Visitor Mooring Survey

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Have you sent it to the IWA and Narrowboatworld to publicise ??

Sent it to Narrowboatworld but they did not seem to want to give it a plug not quite sure why as they are supposed to be the voice of the canals.

The voice of the waterways telling it as it is!!!

Except when there is a survey

I wonder if they will use any part of it to prove a point!!!

Edited by cotswoldsman

Sent it to Narrowboatworld but they did not seem to want to give it a plug not quite sure why as they are supposed to be the voice of the canals.

The voice of the waterways telling it as it is!!!

Except when there is a survey

I wonder if they will use any part of it to prove a point!!!

I suspect that the editor has his fingers in his ears right now and is singing "La la la" very loudly.

I suspect that the editor has his fingers in his ears right now and is singing "La la la" very loudly.

Though the £25 charge is only a small part of the survey maybe they are worried that it might show their poll was flawed and if it says the same as their poll guess they will be the first to use it as a term of reference.

Though the £25 charge is only a small part of the survey maybe they are worried that it might show their poll was flawed and if it says the same as their poll guess they will be the first to use it as a term of reference.

NBW, as usual, presumes certain things that are not necessarily true, viz their statement that the end of their poll was "caused by those, and let's call a spade a spade—continuous moorers who don't care a damn about others [...] The 'no' lot used their [my emphasis] Canalworld Forum to swap ideas of how to beat the poll as soon as it was clear that boaters were in favour of the £25 charge"

So, according to NBW, "continuous moorers" (note that this forum apparently "belongs" to them!) are against the £25.00 charge, whilst "boaters" are in favour of it. Simples!

I suspect that your poll will shed some light on real opinions and show that NBW's flawed effort was merely a vehicle for justifying the editor's own prejudices and preconceptions.

Well I suspect that there will be support for the £25. Unfortunately there are a few selfish people around who think the mooring rules don't apply to them. Its no good having rules if there is no means of enforcing them. Whilst I am aware of all the issues surrounding the £25 "charge" personally I would prefer it to be a penalty even though there is currently no legal mechanism for it. That way, the idle rich shiny boaters won't feel justified in lingering on a short term mooring because they find £25 per day a trivial amount. Boating should be egalitarian, not giving preference to rich boaters.

But if there is no practicable stick to beat the in-your-face abusers with, they will just laugh at the patrol bods.

The work goes on!!!

Thanks to the help from Dekazer we have been able to put together what we consider a completely unbiased Survey on Visitor Moorings.

Why are we doing this? Well it is the only way to get peoples honest feedback on Visitor Moorings. Yes it does touch on the £25 charge but it is more about ensuring The Trust have a better understanding of how boaters view Visitor Mooring so that hopefully we end up one day with what the majority who take the time to answer would like.

this Survey is done in the spirit of working with the Trust to ensure ALL boaters are heard.

As in any Survey done via the internet it will only reflect the opinions of a minority. The survey will work on most modern phones so people are welcome to share the survey with others. This survey is not exclusive to CWDF and is not a poll, it is what it says on the Tin a SURVEY

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VisitorMoorings

We would welcome any feedback either via this Forum or direct by email

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Survey the information I hope will be valuable.

John, Steve and Lucy

You missed off the River Nene, but still completed it, as we do go up on the cut

WOW amazing not quite sure what else to say!!! We have reached the magic 1,000 completed Surveys!!! We are so grateful to those that completed the "survey"

Some very interesting results so far from a great variety of boaters, including 16% from Hire Boaters/Shared Ownership

I hope that this comment I received from a Senior Manager at CRT is dismissed by CRT

that it will be picked up by any but the most engaged activists. The large majority of boaters who just use their boats for occasional leisure trips and lead otherwise ‘normal’ lives just won’t be reached, and their views are equally important

Everyone's view is important I agree but sometimes I do get the feeling that the only view CRT are interested in is the one that agrees with them 100%

I would be interested if any "Non Activists" completed the survey but then I guess neither I or CRT will never know. Never realised there were so many "Activist" Hire Boaters!!

The Survey will remain open for at least another 3-4 days to try and attract a few more "Non Atavists" so if anyone knows any please ask them to complete the Survey

The Survey has now appeared on many Websites and Facebook Pages to try and reach every type of boater.

We are working on a number of other Surveys to try and ensure Boaters Opinions are heard on as many diverse topics as possible.

Once again a big THANK YOU

WOW amazing not quite sure what else to say!!! We have reached the magic 1,000 completed Surveys!!! We are so grateful to those that completed the "survey"

Some very interesting results so far from a great variety of boaters, including 16% from Hire Boaters/Shared Ownership

I hope that this comment I received from a Senior Manager at CRT is dismissed by CRT

that it will be picked up by any but the most engaged activists. The large majority of boaters who just use their boats for occasional leisure trips and lead otherwise ‘normal’ lives just won’t be reached, and their views are equally important

What a really pathetic comment! I cannot believe it. Any commercial organisation takes the views of those who contribute most as the most important. For the second time I am considering cancelling my "Friends" standing order but will await the CRT response to the final survey results. And I am not an activist. The people who fill in the survey are likely to be those most interested in boating and canals.

No wonder you despair sometimes, John and another big thankyou for all the work you and others are doing.

I filled in the form and made comments about the 'full' visitor moorings in Banbury when we came south after the end of the Cropredy Festival. However, if I were to fill in the form now I would have no need to make the same comments as the visitor moorings were only 50% occupied when we passed through yesterday.

Edit to add. Regarding the statement made by the Senior Manager of CRT, I don't live aboard, Idouse my boat for occasional leisure, and I have found the survey and completed it. I do intend to move aboard next year. Does this mean I have to adopt the roll of an activist. With the possibility of changing my heart felt views.

John, can you PM me this chaps name so that I can write to him and suggest that he may consider changing his attitude.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

What a really pathetic comment! I cannot believe it. Any commercial organisation takes the views of those who contribute most as the most important. For the second time I am considering cancelling my "Friends" standing order but will await the CRT response to the final survey results. And I am not an activist. The people who fill in the survey are likely to be those most interested in boating and canals.

No wonder you despair sometimes, John and another big thankyou for all the work you and others are doing.

The thing is there is a lot on there that would indicate CRT are doing ok. Some very constructive suggestions to dismiss the Survey before seeing the results to me seems like an own goal. IMO it is a document that might give CRT some ideas for further investigation especially the section that covers "reasons why boaters choose Visitor Moorings"

Edited by cotswoldsman

I think its just a little "rich" that CRT are already suggesting that this very good survey is not representative when they based their huge and expensive S.E.moorings strategy on a few verbal complaints from hire boat companies and a much smaller survey that is generally regarded as "fixed".

...........Dave

I think its just a little "rich" that CRT are already suggesting that this very good survey is not representative when they based their huge and expensive S.E.moorings strategy on a few verbal complaints from hire boat companies and a much smaller survey that is generally regarded as "fixed".

...........Dave

My concern is no different now than when I posted my thread last week. All we ever wanted was that Boaters had the opportunity to engage with CRT in a meaningful way so both parties (Boaters and CRT) could move forward together in an open and honest way and work together. No we were never going to agree on all points but at least we would understand each others problems. CRT want to change these meeting from Boaters meetings to CRT meetings and yes IMO there is a difference. Again with this Survey I think the problem CRT have is that it is a Survey organised by Boaters they would prefer to have a Survey that they set the questions and have some control on who answers the questions. As I said at the start this IMO is an unbiased Survey and going by the replies has been completed by boaters who hold many different views and that as far as we are concerned is great. It is what it is, a random sample of boaters opinions including Hire Boaters, Leisure Boaters and Continuous Cruisers.

Again with this Survey I think the problem CRT have is that it is a Survey organised by Boaters they would prefer to have a Survey that they set the questions and have some control on who answers the questions. As I said at the start this IMO is an unbiased Survey and going by the replies has been completed by boaters who hold many different views and that as far as we are concerned is great. It is what it is, a random sample of boaters opinions including Hire Boaters, Leisure Boaters and Continuous Cruisers.

I think that CRT are just going to have to get used to the fact that int his day and age boaters are able to communicate and organise such surveys. As they results of these surveys pile up over the years they can continue to ignore them but it will be more difficult for them too (just my opinion of course).

I think that CRT are just going to have to get used to the fact that int his day and age boaters are able to communicate and organise such surveys. As they results of these surveys pile up over the years they can continue to ignore them but it will be more difficult for them too (just my opinion of course).

Time will tell, this is all done in the spirit of trying to work with CRT just hope that maybe they will see it that way.

Time will tell, this is all done in the spirit of trying to work with CRT just hope that maybe they will see it that way.

I couldn't agree more it seems a strange way to run a business (OK I know its a charity but it needs tor un like a business) toignore efforts to help you provide the service your customers need/want.

Having read through most of this thread the one thing that seems to come out is regardless how good this survey is it is doubtful if CRT will give it more than a swift glance. Which leads me to wonder who monitors the CRT to see if they are in fact meeting the needs of the users or even listening to them.

I understand that this survey is purely to give us boaters a voice (yes I completed it and thought it very valid) but at what point should we be talking to cycling groups, anglers, ramblers etc - finding common ground and then the users might start to be able to be heard by CRT or better still whoever they answer to.