Visitor Mooring Survey

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I have commenced filling in the survey several times, but like all such things it only allows you to answer in the way that the survey commissioner want to receive answers. That is not a complaint, merely an observation, The problem is that some of the the questions over simplify the response, particulary where information is sought regarding availability of CRT moorings, as the question seeks only the outcome on the last occassion, In most instances the last attempt to secure a mooring will have been successful, but that gives no account of how many unsuccessful attempts were previously experienced and therefore the survey answer produces an inaccurate and biased impression of the actual situation.

I will give an example, on our last trip we cruised four canals over a period of eleven days:-

On the Grand Union there were no short term moorings and only two fourteen day visitor moorings vacant, both in a loction where I know it is far too shallow for us (and most other boats) to get anywhere near the bank,

On the Northern Oxford all the (many) fourteen day moorings were occupied by boats which had either been left, or were being lived upon. I believe there are a few 24 hour moorings near Tescos in Rugby but these are nearly always fully occupied.

On the Coventry there are a number of seven day moorings where there were a few spaces, mainly a good walk from facilities.

On the Ashby there are no moorings which permit more than a forty eight hour stay, and finding a mooring was never a problem.

Apart from the other comments box at the nd of the questionaire, the survey does not offer any facility where more than the most minimal amount of information can be collated, and my perception is that the survey is constructed in a way that lends itself far more towards the boater who moves perhaps only every few days (or weeks), rather than every day together with a lunchtime stop as well. That risks making the results unrepresentative of the true experience of many boaters.

I may make a further attempt to complete the survey, but I hope the comments box will be big enough to accomodate my observations.

david if nothing else we do listen LOADS of comment boxes now sorry for delay I am only learning as I go along

I have commenced filling in the survey several times, but like all such things it only allows you to answer in the way that the survey commissioner want to receive answers. That is not a complaint, merely an observation, The problem is that some of the the questions over simplify the response, particulary where information is sought regarding availability of CRT moorings, as the question seeks only the outcome on the last occassion, In most instances the last attempt to secure a mooring will have been successful, but that gives no account of how many unsuccessful attempts were previously experienced and therefore the survey answer produces an inaccurate and biased impression of the actual situation.

I will give an example, on our last trip we cruised four canals over a period of eleven days:-

On the Grand Union there were no short term moorings and only two fourteen day visitor moorings vacant, both in a loction where I know it is far too shallow for us (and most other boats) to get anywhere near the bank,

On the Northern Oxford all the (many) fourteen day moorings were occupied by boats which had either been left, or were being lived upon. I believe there are a few 24 hour moorings near Tescos in Rugby but these are nearly always fully occupied.

On the Coventry there are a number of seven day moorings where there were a few spaces, mainly a good walk from facilities.

On the Ashby there are no moorings which permit more than a forty eight hour stay, and finding a mooring was never a problem.

Apart from the other comments box at the nd of the questionaire, the survey does not offer any facility where more than the most minimal amount of information can be collated, and my perception is that the survey is constructed in a way that lends itself far more towards the boater who moves perhaps only every few days (or weeks), rather than every day together with a lunchtime stop as well. That risks making the results unrepresentative of the true experience of many boaters.

I may make a further attempt to complete the survey, but I hope the comments box will be big enough to accomodate my observations.

I have to say that in common with David I cannot understand why anyone would go boating and then spend the time tied up. For recreational boating I would have thought that most of us would be moving daily. How other people use their boats is up to them of course but most of the debate about mooring restrictions does seem to assume that wanting to hang around for several days or even weeks is the norm and in my experience leaving aside boaters resident in one particular area for whom moving at all seems to be an imposition is not the case.

• Greenie 3

My recent trip on the L&L has been a new experience for me. I've observed a lot. Most boaters seem to congregate round VMs, however, some braver ones, moor alone on the towpath (I've become one of those). Mooring on the towpath (although difficult with the many obstacles such as low levels and rocks) is a much more enjoyable way to go boating...I think. In fact, I hope to never use a VM again...unless it's for a specific purpose like getting to the shops, or a lack of safe towpath space...(some areas in towns aren't safe.).

• Greenie 1

Over 300 replies now anyone have any ideas how we can ensure we include as many boaters as possible, still trying to think how we can reach more hire boaters

do you think hire bases would hand them out? if so get a few printed off for them to hand out.

Over 300 replies now anyone have any ideas how we can ensure we include as many boaters as possible, still trying to think how we can reach more hire boaters

Are any hire boat firm represented in CWDF? Perhaps they could be persuaded to put a link on their website or mention it when getting boats back after a holiday.

Since the survey has been well composed and is as impartial as its possible to be, and presuming you have "made up" with CRT a bit, why not offer it to them for inclusion on their website and/ or FB page? That would certainly get a wider audience of canal users, not just CWDFers. You never know, they might be feeling contrite and go along with it! (...flapping pigs, etc!)

Survey completed.

I realise that you cannot cater for every scenario but here is an example that faced me recently.

A small group of volunteers move a local charity boat as required in our area (Milton Keynes). Once a year we venture out of Milton Keynes with the boat to attend the festival at Blisworth - as I write we're about to return the boat to home waters rolleyes.gif

On our way north we arrived at the bottom of the Stoke Bruerne flight where we planned to leave the boat for about 60 hours. All the 14 day moorings were full but there was one remaining space on the 48 hour mooring which we reluctantly took - CRT workboats were occupying about 50% of the available space.

The only place further on that we could guarantee to find a suitable mooring space without infringing any restriction was north of Blisworth tunnel, about 2 hours further cruising.

Are overstay charges correct in situations like this - i.e. where significant distances (at least in travelling time) are involved between the less stringently restricted mooring areas?

I'm not seeking an answer to this question on this thread but I didn't feel it appropriate to clutter the survey with this scenario but felt it needed to be shared.

Thanks everyone 450 completed so far and some really interesting and surprise results we look forward to sharing the results with everyone and seeing what others think of the results. Lucy who knows about these type of things says she is amazed at the amount of people that have taken the time to reply a fantastic response from such a small target audience but we all know that no matter what side of the fence you sit on Visitor Moorings are something we have an interest in.

Since the survey has been well composed and is as impartial as its possible to be, and presuming you have "made up" with CRT a bit, why not offer it to them for inclusion on their website and/ or FB page? That would certainly get a wider audience of canal users, not just CWDFers. You never know, they might be feeling contrite and go along with it! (...flapping pigs, etc!)

Nick your powers are amazing lol just had conformation that they will put the Survey on their Facebook Page they are listening or at least help us get boaters views. We are well over the 500 mark and ABC Boat Hire have now put a link on their Facebook Page so hopefully a few more Hire Boaters will complete the Survey

Several people I have passed this on to via our boat club have mentioned there is no shropsire union in the list. Not my normal area so wouldn't notice.

Yes sorry about that I think CRT can take some of the blame as it was copied and pasted from their site. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately we can not change this, the software does not allow us to make any changes once the Survey has started this is to stop us trying to manipulate the questions if we do not like the answers. Please pass on our apologies but there is a box at the bottom (I think) that says other so if they could use that we will pick it up.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Yes sorry about that I think CRT can take some of the blame as it was copied and pasted from their site. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately we can not change this, the software does not allow us to make any changes once the Survey has started this is to stop us trying to manipulate the questions if we do not like the answers. Please pass on our apologies but there is a box at the bottom (I think) that says other so if they could use that we will pick it up.

It was assumed that as it was all 48hr only moorings it wasn't included :)

• Greenie 1