Sandwiches

bizzard

Featured Posts

If you make sandwiches a week or so before they are required to eat, do not add things like sliced tomatoes, cucumber, bootreet, or lettuce, as these will make the bread go all soggy, as I've just found out; they should be added separately and tucked in at the last minute, just before eating.

Edited by bizzard

I thought that making sandwiches that far ahead had perished with the demise of British Railways' traditional buffet cars, where they could be seen grinning menacingly, in the glass case on the counter beside the pale grey pork pies.

I have some friends coming on Saturday for a boat trip and I thought I'd throw a traditional picnic in a field down the river, yer know, Primus stove, tea, hard boiled eggs, cake and of course ''the sandwiches''. I've been busy lately and so thought I'd knock them up in advance, 'only a few days' as they should mature nicely which would enhance the taste (as per BR), I kept em in the fridge all carefully wrapped up to keep em fresh and all the flavour in but on inspection just now they've gone all soggy, the lettuce seems to have suffered the most, its gone all brown and slimy. So blow the expense I shall make some more in a minute, but will save the salad stuff to add on the day. mellow.png

How do you know what sandwiches you will want come Saturday?

Eh, sandwiches are sandwiches. However I made a comprehensive tasty selection, and am about to make another. You have to keep them moist so they look nice on the day but salad stuff is not keen on the wait, so I will tuck it in when no ones looking.. Its no use leaving sandwiches uncovered for ages (like BR did) as the bread all dries out and sort of curls up at the edges giving the game away and puts the guests off eating them, I want them to enjoy my picnic. I might make sausage rolls later too.

Make golden syrup sandwiches (or as we knew it as kids treacle) in advance they go really crispy and look gross but authentic, well if you had a Mam like me they did.

Thanks for the suggestion but I think the folk who are coming have got rotten teeth and diabetes already. closedeyes.gif

Edited by bizzard

Bizzrd, a sandwich is most definately not a sandwich. There is a vast variety.

Of course there are. There's ordinary sandwiches, Club sandwiches, those awful red hot toasted sandwich things done in an electric George Foreman toaster that burn and cause blisters in the mouth. Mine were or will be a tasty mixture of Primula cheese and tomato, Cheese and raw onion (my favorite) Cheese and cucumber, Beetroot and salad cream, corned beef and salad, egg and cress, homemade jam, peanut butter with sliced apple sprinkled with lemon juice and streaky bacon rashers, liver sausage and chutney, Prawn and salad, and more cheese to finish up with if anyones still alive, I mean hungry.

I used to have a work colleague who used to make 5 lots of meat or cheese filled sandwiches at the weekend and freeze them, removing 1 pack each evening- very bizarre!!

Why? I used to do this years ago, it saved time in the mornings & worked very well. Who wants to stand making a sandwich before you dash off to work? The only difference is that I took mine out of the freezer on each working morning.

Why? I used to do this years ago, it saved time in the mornings & worked very well. Who wants to stand making a sandwich before you dash off to work? The only difference is that I took mine out of the freezer on each working morning.

You might have saved even more time by taking the freezer to work each day and done with it.. The sandwiches would them be super fresh but a little brittle but if dipped in hot soup or tea would soon soften up and so save your teeth, if you've got any, if you haven't then it won't matter much and will give a nice crunchy texture.

Edited by bizzard

Oooohhhh, cheese & raw onion, yes indeedy!

Corned beef ones are best with either sandwich pickle or cole slaw.

My absolute favourites at the moment are bacon and mushroom, anointed with West Indian hot pepper sauce such as Dunn's River or Encona. As they are best eaten warm they are not really suitable for a picnic, but they're ace for breakfast, fill the tummy and wake up the taste buds.

You might have saved even more time by taking the freezer to work each day and done with it.. The sandwiches would them be super fresh but a little brittle but if dipped in hot soup or tea would soon soften up and so save your teeth, if you've got any, if you haven't then it won't matter much and will give a nice crunchy texture.

Nah, tried that. Lugging it in & out of the car put my back out.

Of course there are. There's ordinary sandwiches, Club sandwiches, those awful red hot toasted sandwich things done in an electric George Foreman toaster that burn and cause blisters in the mouth. Mine were or will be a tasty mixture of Primula cheese and tomato, Cheese and raw onion (my favorite) Cheese and cucumber, Beetroot and salad cream, corned beef and salad, egg and cress, homemade jam, peanut butter with sliced apple sprinkled with lemon juice and streaky bacon rashers, liver sausage and chutney, Prawn and salad, and more cheese to finish up with if anyones still alive, I mean hungry.

Yuk.

mmm..sounds yummy esp beetroot&salad cream and peanut butter and sliced apple slices :-) my favs are egg Mayo&sliced sweet peppers and cream cheese,sliced banana drizzled with honey, norty but nice. Have a fun filled and full tummies picnic :-)

There will be a steady procession of many different delicious sandwiches offered, ones with processed stuff inside and ones with unprocessed stuff inside, will process out on the boat to the picnic site. My own sandwiches which I shall eat on the sly, perhaps behind a tree will be crusty seed bread with a smoked salmon, apricot and lettuce filling, freshly made at 1.15pm sharp on Saturday. I shall squirt some food preservative stuff into my guests sandwiches this evening to make sure they're nice and fresh looking on the day. My guests don't seem to appreciate good wholesome food made by me, especially sandwiches for some odd reason, for when they think I'm not looking they always start rooting through em and opening them up to check on the contents, which is a very rude and impolite behavior in my opinion which embarrasses the host and hurts their feelings if they spot it going on, can make them burst into tears and go and hide. blush.png