Youngsters hiring boats

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

As referred to up thread, most hire companies do have age limits. The problem occurs when the hire is taken out by someone who has no intention of going along on the trip.

I certainly don't wish to discourage younger people from boating, but had they hit another boat rather than the bank, it would have caused substantial damage.

On another trip up the Buckby flight about a fortnight ago, we shared the locks with a boat full of youngsters who insisted that my wife stayed on board and they worked the flight. It was great.

Two day boats from Bollington containing nearly 20 thoroughly inebriated males were crashing about through bridge holes while basins of canal water were being thrown on Saturday. One drunk was making a big display of urinating whilst standing on the top of the boat. His bladder must have been huge as he didn't appear to have finished by the time he was hit by the next bridge and was upended.

This was a disgraceful episode which was witnessed by many who would rather have not done so. The boats must have got back to base as they reappeared the next day with civilised human beings on board. I hope that the boats had been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected in between these trips.

Unfortunately they cant control what they hirers do once they have taken the boat.

Yes they can.

"We know that you are here to have a good time, but please remember that if you want to get drunk, tie up first, and that a lot of people come to the canals for the tranquility. If we receive reports that your behaviour is causing serious issues, we will require you to leave the boat immediately"

Some people on here were obviously never youngrolleyes.gif

Nonsense.

Many people manage to have a good time (even whilst young), without feeling the need to create a problem for others in doing so.

• Greenie 2

Yes they can.

"We know that you are here to have a good time, but please remember that if you want to get drunk, tie up first, and that a lot of people come to the canals for the tranquility. If we receive reports that your behaviour is causing serious issues, we will require you to leave the boat immediately"

Exactly!

No but getting so pissed they are unable to control the boat, broadly IS.

MtB

Absolute rubbish, we are inbetween the hire bases at Gayton and Linslade, and seen many drunks making an arse of themselves and the boat, and the majority of them were not youngsters. It also seems to be the middle-aged fat drunks who are the most aggressive.

eta- and thats just the ladies!!

Edited by Mike Tee

Absolute rubbish, we are inbetween the hire bases at Gayton and Linslade, and seen many drunks making an arse of themselves and the boat, and the majority of them were not youngsters. It also seems to be the middle-aged fat drunks who are the most aggressive.

eta- and thats just the ladies!!

My experience is different from yours then.

However, my good manners prevent me from rudely calling your experience "absolute rubbish".

MtB

Plenty of pissed up hire boats come through Brum, most of them do no real harm to be honest, and generally they only put themselves in danger. I saw one group who had hired two boats, and they were driving side by side down the mainline while drunk crew members were jumping from the roof of one onto the other to great cheers from the rest of the group.

I've noticed that some firms have an age limit for hirers. In the case of Wyvern, it's 21+ for boats up to 5 occupants & 25+ for boats with more.

Whether that means they have to be on board is another question!

But who does such an age limit apply to? Just the named hirer, or to the full party? Easy to have a group of youngsters with one slightly older person (nominally) in charge. Requring the whole party to be over a certain age would block family groups, who you would expect the hire companies to be encouraging.

Here's a hire company perspective.

But who does such an age limit apply to? Just the named hirer, or to the full party? Easy to have a group of youngsters with one slightly older person (nominally) in charge. Requring the whole party to be over a certain age would block family groups, who you would expect the hire companies to be encouraging.

Here's a hire company perspective.

Their blurb states bookings by "skippers" & goes on to say the following:

"The minimum age when hiring a boat from our Linslade base depends on the size of the craft as follows:-

Up to 5 berths - must be aged 21yrs +...... 6 to 8 berths - must be aged 25yrs +.

For single sex groups and when hiring more than one boat at least two crew members per boat must be over 30yrs + and a £250.00 security deposit is charged. The deposit being returned at the end of the holiday less any deductions for damage or breakages. All single sex crews and multi-boat bookings are at the Company's discretion."

Edited by Spuds

I think different hire companies have very different attitudes in this area. Willow Wren seems to be particularly relaxed about it, from their web site

Why not book one or more of our larger boats for an office weekend away - ideal for team building weekends, stag & hen weekends. We have a choice of boats available all year round.

their T's&C's

7. Minors. Bookings from persons under the age of 18 cannot be accepted.

Damage Waiver Payment Scheme: You make a one-off, non-refundable Damage Waiver Payment of usually £50. This gives you full cover in the event of loss of or damage to your boat or its equipment except where any loss and/or damage is caused by the deliberate or negligent act or omission of you or any member of your party, (including where the person concerned is under the influence of alcohol, drugs or any similar substance), or any failure by you to comply with these Conditions of Hire. In this case, we have the right to make a charge to cover the loss or damage.

Additional Deposits: You may be asked for an additional deposit (of up to £100 per boat) at our discretion for certain parties or for very large and/or valuable boats. This is payable on your arrival at the boatyard in cash.

We save the boozy bit til we've moored up. Then we crack open the good stuff, or frequent the dwindling numbers of canal side pubs.

Exactly. No one could accuse Mrs. Athy and I of total sobriety, but we never have a drink until we are moored up in the evening. Then we make up for lost time!

Middlewich narrowboats, i think thats what they're called - the green ones with tree names, are not relaxed in their policy.

Last week one of their boats with many merry people (i think they were all ladies) on it caused much amusement getting stuck in the flash at billinge. According to a boater who said he was there they dinged a few boats leaving Middlewich. Later that afternoon they were spotted (reliable source) outside the pub at Broken Cross in discussion with a policeman and then the boat came back the other way with someone from Middlewich NB driving taking it back to the boatyard - holiday over.

No idea what the ladies had done but thought i'd mention it as some positive feedback for the company

It's clearly the height of the hire boat madness season.

Just a plea to remember these incidents stand out but against the background of the total number of hire boat hols, they are in the minority.

It's sometimes hard to remember that not all hire boaters are piss heads intent on wreaking havoc on our waterways.

Edited by The Dog House

If you visit the western end of the K&A you will find that drunken and often rude single sex groups are not the minority but the norm.

Earlier this year I think about 20 hire boats passed us and only one was Not a drunk single sex group.

However some of them were certainly late 20's or thirties, Its not an age problem, it a single sex group problem.

...........Dave

If you visit the western end of the K&A you will find that drunken and often rude single sex groups are not the minority but the norm.

Earlier this year I think about 20 hire boats passed us and only one was Not a drunk single sex group.

However some of them were certainly late 20's or thirties, Its not an age problem, it a single sex group problem.

...........Dave

So I've been told numerous times on here which is precisely why I would never venture down there.

It has acquired a reputation on here for being 'pissed up hirer boater central' what a shame.

It it common for the larger Willow Wren boats to have young crews and stag or hen groups on them. Usually they are drunk, but so long as they are not hitting boats, or they are putting themselves or others in danger what is the issue. Just don't moor overnight near one!

Nominated for most ridiculous post of the year!

...........Dave

And I suppose that all of the private boat owners in the area have been model citizens in that same time period?

Being a young hirer next May (nearly 30 years) i feel i should say something. I struggle to understand what benefits a group of hens/stags can get from a boat holiday? If their sole intention is to have a wild time and be pissed all the time, then surely wouldn't it be cheaper for them to have a night out in Blackpool or possibly abroad for a few days?

In regards to single sex groups hiring from hire companies.... i may be presumptous but surely the majority of the people here on this forum know some or many of the hire firms that are on the canals and so any mistreatement of boats/users can easily be reported?

As for drinking, it's all about drinking responsibly. I'm sure it's no harm to have a pint with your pub lunch and carry on crusing for the afternoon. After all, theres nothing better than having a nice pint with dinner after a long hard day on the cut.

I struggle to understand what benefits a group of hens/stags can get from a boat holiday? If their sole intention is to have a wild time and be pissed all the time, then surely wouldn't it be cheaper for them to have a night out in Blackpool or possibly abroad for a few days?

I have a theory about that. The groups who dress up as pirates etc do it to gratify themselves because of the amused or horrified response from their audience. On a moving boat that audience is constantly renewed so......constant gratification