Photo wanted

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

Tony, the best I have is this:

83gg.jpg

It was taken one November at Brownsover. If you pm me your email I can send you the original copies which you can enlarge then crop to show the rail.

Another thro' engine 'ole

qmql.jpg

Slightly clearer

rjxq.jpg

]

Edited by Ray T

We cruise past miles of what look like these on the A&CN, each time we go out and I had never realised this is what they were.

I could take some specific shots as we head back to our mooring tomorrow or Monday if needed......

Or will these not be ex rail lines (they sure look like them thinking about it)

Edited by The Dog House

We cruise past miles of what look like these on the A&CN, each time we go out and I had never realised this is what they were.

I could take some specific shots as we head back to our mooring tomorrow or Monday if needed......

Or will these not be ex rail lines (they sure look like them thinking about it)

You're right Martin - - I'm sure they are rail lines

Thanks all.

I have PMd Ray to ask for his photos, The top and bottom one, I can crop them to suit.

The particular section of the presentation I am working on is about how railways affected (effected?) the canals an dthe evidence that is still about.

Cheers

Thanks all.

I have PMd Ray to ask for his photos, The top and bottom one, I can crop them to suit.

The particular section of the presentation I am working on is about how railways affected (effected?) the canals an dthe evidence that is still about.

Cheers

Can I ask what/who the presentation is for? As someone with a big interest in the railways pre-electrification and a growing interest in the history of the canals, I would imagine it's the kind of thing i'd find interesting.

Can I ask what/who the presentation is for? As someone with a big interest in the railways pre-electrification and a growing interest in the history of the canals, I would imagine it's the kind of thing i'd find interesting.

It is for a Reading church OAPs club and the railway connection will only be on one image illustration what remains of that time, like mixed canal & railway brickwork, notices and those rails. My idea is to cover the canals in a very wide way that may encourage them to do a little more than walk blindly. This will include a bit of canal engineering, geology & topography, nature etc. All in 20 minutes!

The Stratford canal was famously owned by the Great Western. The weight limit signs at the bridges are supported on posts made from bridge rail

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Many of the walings on concrete canal walls from the 30's are old bullhead rail.

There is much of this on the bits of the GU that were widened and straightened in the depression era. I can think of quite a few lengths in the Rugby area for example.

Early In my career as a railway civil engineer, in the 1970's, it was still fairly common to use old bullhead rail (BH) for all kinds of engineering jobs as there was lots of it around as scrap.

I've now remembered where I was admiring the forming of the rail around the lock forbay head, and wondering how they did it.

Answer has now come to me - Church Minshall Lock , so now looking for a picture of a fore-bay of a lock on the new cut (assuming they are all the same - Shropshire Union canal and Railway Co. may be a clue why it is used here.

--

cheers Ian Mac