I'm not sure if this is the right place

John Williamson 1955

Featured Posts

Welcome to the forum John.

If your heart is telling you the decision is right then go with it, but remember to let your head have it's say from time to time.

You say you are moving back to the cut, it was always in your blood from 30 years ago I expect and as for daft questions - the only daft question is the one you do not ask. Many things will have changed in the last 30 years but I suspect the canals have changed a lot less than much of the world around them.

I am certain we would all love to hear more about your experiences from 30 years ago and your plans for your new life chapter.

All the very best

Welcome to the forum John.

If your heart is telling you the decision is right then go with it, but remember to let your head have it's say from time to time.

You say you are moving back to the cut, it was always in your blood from 30 years ago I expect and as for daft questions - the only daft question is the one you do not ask. Many things will have changed in the last 30 years but I suspect the canals have changed a lot less than much of the world around them.

I am certain we would all love to hear more about your experiences from 30 years ago and your plans for your new life chapter.

All the very best

Ditto from me too, would love to hear your reminiscences from that era. I was just about getting into it back then.

I doubt the transition back onto the cut will be too much of a problem for you.

Ditto from me too, would love to hear your reminiscences from that era. I was just about getting into it back then.

I doubt the transition back onto the cut will be too much of a problem for you.

Me three!! Would love to hear your stories and congratulations I'm sure its the right decision! clapping.gif

Sorry for the delay replying, but it's been a hectic few days between work and commissioning "The Lair". I'm almost there now.

As for 30 years ago, it was the days when there was a thriving unofficial community on the cut, mostly of people escaping from the rat run.

Memories of the bloke living on the converted ship's lifeboat next to mine. He liked a drink or several, and so did his dog. I often saw the pair of them staggering home....

Falling through the ice on Christmas Day, because the wind had changed, and I needed the boat to face the other way because the stove was smoking me out.

Pulling a hundred tons or so of barge along the River Lee, because no-one else was available, and it had to be in Limehouse in a couple of days "or else". My boat was a fragile 32 foot, clinker built, ex fishing boat, ex workers' ferry and tug, with a 56 horsepower Ford 240D engine. Pulling stuff was easy, stopping it......

Coming home one frosty night after a few drinks, and seeing a line of boats along the towpath, all with perfectly vertical lines of smoke coming from their stovepipes, lit perfectly by the full moon.

Setting the unofficial single handed speed record from Uxbridge Boat Centre to below Batchworth Lock after delivering a friend's houseboat to the dry dock, and wanting to get a pint in at the White Bear with not much more than a couple of hours to spare. I made it, too, by about ten minutes, and without a breaking wash. cheers.gif

/Mode= hypocrite.

I'm not looking forward to coming back at all, oh, no.

Mode off.

Bye!

John.

:) thing with the water John is once yer bitten or in some cases soaked lol .. and especially if you have lived aboard before... then dry land aint a patch on it :)

moi has always been around boats and rivers and spent many happy hours as a nipper falling in and making mud pies besides Barnston drain ..better known to us scallywags as 'Barmy drain' lol. I first got involved in the canals in my mid twenties working for a couple of hire firms..starting out cleaning out the hire boats on a saturday for some extra cash and then been promoted lol to be allowed to black the hulls :)

Its been many many moons long passed since I last lived aboard and am about to do so again pretty soon :)

all thoses years of living on land now seem a distant memory... you will do fine its like learnign to ride a bike, some things you never forget.. and it will all come flooding (maybe not the right word hahaha... excuse my wacky sense of humour... thank goodness i still have mine ;) back and your life back on the 'cut' i am sure will be very happy... welcome back :)