Galvanic Isolators

davidc

Featured Posts

In a country full of decadent consumers I don't see why liveaboard boaters are the ones who are expected to "live the simple life"?

I think TB is suggesting that there is a higher price to be paid for convenience on a boat than there is on land. A price both in terms of money and risk. A price he isn't prepared to pay.

I am about to move to a mooring without mains leccy, and am thanking God for Solar PV and LED lighting.

I think TB is suggesting that there is a higher price to be paid for convenience on a boat than there is on land. A price both in terms of money and risk. A price he isn't prepared to pay.

I am about to move to a mooring without mains leccy, and am thanking God for Solar PV and LED lighting.

Thanks George - got it in one.

The ultimate cash cost of electricity produced on a boat even if totally solar (where the cost is purely the installation) is likely to be much greater than from grid supply via shoreline. Installation/maintenance/replacement costs of onboard electrical power producing equipment such as engine alternators and generators just add to the the fuel cost of running such. Regular cycling of batteries depreciates them, further adding to cost compared with ones that are kept fully charged by grid supply.

The convenience of grid power when available is a no brainer to anyone who needs electrical power and has it available for their boat. Living with minimal electrical power on board is of course a personal choice, but one that few would want to follow in this day and age.

I'm not sure if it complies with ABYC regs but surely a 70amp isolator on a 16amp supply is ok?

Define OK.

The AYBC determined their specs in order to ensure that any GI sold in the US was OK in their opinion. The G170 doesn't come close to meeting those specs. That's one of the reasons it's so cheap.

Tony

I have the Safeshore GI70sm. I'm not sure if it complies with ABYC regs but surely a 70amp isolator on a 16amp supply is ok?

There is a lot more than above parameters to satisfy current ABYC requirements for GI's.

See this post for example. GI integrity monitoring is now a further requirement.