Youngsters hiring boats

Captain Fizz

Featured Posts

An interesting encounter yesterday on the G U

I was heading north and approaching bridge 22 when I saw a boat coming towards me at some speed.

I stopped my boat before the bridge, but the oncoming boat hit his right hand bank at speed just before the bridge. He then steered through the bridge hole and ended up with his bow between my vessel and a moored craft that I was alongside.

There were about six young girls on the forward roof area ( probably 18/20 years ) and the vessel was being aimed/steered by a couple of lads. They were all dressed as pirates and all pissed out of their faces.

They were extremely apologetic , but I do wonder at the wisdom of hiring to such young groups.

A tricky one. I noticed on the front cover of one of the boatimags, a scene depicting two boats at a lock. where every one of the six or seven crew members had white hair, and thought, is that the image of boating which the magazine should be projecting? It is very encouraging to see younger people enjoying the waterways; if a greater proportion of them were sober, it would be more encouraging still.

It it common for the larger Willow Wren boats to have young crews and stag or hen groups on them. Usually they are drunk, but so long as they are not hitting boats, or they are putting themselves or others in danger what is the issue. Just don't moor overnight near one!

Edited by john6767

A tricky one. I noticed on the front cover of one of the boatimags, a scene depicting two boats at a lock. where every one of the six or seven crew members had white hair, and thought, is that the image of boating which the magazine should be projecting?

At least they have hair! unlike moi :)

I think hire companies should be encouraging younger clients. After all they are the boat owners of the future.

Boat hire and boat ownership shouldnt just be a passtime for the older generation.

I would agree that hiring to younger clients is fine.

Hiring to clients whose intention is to get pissed and create problems for other users of the waterway is not fine (whether the clients are 18 or 58)

I would agree that hiring to younger clients is fine.

Hiring to clients whose intention is to get pissed and create problems for other users of the waterway is not fine (whether the clients are 18 or 58)

Unfortunately they cant control what they hirers do once they have taken the boat. And lets be honest they are hiring to go on holiday, they are hardly going to stay sober for the whole seven days.

Personally I like to see groups of younger people out and about enjoying being on the water.

There are plenty of boat owners whose intention it is to get pisses and create problems for other users of the waterway so this isnt purely a hirer issue.

I think hire companies should be encouraging younger clients. After all they are the boat owners of the future.

Boat hire and boat ownership shouldnt just be a passtime for the older generation.

Very true but it shouldn't be the pastime of anybody who is under the influence of drink or drugs, for their own safety if not the safety of those around them.

Which direction were they heading and what time of day? I saw a hire boat with four girls on the roof being steered by a young chap while another young guy was working the locks. This was the second lock going up from Whilton, about 11.00 am. They weren't drunk then but weren't helping others locking through either. Not in pirate costumes but that could be easily changed at any point!

They were heading up the locks and one if the girls looked very unsafe on a lilo on the edge of the roof!

Very true but it shouldn't be the pastime of anybody who is under the influence of drink or drugs, for their own safety if not the safety of those around them.

Personally, we rarely have a drink at lunchtime. We occasionally have one can each, or share one. We use our shared boat 6 to 8 weeks a year.

We save the boozy bit til we've moored up. Then we crack open the good stuff, or frequent the dwindling numbers of canal side pubs.

My mate asked us a while back if was compulsory to have grey hair. Sadly there aren't enough youngsters around. Not enough shopping opportunities!

At 46, I often feel as if we are the youngsters on the cut! Our girls are great at the helm, and we would encourage them now at 18 and 20 to hire with their Uni friends. They would be good ambassadors for the next generation.

My mate asked us a while back if was compulsory to have grey hair. Sadly there aren't enough youngsters around. Not enough shopping opportunities!

At 46, I often feel as if we are the youngsters on the cut! Our girls are great at the helm, and we would encourage them now at 18 and 20 to hire with their Uni friends. They would be good ambassadors for the next generation.

If you are a youngster we must still be in nappies at 29 and 37!!

Edited by Naughty Cal

If you are a youngster we must still be in nappies at 29 and 37!!

Oh my god, do you have to stand on a box to see where you are going?

Do you frequent the pubs with children's play-zones to stop you getting bored!!!

Personally, we rarely have a drink at lunchtime. We occasionally have one can each, or share one. We use our shared boat 6 to 8 weeks a year.

We save the boozy bit til we've moored up. Then we crack open the good stuff, or frequent the dwindling numbers of canal side pubs.

Just what I would expect from responsible boaters it is those that aren't I was referring to.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with young boaters at all if they are like the 'ducks' or tiggers but there is an awful lot wrong with the foolish chavs looning around pissed on cheap cider or wife beater. Is it not against a bye law to be drunk in charge? The big problem is that they can't drink 'properly' as anyone familiar with Brighton at night will confirm.

I'm sure every hire company sits their hirers down and lists all of the byelaws to them at the start of each holiday!

No but a couple of sentences pointing out the boat can be dangerous and don't "drink and drive" wouldn't take long and might help.