Holiday ideas needed please.

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

We have one week left to take off work but cant make our minds up what to do with it.

Do we take it as a weeks holiday or do we take it as a few long weekends? We already have a long, four day weekend coming up at August bank holiday for which we have plans to head up the Trent in company to Muskham Ferry before heading back downstream to Dunham/Laneham for a BBQ.

We cant even decide if we want to head inland or coastal again for our remaining days.

I quite fancy trying out the new visitor pontoons at Kings Lynn or heading to Wisbech or Fossdyke none of which we have investigated yet. Or we have the Black Sluice which again we have not visited yet despite it being not too far from our home berth.

Then we could always head the other way. Have a couple of nights in Hull perhaps.

Too many decisions and not enough time!

HELP!!

No not too far at all. Quite easily achievable in fact if we head in via Goole along the A&C then the new junction onto the SSYN. Could make it a round route and head back out at Keadby onto the Trent.

Not sure Liam will be up for all of the swing bridges though!!

No not too far at all. Quite easily achievable in fact if we head in via Goole along the A&C then the new junction onto the SSYN. Could make it a round route and head back out at Keadby onto the Trent.

Not sure Liam will be up for all of the swing bridges though!!

What's his objection??

OK they slow you up a bit but all the ones on the New Junction (bar the one at Syke House puzzle lock) are all powered and it's great fun bringing the whole of Barnby Dun to a standstill when you go. through there. biggrin.png

(well I exaggerate but you soon have a decent three way jam built up for sure)

The run after Doncaster as I've said a few times on here is very very pleasant and Sprotbrough is a lovely mooring and a nice village.

It's more the run from Bramwith to Keady he dislikes.

Bramwith up to Sprotborough we have not yet done.

The lift bridges on the new junction he is fine with as I do them all and just walk/jog between them so he has no need to stop at each one!

I am just investigating Kings Lynn further for a long weekend as it looks easily doable in a few days plus we can squeeze in a visit to Witham and Blues for a steak.

It has pretty much been decided tonight that we are going to head across to Kings Lynn for a couple of nights at the end of September and make a long weekend of it with a visit to Witham and Blues on the way back up the Witham.

Plan B if the weather isn't great is a nip up the Welland to Fossdyke as this isn't far.

Then later in October we will take another long weekend and head down the Humber to spend a couple of nights in Hull, again weather dependant.

If you fancy something different (note, different, not necessarily exciting) then the Hull and Beverley Beck might appeal. You could push onto Snakeholme on the Driffield as well. Wansford Bridge is fixed low and you'd need Asbo to get any further

Also the Ancholme on the South Side.

I'd love to see the look on the YWT corporate face if you turned up at Sutton Lock on the Derwent as well... but reports of that navigation suggests you may not want to chance it.

Let's get this straight: Your going to Hull, deliberately, for a holiday?

:D

More of a couple of nights out.

Makes for a good run from Lincoln as well. Plenty of chance to open the boat up and give her a good long run.

Hull Marina is actually quite nice as well. Well worth the visit. Might be a bit pricey for a narrowboat though. It's £16 for a 23ft boat!

If you fancy something different (note, different, not necessarily exciting) then the Hull and Beverley Beck might appeal. You could push onto Snakeholme on the Driffield as well. Wansford Bridge is fixed low and you'd need Asbo to get any further

Also the Ancholme on the South Side.

I'd love to see the look on the YWT corporate face if you turned up at Sutton Lock on the Derwent as well... but reports of that navigation suggests you may not want to chance it.

Some interesting and different ideas there. The trouble we have with the timing of this short break is that it will be very much weather dependant. We may not get anywhere!!

So we have now booked the first of our long weekend breaks for the end of next month and we have decided weather dependant that we are heading over the Kings Lynn.

So the question is having never set foot in Kings Lynn before now what is there to do there?

We will get there at about 2pm on the Saturday so will have saturday night, all day sunday and monday morning to spend in Kings Lynn so we need some ideas.

Any tips on good pubs and eateries will also be appreciated.

The shopping centre in the middle of Kings Lynn is a bit like walking into a time warp in a classic sixties/seventies concrete architecture kind of way. I found it gruesomely fascinating. The rest is nice to explore. There is a lot of history in Kings Lynn, especially close to the waterfront

• 5 weeks later...

Right so this trip has come around quite quickly we set off next Friday evening after work at about 7pm and have to be at Boston Grand Sluice for 10.45am on Saturday morning, which will mean a bit of a long cruise on Friday evening and an early start on Saturday. On the plus side it means that we should be moored on the pontoons at Kings Lynn for about 1.00pm so we have some extra time to explore the place.

With this extra time in mind does anybody know of any decent museums to visit, places to explore, good pubs and decent places to eat?

We will be moored in the historic waterfront area with the moorings right outside the Marriott's warehouse which seems an obvious place to start, we need to pop in anyway for an electric card so may book in there for dinner on the Saturday night. We want to see the minster and the parks and Im sure there will be plenty to keep me and the camera happy but I need something to keep Liam happy which will usually revolve around alcohol!!

ETA: We wont be leaving whilst mid afternoon on the Monday to head back home so we have plenty of time to explore.

Edited by Naughty Cal