exhaust question

obbit

Featured Posts

Hi people.

Just in case I`m about to do something silly.

My exhaust runs under the wheelhouse floor. Will it effect the performance of the exhaust or engine if I wrapped it up in exhaust bandage.

I want to reduce the risk of serious burns when I need to go down there when the engines been running.

Cheers

Rob

Hi people.

My exhaust runs under the wheelhouse floor. Will it effect the performance of the exhaust or engine if I wrapped it up in exhaust bandage.

I want to reduce the risk of serious burns when I need to go down there when the engines been running.

Cheers

Rob

Your boat won't pass its BSC inspection unless the exhaust system is properly lagged or otherwise shielded to prevent accidental contact.

Hi people.

Cheers

Rob

A thoroughly sensible precaution!!

Hi people.

Cheers

Rob

it's 'AFFECT'.

I blame the teachers....

MtB

it's 'AFFECT'.

I blame the teachers....

MtB

Cheers mike. I only ever right effect. I'm bound to be write sometimes.

Thanks every one for your replies. I'll get on to this this weekend

Edited by obbit

You are right - it changed earlier this year, and the requirement has been amended so that as long as heat from the exhaust does not damage nearby surfaces, then lagging is not required.

But lagging (or shielding) would still be advisable if there is a chance of burning oneself on a hot pipe.

You are right - it changed earlier this year, and the requirement has been amended so that as long as heat from the exhaust does not damage nearby surfaces, then lagging is not required.

But lagging (or shielding) would still be advisable if there is a chance of burning oneself on a hot pipe.

Your right David the BSS Keep changing things.

As someone who has worked all his life with aviation technical certification and requirement specifications, I consider the BSS very poorly written, on the whole would never stand up in the aviation industry.

Evidenced by the number of changes we get every year.

I never understand why we have now European standards why BW/CRT wishes to work outside of those with their own concoction.

I have my exhaust lagged; I don't like the smell of burning flesh especially mine.

I never understand why we have now European standards why BW/CRT wishes to work outside of those with their own concoction.

Maybe because the vast majority of existing boats wouldn't pass the rather gold-plated EU regs for new boats? Except in very limited circumstances (Gas hobs with flame supervision, for instance) the BSS doesn't provide for grandfather rights for existing craft, so making every existing craft pass the RCD would be very expensive (and probably impossible, since the RCD specifies the manner in which a craft is built - it's not possible to conform to that for existing craft.)

Whilst I'm sure that throwing away the existing stock of inland waterways boats and replacing them wholesale with beautifully built and specified eurocraft would appeal to a certain type of mind, I don't think BW, as was, thought that they'd be able to get away with it without being lynched.

MP.

Maybe because the vast majority of existing boats wouldn't pass the rather gold-plated EU regs for new boats? Except in very limited circumstances (Gas hobs with flame supervision, for instance) the BSS doesn't provide for grandfather rights for existing craft, so making every existing craft pass the RCD would be very expensive (and probably impossible, since the RCD specifies the manner in which a craft is built - it's not possible to conform to that for existing craft.)

Whilst I'm sure that throwing away the existing stock of inland waterways boats and replacing them wholesale with beautifully built and specified eurocraft would appeal to a certain type of mind, I don't think BW, as was, thought that they'd be able to get away with it without being lynched.

MP.

As you said existing boats wouldn't pass, my boat in the Netherlands does not have a RCD as it was built in 1965 so is exempt.

"New or second-hand vessels that were built / put into service / put on the market within the EEA before 16th June 1998 are exempt. Note that some second-hand vessels will have to comply." (pasted from RCD exclusions).

Most boats produced for the canals now conform to the RCD.

You're correct under the BSS their are no Grandfather rights, historic boats are having to modify some systems (fuel is one) which have been unchanged for 60 years and have never caused a fire just for the BSS.

Edited by Jim Evans

Hi

My name is Steve Williams and I am a qualified BSS Examiner. I would like to correct a few points made in error above.

Firstly, The changes implement in 2013 were the ONLY changes to be mandated since 2005 and are applicable to PRIVATE vessels only.

Secondly, The requirement at 2.15.2 of the 2013 ECPs asks the examiner to check : Are the structures and surfaces surrounding exhaust system components free of signs of heat damage? and gives Advice to owners – ‘Dry’ exhaust systems, or those parts of ‘wet’ exhaust systems not cooled by water, located in ‘walk through’ engine spaces or cabins/deck spaces or other areas where normal crew movement about the vessel can be anticipated, should be effectively lagged, shielded or otherwise protected by craft structures.

It is therefore no longer a requirement that the exhaust systems be fully lagged. However in the interests of safety any boat owner would make every effort to avoid any potential issues.

Thirdly, There are areas within the new 2013 ECPs that remain from the superseded 2005 ECPs surrounding flame supervision on LPG appliances that are original appliances dating more than 20yrs old.

I would (of course I am biased) like to point out that the most fundamental reason for vessels complying with a BSS Examination is so that we can at least demonstrate that we are conscious of ALL waterways users and aware that in the unfortunate situation of a 'dangerous boat' being on the waterways, then steps are taken to protect ALL from its dangers.

An explosion or fire on board a boat that could have been avoided is a blight on the boating community.

An explosion or fire on board a boat that causes injury or death to others or damage to other peoples property is something that we should all strive to avoid.

Regrads

Steve Williams