Basingstoke canal

summer

Featured Posts

Basingstoke Canal Options Appraisal

Report to the Joint Management Committee

20 October 2006

1.3 The shortlisted options for detailed feasibility work were agreed as follows:

Option 1: Unchanged Management

• Cut the level of service

• Formalise the funding agreement

Option 2: Management by a third party

• British Waterways

• National Trust

• Set up independent body, such as a charitable trust (existing or new trust) or a Regional Park Authority

Option 3: Stop or limit use of the Canal

• Retain water but stop through boat movements

The whole report can be viewed here:

http://www.basingstoke-canal.co.uk/adminis...isal_201006.doc

taken from this site

http://www.basingstoke-canal.co.uk/

Edited by summer

Seems to be a problem with the SSI and the amount of navigations through the locks.

If the authority do not tackle this, and get more boats and activities onto the canal then it will die.

They have already looked into the 32 miles of canal to see what parts could be turned into reservoirs.

SSI limited amounts of boats = limited boat travel = no back pumping to help out low level cuts = no funding = no canal.

The canal was only restored 15 years ago and now where it is going????????????????????

Seems to be a problem with the SSI and the amount of navigations through the locks.

If the authority do not tackle this, and get more boats and activities onto the canal then it will die.

They have already looked into the 32 miles of canal to see what parts could be turned into reservoirs.

SSI limited amounts of boats = limited boat travel = no back pumping to help out low level cuts = no funding = no canal.

The canal was only restored 15 years ago and now where it is going????????????????????

Should I, as a local boater, be doing something to get down it? I am a guilty party for not regarding the basingstoke as part of my boating ring. I want to get involved in it, but it seems I need to book my boat through each lock - something which I find impossible to comprehend let alone do! Should I be making the effort to want to go down it? Is the problem that not enough boaters are wanting to travel down?

This is only one blokes opinion.

I found the basingstoke to be a semi restored ditch. It was a failure as a carrier because there was never enough water, and it is crippled as a cruising waterway for the same reason. Many people won't go up the Basingstoke for fear that one of the random emergency closures will trap them there. It needs either massive investment or forget it.

The Basingstoke has been in this 'fragile state' for as long as I can remember. I have visited the canal a couple of times when in the area. The canal seems to have everything going for it, nice environment it flows through an affluent attractive areas and seems to have very few engineering problems other than the age old one of water supply.

What it does not have is a good active society looking after it's interests. Other canals have been discovered, funded, restored and began to decline again while people around there have been standing around scratching their heads, but doing nothing other that printing pretty newsletters.

There have been one or two similar situations further north, what is required is for 'the old guard' to be turfed out and new dynamic people brought in. Easy for me to say!

Bones.

YES you do need to travel on it. They are hardly any boats moored on it now, or even use it. Only 6 or so boat (except Galleon) are on a 12 miles stretch!.

ITS A BEAUTIFULL PLACE!

http://www.thebriars.org.uk/basingstokecanal

You do not need to book your boat through, Pirbriht / St Johns were closed due to water but are now opn again. Only Ash lock needs to be booked, but is still passable.

There is ZERO community action, no PR, no shouts for Help and Aid. Nohing public at all.

Perhaps the local paper could be a great device, but its not used.

Needs a revolution there.....or a change of owner.

Edited by Neil D

Perhaps they should start allowing liveaboards! That would raise some income, ensure it was traversed and get people enthusiastic about it?

I could become a revolutionist under the right circumstances!!!

I am interested one doesn't have to book our way through... which just shows the PR isn't up to much. Who is in charge of doing something about it?

Bones,

Hence my webspace, trying to promote it (although still early days, I hoipe to have links toall the places of interest to encorouge travels...)

There are plans to make a marina at the visitors centre or Potters (next door, over the bridge) but these are light years away from being done.

Let me know if your coming up, I'll tag along fo a while..........

Bones,

Hence my webspace, trying to promote it (although still early days, I hoipe to have links toall the places of interest to encorouge travels...)

There are plans to make a marina at the visitors centre or Potters (next door, over the bridge) but these are light years away from being done.

Let me know if your coming up, I'll tag along fo a while..........

I'm locked in from 1st November so I don;'t think I will make it down there this year. In addition as there aren't many boats on there, and no liveaboards (apart from a small number clustered together) I don't fancy being the only boater at night as I don't know the area, so I will wait until spring when the evenings are lighter - I am doing the same for the Wey. I'll let you know when I go though!

Hi Yoda,

The locks are pretty big. Most of them are 72ft by 14ft.

The Canal is navigable for a distance of approximately 32 miles. Running upstream from the junction with the River Wey Navigation at West Byfleet to the winding hole at Greywell (the limit of navigation).

The Canal has 29 Locks: 6 at Woodham, 5 at St Johns, 3 at Brookwood, 14 at Deepcut and 1 near Aldershot.

Coming down?

Hi Yoda,

The locks are pretty big. Most of them are 72ft by 14ft.

The Canal is navigable for a distance of approximately 32 miles. Running upstream from the junction with the River Wey Navigation at West Byfleet to the winding hole at Greywell (the limit of navigation).

The Canal has 29 Locks: 6 at Woodham, 5 at St Johns, 3 at Brookwood, 14 at Deepcut and 1 near Aldershot.

Coming down?

Would like to but no chance at the moment. Besides if it's shallow I might get stuck as one of the boats draws more than 3 feet

Hi Yoda,

I do not see that as an issue for you. The reson some locks were closed was due to the he shortages n this area, not becuae the canal was too shallow to navigate - more a preventetive strike. The only weedy / dodgy area is Odiham to Greywell Tunnel (Closed) - but this is due to boats not makin the trip.

Good luck!

Couple of things worth a mention:

There are a couple of very low bridges 5ft10" so some high sided narrowboats may be unable to clear them, our weekend boat managed to clear Fleet Road ( IIRC the lowest) by only one inch.

A couple of the locks are very tight on 14ft be very careful when going down as its easy to get hung up.

One of the best canals in the country, just a pity I cant get the barge up there as the air draft of the barge is 6ft4"

J

Hi,

Yep, agreed, the Basingstoke is one of the prettiest in the UK.

THe Fleet Road bridge is indeed 5'10" ...Farnborough is also quiet low, but most boats make it, some have to take the tiller pin out!!.

If its balast you need, best fill up with as much water as you can by Ash Lock!!!.

Goods news!,

The Basingstoke Canal is saved - well for another year at least!.

Surrey CC and Hampshire BC have agreed a one year package.

Now onto the future..........

I shall put the basingstoke down as my first port of call when the thames locks open again.

Interestingly, I had a whole load of bumph about the Basingstoke sent to me by a friend who serves on the relevant commitee of Hampshire CC to ask my opinion. It's as well to remember that the politicians are advised by civil servants and they don't as a rule know any thing about canals.