Quandary about Thames passage

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

Hi, I've been here before about this one but something has just reared its head and I need guidance.

The tide times for Friday and Saturday 16th & 17th August seem to show that the best times to exit Limehouse is roughly 07.30 & 08.00 BST respectively.

Limehouse lock say that they don't pre-book these times and that the earliest that they will let us out is 9.30 on either day. This sounds less than ideal.

I would like to hear from those who know. My wife feels that those times are quite dangerous because

a: The river will be busy

b: the tide times don't seem right, the book advises 2.30 before high tide at London Bridge.

All help gratefully received

Bob

High tide on the Saturday is booked at 09.07 at Tower Pier. Tower pier is about one hour ahead of Teddington and journey time is about 2.5 to 3 hours for me, that may differ for you so go with your book.

If you leave at 0930 you will be heading into the tide for most of your journey which will slow you. I would in your circumstance wait til Sunday - which is a quieter day - and high tide is 11.54 at Tower Pier.

Please check your own tide times though and journey times...!

Hi, I've been here before about this one but something has just reared its head and I need guidance.

The tide times for Friday and Saturday 16th & 17th August seem to show that the best times to exit Limehouse is roughly 07.30 & 08.00 BST respectively.

Limehouse lock say that they don't pre-book these times and that the earliest that they will let us out is 9.30 on either day. This sounds less than ideal.

I would like to hear from those who know. My wife feels that those times are quite dangerous because

a: The river will be busy

b: the tide times don't seem right, the book advises 2.30 before high tide at London Bridge.

All help gratefully received

Bob

And that is why i said check as i had it wrong...!

High tide Tower pier Fri 16th is 09.07

Sat 17th 10.34

Sun 18th 11.54

You could go Saturday or Sunday...Friday you would be pushing against the outgoing tide for part of your Journey.

High tides from the PLA tables at Tower Pier are Friday 09.08, Saturday 10.31, Sunday 11.53

If you book limehouse should let you out anytime between 0500 and 2200

Whowever told you otherwise is talking 80110CKS

Call 02073089930 to book

ETA just called limehouse and its ok to book for Friday I would book asap

Edited by Loddon

I think 24 hours notice is required, other than that there would have to be a specific reason why they are not taking bookings, they are normally extremely helpful.

Trip boats are quiet before 10am.

Dangerous, well providing you are sensible no.

High tide on the Saturday is booked at 09.07 at Tower Pier. Tower pier is about one hour ahead of Teddington and journey time is about 2.5 to 3 hours for me, that may differ for you so go with your book.

If you leave at 0930 you will be heading into the tide for most of your journey which will slow you. I would in your circumstance wait til Sunday - which is a quieter day - and high tide is 11.54 at Tower Pier.

Please check your own tide times though and journey times...!

And that is why i said check as i had it wrong...!

High tide Tower pier Fri 16th is 09.07

Sat 17th 10.34

Sun 18th 11.54

You could go Saturday or Sunday...Friday you would be pushing against the outgoing tide for part of your Journey.

When I tried to book Limehouse the lady on he other end said that they won't book either Friday or Saturday and that the earliest they would let me out is 9.30 BST. I think that makes it 30 mins after high tide on Friday and only 1 hour before it on Saturday. Sunday isn't a runner for us as our guests have to leave Sunday am.

Is my thinking all to cock?

Bob

What ever happened to being able to book the lock early?

Bob

Call 02073089930 to book

ETA just called limehouse and its ok to book for Friday I would book asap

I called this morning and the lady on the other end said we won't book early Friday or Saturday.

I wonder what's going on.

Bob

I called this morning and the lady on the other end said we won't book early Friday or Saturday.

I wonder what's going on.

Bob

Assume you used the number I posted.

If not try that, I spoke to a gentleman (sounded like he was from the southern hemisphere)

Assume you used the number I posted.

If not try that, I spoke to a gentleman (sounded like he was from the southern hemisphere)

No, I didn't try that number, until now. Still got an answer phone, and I'm hoping they will get back. You're right about it being a different number, and a different voice on the other end. Maybe this will work, time will tell.

Thanks a lot for your advice, will let you all know the outcome.

Bob

If you were feeling stroppy, having double-checked the times Limehouse is physically accessible, you could always try again, with tape-recorder running, and note that refusing passage on the tide constitutes the criminal offence of obstructing the public right of navigation; that the convenience of the operator does not justify the crime, and that if refusal continues you will report the matter to the marine police, complete with the name and number of the person guilty of the obstruction.

It won’t make any difference of course, but might make you feel better and you will have the matter on record

But Loddon’s query re: whether you rang the same number he gave is worth checking first in any event. Different employees can have different levels of understanding & co-operation.

Nonetheless, leaving 0930 on Saturday is still fine –the tide takes roughly an hour to reach Brentford, so you will still be able to make good progress, allowing for a two hour trip to arrive at Brentford at the slack just before it turns.

Don’t be too concerned about the river traffic, just be alert and keep out of the way as much as possible – it’s only really scary the very first time - and there has to be one! Thereafter you will be more comfortable about it.

No, I didn't try that number, until now. Still got an answer phone, and I'm hoping they will get back. You're right about it being a different number, and a different voice on the other end. Maybe this will work, time will tell.

Thanks a lot for your advice, will let you all know the outcome.

Bob

If you look at this link (http://www.thamescruising.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=643) and then click on the Limehouse to Brentford or Teddington (whichever is appropriate) you will get taken to the Upstream Guide which was, in the main, put together by one of the current Limehouse Lockkeepers and the knowledgeable people from St Pancras Cruising Club. Remember that the tide times on the PLA website are in GMT so you need to add an hour for BST.

Timing:

Aim to leave Limehouse 3½ hours before high tide

Teddington Lock can be used at any state of the tide

Richmond Half-tide Barrier is raised 2 hours before and after local high tide. If the barrier is down then you will need to use the lock at Richmond to continue upstream.

Limehouse Lock needs enough water over the cill before you can enter you can generally enter the lock in the period 2 hours before and 2 hours after low tide (London Bridge)

Edited by Leo No2

If you were feeling stroppy, having double-checked the times Limehouse is physically accessible, you could always try again, with tape-recorder running, and note that refusing passage on the tide constitutes the criminal offence of obstructing the public right of navigation; that the convenience of the operator does not justify the crime, and that if refusal continues you will report the matter to the marine police, complete with the name and number of the person guilty of the obstruction.

It won’t make any difference of course, but might make you feel better and you will have the matter on record

But Loddon’s query re: whether you rang the same number he gave is worth checking first in any event. Different employees can have different levels of understanding & co-operation.

Nonetheless, leaving 0930 on Saturday is still fine –the tide takes roughly an hour to reach Brentford, so you will still be able to make good progress, allowing for a two hour trip to arrive at Brentford at the slack just before it turns.

Don’t be too concerned about the river traffic, just be alert and keep out of the way as much as possible – it’s only really scary the very first time - and there has to be one! Thereafter you will be more comfortable about it.

It's 16 miles from Limehouse to Brentford, so (for most narrow boats) there is no way you will get there in two hours if you leave only an hour before HW London Bridge. The incoming tide will then be pretty weak, and will overtake you before long. You will then struggle to get to Brentford before the locks shut, or even worse find yourself going backwards ...

I find it takes 2hrs 45mins to Brentford, with nice steady engine revs (in itself preferable to thrashing the engine), leaving 2.5 or 3hrs before HWLB.

Good luck!

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

It's 16 miles from Limehouse to Brentford, so (for most narrow boats) there is no way you will get there in two hours if you leave only an hour before HW London Bridge. The incoming tide will then be pretty weak, and will overtake you before long. You will then struggle to get to Brentford before the locks shut, or even worse find yourself going backwards ...

I find it takes 2hrs 45mins to Brentford, with nice steady engine revs (in itself preferable to thrashing the engine), leaving 2.5 or 3hrs before HWLB.

Good luck!

On the contrary, we left Limehouse at 0835 on 20th July, and passed Brentford at 1040 without having exceed 4mph through the water, so the engine was most certainly not at all stressed. We had to wait for half an hour below Richmond so we played "doughnuts" for fun to pass the time.

• Greenie 1

On the contrary, we left Limehouse at 0835 on 20th July, and passed Brentford at 1040 without having exceed 4mph through the water, so the engine was most certainly not at all stressed. We had to wait for half an hour below Richmond so we played "doughnuts" for fun to pass the time.

Yes, but you left 3hrs 40mins before HW London Bridge (1215 BST) on a medium strength tide (6.5m), which is why you were flying, and got to Richmond before it opened.

I was commenting on the original suggestion of leaving at 0930 this Saturday, only an hour before HWLB, and on a weak tide (6.1m). I still think that would not be a good idea at all.

Good luck!

That's what I had been working on, hence not happy about going out only 1 hour before high tide. Wife already very jumpy about the trip, and neither of us fancied mixing it with hoards of trip boats, that's why I want the earliest passage I could get.

What puzzles and if truth be told, annoys me is that all the received wisdom/knowledge I can gleen says that the lock can be booked up to 2 hours before official opening time, but when I tried I was flatly refused.

Loddon kindly advised me to try a different number, I did, and left a message this morning, but they haven't got back to me yet.

Bob

Were you dialing 020 8568 2779?

I suspect that the staff at Limehouse are a bit stretched at the moment, to book a lock as Loddon says dial 020 7308 9930 but try a few times till you get a human.

Edited by RichardN

Were you dialing 020 8568 2779?

I suspect that the staff at Limehouse are a bit stretched at the moment, to book a lock as Loddon says dial 020 7308 9930 but try a few times till you get a human.

I have been! No joy, answer phone every time. I have left a message, but yesterday's, conversation yielded the call this morning which flatly denied that it could be booked earlier than 9.30 either Friday or Saturday.

Bob

We came out of Limehouse about 4 weeks ago and enjoyed what I can only describe as the best narrowboat experience ever!

We came into Limehouse to find that the tide was set at 7.30am only because we hadn't booked we wouldn't be let out till 9 or 9.30! Upon enquiring if anyone else was going out early it appeared there was a 7.30am booking so we were allowed to join that :)

The people at Limehouse are extremely helpful and advised when to go, provided a proper decent map of the Thames (well worth having), and I bought a vhf phone for £75 (cash only...) and used it with slight trepidation (but confidence increased as I used it) to be in contact with both Richmond and Teddington .... altogether a most worthwhile and truly awesome trip! Oh, and the only time I went beyond idling speed was when I pushed a bit to go through some waves from one of the trip boats and wife got her feet wet in the bows :) :)

Thanks to everyone who has replied, specially RichardN for his constant help and encouragement.

This morning we finally got the go-ahead for the slot we needed, 08.00 Saturday.

It seems there was a misunderstanding by both myself, with the numbers and people I spoke to.

Never mind, all sorted now! Just need the right sort of weather now.

Bob

Thanks to everyone who has replied, specially RichardN for his constant help and encouragement.

This morning we finally got the go-ahead for the slot we needed, 08.00 Saturday.

It seems there was a misunderstanding by both myself, with the numbers and people I spoke to.

Never mind, all sorted now! Just need the right sort of weather now.

Bob

Good luck. On weather (the wind is what really matters), you may want to check the forecasts here or here.

The consensus advice is that, in particular in the stretch between Limehouse and London Bridge, anything over 18mph starts to get a bit too exciting ...

Good luck. On weather (the wind is what really matters), you may want to check the forecasts here or here.

The consensus advice is that, in particular in the stretch between Limehouse and London Bridge, anything over 18mph starts to get a bit too exciting ...

Cheers for that,

Bob

Depends which way it's blowing - with or against the tide.

Glad you are sorted...It would be a bit early for me but different boats different speeds.

Relax and enjoy, keep a good look out, listen to your radio and don't be afraid to use it! And once again enjoy it.