector happy....

MtB

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/fjc-flexible-flue-jointing-comp-500gm?productID=e784c99f-cb80-4b80-9b52-1b12e059b2e3&catalogueLevelItemID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

Bought some of this a couple of weeks ago, haven't used it yet though, so can't comment on its effectiveness.

I notice it says "not to be used as fire cement" on the tub, presumably that means not inside the stove where temperatures are much higher?

Thanks for all the replies - I have just placed an order for the 1250 deg Victas HT silicone ...

Just found a crack in the stove glass, so I guess this needs replacing before the safety cert check in December. Any tips for removing the old glass - can't seem to budge the screws with a screw driver.

Cheers - Davo.

At the top of the door you do need to remove the cast iron air piece that covers the spin wheel hole.( One screw either side IIRC) Then at all four places just tap the clips round with a hammer and screwdriver until they are clear of the glass. Take remains of the glass out. Clean up the rebate the glass fits in. Work the clips to and from with plenty of oil so they are fairly free.

Refit the glass with the right sealing tape in the rebate ( its flat, sticky on one side and about 8 mm wide by 2mm thick) then very gently tap the clips back over the glass ensuring that you don't tap the glass.

Or shear the screws off then drill and tap for new ones. Use A2 or A4 stainless hex socket capscrews (Allen screws) rather than machine screws and fit these with lots of coppaslip or similar grease so you can get them undone next time.

N