Some new sub-forums

junior

Featured Posts

Do people think it would be a good idea of having some sort of list/sub-forum where people can recommend tradesman/surveyors/brokerages etc?

I was thinking earlier that when i get my boat i will be looking for somebody to sort the electrics, another person to do some flooring etc. Rather than having to ask every other day, wouldn't it be good if there was somewhere i could look and see other peoples personal recomendations?

Obviously this would need time to build up and would need a set of rules to stop people making false positive reports to hide obvious advertising etc.

Thoughts?

• Greenie 1

Hi Junior, there is already just such a beast, have a look on the forum main page and check out Links directory.

I saw that and from what i can gather it is buisness's or individual's self promoting is it not?

I was thinking more along the lines of say i had someone come and fit a new shower in my boat, then i could do a little recommendation for his services. Then other people looking for a plummer could go straight in and read my recommendation rather than having to start a thread somewhere else on the foum asking "Can anyone recommend me a plummer?" etc...

A bit like the new land related service called Trust-a-Trader.

I was thinking more along the lines of say i had someone come and fit a new shower in my boat, then i could do a little recommendation for his services. Then other people looking for a plummer could go straight in and read my recommendation rather than having to start a thread somewhere else on the foum asking "Can anyone recommend me a plummer?" etc...

A bit like the new land related service called Trust-a-Trader.

Interesting idea.

Anyone else think there is call for this, prehaps as a sub-forum to Boat Building & Maintenance?

Daniel

Interesting idea. Anyone else think there is call for this, prehaps as a sub-forum to Boat Building & Maintenance?Daniel

An example:

I need to have a Morca fitted soon. The first thing I did was come to the forum and do a search using the words "morco installation". It brought up LOADS of results, the majority of which were not what I was looking for. So my next port of call was to start a new thread entitled "installing Morco water heater", the main intention being to find either somebody from the forum to install one for me, or a recommendation from a forum member who has used someone before to do a similar job.

The result of the thread is that haven't found anyone to fit a Morco, nor a recommendation. What I did get though was people discussing and informing me of the Gas Safe regs regarding installing one from scratch etc. I found all this out with my original search of the forum.

Eventually I will get the job done by someone. Wouldn't it be great if there was a designated place on the forum where I could give a personal recommendation on the person who does the job. Then when the next person comes to the forum looking for a recommendation of someone to install their Morco they can go straight to the 'Reccomendations' sub-forum and save themselves a load of hassle. If everybody did the same when they have work carried out on different things, it could grow and become a useful resource.

It would need some sort of moderation to stop Mr Joe Bloggs plumber coming on the forum and giving a recommendation along the lines of "Mr Joe Bloggs plumber has just done a brilliant job for me blah blah blah.......".