Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Delta9

Canal boat blues

Featured Posts

I'd have the blues too, if I had a white squishy fender tied to my roof step.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

WEll, that was an invigorating start to the day, thanks for posting it.

There was a late '60s UK blues band called Black Cat Bones; I wonder if any of the older members of this band were also in that one (who, from memory, later provided members for better known bands such as Free). I remember hearing them on John Peel's Radio 1 programme.

Love it....Great Britain indeed!

I'd have the blues too, if I had a white squishy fender tied to my roof step.

MP.

temporary perhaps, due to the mixers etc on top? could you not just enjoy the up without looking for the down?

could you not just enjoy the up without looking for the down?

I believe this: smile.png may have been missing from original post.

MP.

Sorry to dissent and first and foremost, I like it. Thing is, supposing it was a boat full of youngsters with that much amplification playing the bassy "dumph dumph" music you hear coming out of pimped hatchbacks? Wouldn't there quite reasonably be complaints about people imposing their music on others? Like I say I like it but broadly speaking waterways are about peace and quiet and this fails to acknowledge that not everyone does.

• Greenie 1

Sir Nibble: A lot can depend on how often this sort of thing happens. If it's just occasional and it gives someone pleasure, why not praise it, even if one doesn't like it? When I lived in London, Concorde roared overhead twice a day. Because it was only twice a day for about 15 seconds, I quite liked the sound and spectacle, and grew to miss it when it was gone. But anyway, who said waterways were only about peace & quiet?

Sorry to dissent and first and foremost, I like it. Thing is, supposing it was a boat full of youngsters with that much amplification playing the bassy "dumph dumph" music you hear coming out of pimped hatchbacks? Wouldn't there quite reasonably be complaints about people imposing their music on others? Like I say I like it but broadly speaking waterways are about peace and quiet and this fails to acknowledge that not everyone does.

moored Yes I agree, but passing No I dont. .....why shouldn't they be allowed to enjoy boating and music in the open... granted its not by quickly but as a few minutes in a day whats the harm...even the "dumph dumph" can be tolerated?

Welcome, Mr. Buttons. I'm sure I'm one of many here who has enjoyed your internet travelogue over the last few years (and who does not much like the word "blog" so I shan't use it. Oh, whoops....)

But it's not dumph-dumph-dumph, it has three chords, not one! It's also music made by people, not computers. If this lot passed me on the canal, I'd be delighted to hear them, and would gladly toss a coin into their collective hat.

I too would be glad to hear them, but the point that it is not "Dumph dumph" (good grief what a term!)simply means that it is not objectionable to you or me, but it might be to others. People playing music is fantastic and often enhances the day. The thing is that the amplification takes it away from personal enjoyment and adds an insistence that everyone hears whether they like it or not. If every other boat was playing their personal choice of music amplified across the cut then bang goes peace and quiet and the operative words are "personal choice" which of course is taken away from the listener.

I don't want to be Mr Grump and as I keep repeating I like it and would like it going past me but let's not allow a double standard to creep in where imposing their choice of music upon the surrounding countryside is ok so long as it is a choice you approve of and the bloke nearby who doesn't like that music can go hang.

People with bad or no taste are welcome to go hang, if only figuratively.

This boat is clearly shown in an urban setting, where there are plenty of other sources of decibels. If it was in deep countryside it would be less acceptable - though of course there would be far fewer people around either to dig that crazy beat or to be disturbed and annoyed.

Why the amplification?

Look don't get me wrong, as I keep saying I would love it, I just don't want boats with speakers all over the roof insisting I share their good time, I will have my own. Everything about this is brilliant except all those speakers which have no purpose other than to spread their personal choice over as wide an area as possible and in the process stamping all over any other choice any other person may have.

Music is good-oh, the amplification is rude.

If every other boat was playing their personal choice of music amplified across the cut then bang goes peace and quiet and the operative words are "personal choice" which of course is taken away from the listener.

But its not every other boat. If it was your argument would have strength.

This is a rare occurrence so (more than?) bearable, if not enjoyable.

Its far better than the old ice cream van driving round every street blaring out its distorted amplified repetitious tune but very few people complain about that

Why the amplification?

Because it's Chicago-style blues which, typically, was played on electric guitars and with ampified harmonicas.

Why the amplification?

because they want to share joy...don't feel good?... then just close your ears and mind.... and move on by.

if the drummer were to fall overboard they could throw the amps and speakers in after him as a kind of liferaft and then the problem would be solved.cool.png

I loved it. Wynne loved it. So I searched a bit. Well done, Athy, it was indeed Black Cat Bone. A special session as part of the Worcester Music festival. Info from their Facebook page as follows (where I linked Dan's video) ....

Blues On a Boat.
With:
BLACK CAT BONE
SUNDAY MIDDAY
The good narrowboat Aquarius hits the river Severn around 1 Pm With Black Cat Bone entertaining the swans and fishes -
Planning to stop at North Quay, by Browns, South Quay by railway bridge and cruise up to The Camp Inn at Grimley shaking the charity bucket for Worcester Music Festival 2013's designated charities - Worcestershire Sight Concern and Worcester Deaf Children's society.
Come support!

So - all you grumpy harrumphers - it was a oneoff. It was part of a Music Festival. It arranged and advertised. It was for charity.

Edited by Jo_
  • Greenie 1

Well, it was obviously Black Cat Bone because they had the name on the side of their boat! I just wondered if they had any connection with the similarly-named late '60s group.

Edited by Athy

I loved it. Wynne loved it. So I searched a bit. Well done, Athy, it was indeed Black Cat Bone. A special session as part of the Worcester Music festival. Info from their Facebook page as follows (where I linked Dan's video) ....

Blues On a Boat. [/size]

With: [/size]

BLACK CAT BONE [/size]

SUNDAY MIDDAY [/size]

The good narrowboat Aquarius hits the river Severn around 1 Pm With Black Cat Bone entertaining the swans and fishes -[/size]

Planning to stop at North Quay, by Browns, South Quay by railway bridge and cruise up to The Camp Inn at Grimley shaking the charity bucket for Worcester Music Festival 2013's designated charities - Worcestershire Sight Concern and Worcester Deaf Children's society.[/size]

Come support![/size]

So - all you grumpy harrumphers - it was a oneoff. It was part of a Music Festival. It arranged and advertised. It was for charity.

There's no grumpy harrumphers, there's just me and no matter how many times I say I liked it I still can't shake of people telling me to chill out and enjoy it. The only point I tried to make is that if this were a hireboat playing drum and bass through that much amplification the forum would be alive with indignation and advice to complain to the hire company. Once again I LIKED IT and it's pretty clear it would never be more than occasional but I really believe that the forum would be incensed if the music were not to the taste of all us old bastards.

Sign in to follow this