CRT No Longer Wish To Meet With Boaters

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Well it has happened so all the people who said "I told you so" are right, but at least we gave it a go. I was informed last night by Vince Moran that CRT no longer wish to engage directly with boaters but will revert to only attending User Group Meetings that they can control. It is a shame as I and other felt that maybe CRT had left some of the old BW baggage behind and at last were prepared to listen to their paying customers, It would seem that the paying customer they wish to listen to is not boaters. This is an extract from an email I received from John Dodwell on where boaters sit in CRT's thinking

And Yes, boats are very important. We know towpath users like to see them. They produce not far off 30% of the gross income. But boats do not pay their way. I’m not suggesting they should. However, it helps to recognise that boats are only part of the picture – and an important part. The Government didn’t enter into that 15 year contract because of 35k or so boat owners but because of the 10m or so towpath users, the benefits of regeneration/ rural and town economies, health, tourism, heritage etc etc.

I was wrong and I apologise to those that have taken the time to attend meetings and communicate with us. I and others are very grateful for the support we have received.

I would like to think that we can re-group from this to ensure we are heard. There will be major changes happening over the next few years and I fear nothing will stop CRT making major changes unless we all wake up and do something about it. Examples are already starting to happen and this is just the tip of the Iceberg (Look at what matty40 has posted in the Stoke Bruerne thread about Thrupp) CRT have no real concern for boaters and it seems now the last thing they want to do is to listen to them and try and negotiate a solution.

There have been several warning signs evident to me recently that would confirm what John is saying. I would have liked to think it was me being paranoid but it seems not. I am afraid that the canals have become a business and the history is to be removed or forgotten. They also seem to ignore the fact that the movement of boats is what keeps the canal alive. After all the talk of liaison and talking to boaters I would be interested to know who it is that has pulled the plug on these initiatives.

In that case, CRT, I'm afraid we can no longer be "friends". I can find far better things to do with £5 a month. An email will be going off very shortly, and the direct debit cancelled. I am absolutely disgusted by that mail - but sadly, not surprised.

John, I know how hard you and the others have worked. You couldn't have done any more.

Edited by DaveandDebby
  • Greenie 1

There have been several warning signs evident to me recently that would confirm what John is saying. I would have liked to think it was me being paranoid but it seems not. I am afraid that the canals have become a business and the history is to be removed or forgotten. They also seem to ignore the fact that the movement of boats is what keeps the canal alive. After all the talk of liaison and talking to boaters I would be interested to know who it is that has pulled the plug on these initiatives.

I am personally very disappointed. I have to say it really upset me when Vince Moran informed me last night. It has taken me all day to put this post up as I and others feel like we have been used by CRT until such time as we outlived our usefulness. We have invested a lot of time trying to persuade boaters that the dawning of a new age had happened and I personally feel that I have mislead people, they have not changed still do not wish to engage directly with boaters.

I'm sorry to hear this. I heard most of the people at the top of CRT (and in the old days BWB) are members of a certain club. Maybe if you can't beat them join them...Seriously though, it looks like they believe there is no longer a threat. Maybe a deal has been done..who knows...

Wow, that's astounding. What sort of charity decides it doesn't want to meet with a substantial group of stakeholders?

I won't be sorry to move off CRT waters next month.

Edited to say: Well done to you though, John, for everything you've done. I'm sure that you and others will continue to inform and educate other boaters and, maybe in time, we'll find other ways to make our voices heard. I hope you don't feel too downhearted.

Edited by Dekazer

Well, we don't need to love fishermen but I believe that on many stretches of canal they have to buy a permit to fish. I assume that some of that fee goes to the local angling club and some goes to BW/ CART/ Whatever.

And Yes, boats are very important. We know towpath users like to see them.

I think that about sums everything up. Those of us who contribute the most, those of us who spent the most time on the canal, and those of us whom even live on the canal can play second fiddle to dog walkers, joggers, cyclists and fishermen.

One really does wonder why I pay a license fee.

I am saddened by this John and, like others am grateful for what you and others have done in trying a moderate and friendly approach.

Perhaps it is now time to start what Madcat has been hinting at and trying a less moderate method and resurrecting S.O.W for some direct action.

One wonders what would happen if the insignificant 35 thousand stopped paying their 30%....

What I find astounding is the apparent complete disregard for the importance of the income boaters bring, Dodwell's email although referring to boaters as being an 'important' part of the picture he fails to acknowledge we are just about the only users of their precious bloody waterways that actually pay to be here.

I am not for once suggesting that all other users should be disregarded, not at all but even he acknowledges that people like to see boats on the system, would there be all those other users if they were just coming to gawp at a stagnant muddy ditch, I seriously doubt it.

So get real CRT for goodness sake this is going to cause so much resentment and bitterness (as already evidenced by the posts so far).

I do know from speaking to Sally Ash at the Skipton meeting that CRT do look at this forum so wake up and smell the coffee!!

I am personally very disappointed. I have to say it really upset me when Vince Moran informed me last night. It has taken me all day to put this post up as I and others feel like we have been used by CRT until such time as we outlived our usefulness. We have invested a lot of time trying to persuade boaters that the dawning of a new age had happened and I personally feel that I have mislead people, they have not changed still do not wish to engage directly with boaters.

There is little more you or the others involved who have been involved could have done John. Many of us, including some CRT staff have tried very hard to assist the changes and to promote CRT as a viable alternative to BW. I find it hard to take on board John Dodwells seeming change of heart, there is obviously a major change taking place which we will need to deal with in the very near future. It seems a shame that our offers of assistance have been rejected. I certainly see no reason for you, John, to feel and guilt over what you have attempted to do

It's quite a weight off our shoulders to be honest. At least now, we know exactly where we stand. Dont go thinking it's the end though, the best is yet to come.

It's a bit gut wrenching, but we saw the signals over the past few weeks. Time to move on, at least we now have a little knowledge of how CRT work. You know what they say about a little knowledge ;-)

• Greenie 1

But surely, Mr. House, as a boater you like to see those 10 million towpath users going past your windows?

They don't bother me and I actually like engaging with gongoozlers it's all part of the fun.

That is not my point, it feels as if CRT are quite happy to take our money but we can now go and get stuffed if we ever want to have any direct communication with them about specific things that affect us.

It's quite a weight off our shoulders to be honest. At least now, we know exactly where we stand. Dont go thinking it's the end though, the best is yet to come.

It's a bit gut wrenching, but we saw the signals over the past few weeks. Time to move on, at least we now have a little knowledge of how CRT work. You know what they say about a little knowledge ;-)

...you went to these meeting(s)...anything else we should know?...

The canal system has to be maintained because of its land drainage function. The additional cost of keeping it navigable is paid for by boaters - their 30% contribution - and all the walkers and towpath users get it for nothing. The government off-loaded canals because they didn't like having to pay for the land drainage aspects.