Decorative Ropework

lockedout

Featured Posts

Good evening everyone,

Thought long and hard (well for a second or two anyway) about whether to put this in Equipment or in Boating - settled on equipment but if any mods want to move it - please be my guest.

I learnt basic splicing many years ago when I worked on a dredger for a while, but I have never taken it any further than some very simple splices.

I would like to teach myself some more decorative ropework - tiller pin tassles, bell ropes, fenders, that kind of thing.

Does anyone have any advice on a book to buy so I can get started when the nights start drawing in? A quick search on Amazon reveals many to choose from.

(I suppose I could just plump for the 'Bible' - The Ashley Book of Knots - but it is a hell of a price and having seen a copy some time ago, I am not sure it would be ideal for the decorative craft stuff I would like to do)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nigel

I taught myself ropework from books & the internet..

The books I like are the RYA Knots,Splices & Ropework..it has very good explanations and lovely clear diagrams..Although a lot of the book is about tying basic knots there are a lot of the knots that are used within the decorative ropework itself. It is the book I would save if the boat went down! I learnt how to make 3 drop cabin strings from that book and have sold quite a few so it must have been helpful!

Also very good is Des Pawson's Knot Craft, he has 'recipes' for lanyards, bellropes, tiller coverings,beckets,Monkeys fists& mats amongst others!..I do find though that I needed the other book alongside it to refer to as I think Des works from the premise you have already done some ropework before.

Also it is well worth looking at the internet and You Tube..in particular JD Lenzing who goes by the name TIAT ( Tying it all together) and is a member of the Guild of KnotTyers he has produced a vast number of videos using paracord making lanyards, bracelets, balls & bundles but although tied with Paracord could equally well be tied with any other cordage.

This is his website

https://www.google.co.uk/#fp=238ebefbc6aa347e&q=fusion+knots

This is his You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/user/TyingItAllTogether

As for getting Rope to tie with I would recommend Tradline at Braunston..

And yes get yourself a small Swedish fid.!!

As ever, thanks guys, some really helpful suggestions.

I am actually a semi-retired lumpy water boater and have a good knowledge of what I suppose I would call working knots, but this is a new departure for me.

You never know it might even lead to a whole new business opportunity!

Thanks again :)