Bridgewater Canal Moorings

dmtarry

Featured Posts

Hi

Can anyone advise on best options for a permanent mooring on the bridge water canal preferably around the Warrington area. If nothing around Warrington then as close as possible to be near grand children as they all live around Stockton Heath and Lymm area. We have sold our houses and are in the process of sourcing a boat and would more than likely prefer a wide beam for space and comfort, and will probably move to a narrow boat some years down the line to travel the full system.

To stay on the bridgewater for more than 7 days you need a licence from peel holdings/manchester ship canal co. who own the canal. As far as I'm aware you need to have a mooring either in a marina or with a cruising club to be issued with a license. Also I've been told that MSC don't allow liveaboards on the bridgewater but this may not be correct. Your best option would be to contact peel holdings/MSC or any of the cruising clubs based on the bridgewater. Just east of Lymm there are online moorings near Hesford marine so it may be worth speaking to some of the boat owners there.

Having said that there are plenty boats moored online that look like liveaboards so I guess you take your chance.

Just remember that Widebeams can only get to certain marinas, and on the Bridgewater, there aren't many that will take a widebeam...(they take 2 spaces)...

eta - got your PM :)

Edited by DeanS

Thanks folks will investigate further.

Hi all

To clarify the issue further I am not looking to be residential at a mooring, I would like to have a permanent mooring at which i would visit and possibly over winter. the main time would be spent out and about on the bridgewater and on some longer cruises. if that makes sense!

Thanks folks will investigate further.

Hi all

To clarify the issue further I am not looking to be residential at a mooring, I would like to have a permanent mooring at which i would visit and possibly over winter. the main time would be spent out and about on the bridgewater and on some longer cruises. if that makes sense!

Yep. Makes sense. :) You want cruise all summer, and hookup on elec perhaps in a marina in winter. (That's what I would like to do too). I would suggest contacting the marinas on the bridgewater directly...and find a mooring, before you get the boat if possible...else you might find yourself not able to get a Bridgewater licence, in which case you'd need to get a CRT licence, and without a mooring, CRT will be checking to see you "move along" which doesnt seem to be what you want to achieve really :) I would think it's easier to get a Bridgewater mooring for a narrowboat, but I may be wrong :)

Does the wide beam use a lot more diesel than a narrow boat Dean? I wouldn't have thought that their was much in it unless oversized for use on rivers?

A little bit more, as they are normally fitted with a slightly bigger engine. If you are using the boat engine every day for creating hot water, or battery charging, then the fuel costs will add up. I have a gas water heater, and solar panels, which helps a lot:) I think I use about 1.5litres - 2litres per hour...

http://www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/uploads/File/Mooring%20List%202012.pdf.pdf

The above link (hopefully) takes you to the Bridgewater Canal website's very useful PDF of official moorings.

I did a bit of research for a friend of mine recently. S&A Marine at Cliff Lane, Grappenhall, have linear moorings which were charged on a annual basis at the rate of £0.70 per foot per week inc VAT. Should be close enough to Warrington. Their number is on the list but in case of link failure (which will be my fault entirely) it's Tel: 01925 262322.

Great canal, the Bridgewater. If I lived closer I would love to use it more.

Thanks Fudge, I have spoken with S&A I got the list off Mike Web at Peel and have been right through most of them Other than Preston Brooke and the cruising clubs. Found one option which is not ideal but may have to take it as a base and then look around for a better mooring once there! The plan would be to cruise the area between Manchester and Warrington and use the mooring mainly in the winter particularly if I can find one with power. We want to stay in this area for the next few years as our children and grand children are all in the area.

Hi

Can anyone advise on best options for a permanent mooring on the bridge water canal preferably around the Warrington area. If nothing around Warrington then as close as possible to be near grand children as they all live around Stockton Heath and Lymm area. We have sold our houses and are in the process of sourcing a boat and would more than likely prefer a wide beam for space and comfort, and will probably move to a narrow boat some years down the line to travel the full system.

PM sent

Steve