Been looking at boats, can't decide!

Ricco1

Featured Posts

Consensus seems to favour the Springer. To be honest I'm sure it would be a nicer boat to live on in many ways. There's more light inside because of bigger windows and there's a really nice side hatch, the roof slides open there too. There are other pluses too.

There are some downsides to it though. The Hallmark has a grill and 2 hobs, the Springer just 2 hobs. I like my toast in the morning! The Hallmark's seating can be used as an occasional guest bed wheras the Springer has a sofa, which can't.

I've viewed a hull survey on the Springer from 4 years ago. The hull was sound and it's been blacked since then. However the bottom plate was as thin as 4.6mm in places. 4 years on, a little thinner maybe?

I'm tending to lean towards the Springer despite the negatives I've mentioned. I can buy a 1000w invertor and power a toaster I think?. And if I have guests they can use my bed, I'll kit myself on the floor for a night.

The one thing that's holding me back is the age, and the previous thickness of the hull. Will I be looking at overplating a few years from now?

You have to understand that Springers were built to varying standards depending on what steel they had access to at the time. They didn't obsess about plate thickness because the chined hull design didn't require it. There are scores of waterbugs around the system that haven't been overplated and they were built with - wait for it - 3mm plate!

You shouldn't hesitate to buy a boat with a hull thickness of 4-5 mm provided it is consistent. The real concern is evidence of pitting - localised areas of significant corrosion. Get an up to date survey and see if there are any problem areas.

Edited by Neil2

You have to understand that Springers were built to varying standards depending on what steel they had access to at the time. They didn't obsess about plate thickness because the chined hull design didn't require it. There are scores of waterbugs around the system that haven't been overplated and they were built with - wait for it - 3mm plate!

You shouldn't hesitate to buy a boat with a hull thickness of 4-5 mm provided it is consistent. The real concern is evidence of pitting - localised areas of significant corrosion. Get an up to date survey and see if there are any problem areas.

Thanks, that's certainly put my mind at ease! The old survey did mention limited pitting but only to a depth of maximum 0.5mm, the implication was that this wasn't important.

I often wonder how many NB owners are conned into having their boats overplated at great expense when all that is needed is attention to the worst areas.

The only real area of concern on a Springer is the chine, partly because this often rubs against the side when moored and because it is/was formed by bending the plates rather than welding two together. If the chine is in good order the chances are the rest of the boat will be fine.

I'm tending to lean towards the Springer despite the negatives I've mentioned. I can buy a 1000w invertor and power a toaster I think?.

That is a pretty inefficient way of making toast !

Have you looked at the springer on Rugby Boats website. Pictures look very good.

Does anyone else think the boat saying it is a Springer does not look like it has the hull of any of the various Springer variants they've seen?

Starcoaster's right - now I look at it closely it doesn't look like a Springer at all, though I think in the last years of the company they did experiment with a less recognisable design - there are better qualified members on the forum who might be able to shed some light.

It still looks like the better of the two boats.

Does anyone else think the boat saying it is a Springer does not look like it has the hull of any of the various Springer variants they've seen?

It's the same or very similar to Laurie Booth's boat and I'm sure his is a Springer - but of a very different design (tug style though not a 'tug' in the usual NB sense) to the ones you see most oft.

Laurie's boat -

hungerford.jpg

Interesting Springer thread

Edited by The Dog House

Having slept on it, I'm more inclined to put an offer in on the Hallmark. Although not as nice inside it's probably the more practical of the 2 boats. There's more storage space inside it, better cooking facilities. The cruiser deck is better for when I have guests, as is the third berth. £3K less should go a long way towards bringing the inside up to scratch. And it's 9 years younger. Plus the seller, who owns a boatyard, is prepared to make a mooring concession that will make my life as a continuous cruiser much easier.

The one thing that's niggling me is the engine. It sounded sweet when the seller started it, there were no plumes of smoke or anything. But having searched 'Vetus' on this site there seems to be a lot of negativity, particularly as regards the cost of spare parts. There's little or no documented history of the engine. I'm wondering whether it would be worth paying someone to look it over, perhaps make a satisfactory appraisal part of the agreement, as a satisfactory survey will be?

The one thing that's niggling me is the engine. It sounded sweet when the seller started it, there were no plumes of smoke or anything. But having searched 'Vetus' on this site there seems to be a lot of negativity, particularly as regards the cost of spare parts. There's little or no documented history of the engine. I'm wondering whether it would be worth paying someone to look it over, perhaps make a satisfactory appraisal part of the agreement, as a satisfactory survey will be?

And how many engines do Vetus sell a year? I've seen various problems with all sorts of engines and it is usually due to installation or age related. They did not make the engine they only stuck bits on it to put it in a boat.

It's the same or very similar to Laurie Booth's boat and I'm sure his is a Springer - but of a very different design (tug style though not a 'tug' in the usual NB sense) to the ones you see most oft.

Laurie's boat -

hungerford.jpg

Interesting Springer thread

Yes my boat is a 1989 Springer with the same shower taps as the Springer the OP is looking at.

And how many engines do Vetus sell a year? I've seen various problems with all sorts of engines and it is usually due to installation or age related. They did not make the engine they only stuck bits on it to put it in a boat.

I didn't know that. So I guess if the engine appears to run sweetly I shouldn't worry about that aspect.

My boat is a 2001, and has a Vetus 4.14. My surveyor said it was a good engine, and the BSS examiner commented on how good it was last week.

In 2 years, it hasn't missed a beat. It's got about 2000 hours on it.

Is the fuel capacity on the Hallmark correct, 20 gal. tank? The Springer has 100 gal. tank. Springer also has 100 gal. water tank and Hallmark only 50. Not sure if that makes a big difference or what. From a girly point of view I don't like the hobs next to the sink like that. You could burn yourself if cooking and trying to use the sink at the same time. If it is only you, then forget what I said...men don't cook, only open cans and use a spoon wink.png It is certainly a buyers market so maybe make an offer and see if they bite. If not, walk away and see if they chase you.

Personally, if you cannot make a decision and have to ask opinions, then you are probably not ready to buy. Look at some other boats for a week or two and if those two boats sell, then they were not for you. I believe in fate and your boat is out there looking for you as much as you are looking for it. I think you are trying to talk yourself into getting something because you want it now and don't want to wait a little longer. I completely understand that. I'm the same. Like everyone else has said, when you find the right one you will know....probably the moment you get inside.

It just so happens that I know both these boats, Rensal was only sold a couple of years ago it belonged to a friend of mine and he sold it becouse he bought a new boat. It had been blacked every 2 years up until he sold it and was well looked after, The yorkshire rose (Springer) is moored near to me and has recently had work done and painted. it looks tidy inside but not sure of its history. PM me if you want any more info

Not sure if you are looking for a particular size, but I like the looks of this one.

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/boat/filterBoats/price/20000-30000

Only if you are called Dave, and your other half is Helen :)

Joking aside, they look to have some well priced boats for sale, so probably worth a trip.

In 2011, I spent a few months looking at boats within about 50 miles of Manchester. Those that we liked enough to decide go back for a second look sold before we decided, some we dithered over and didn't go back. We came across the boat we bought further away than my self imposed distance limit, it didn't look good in the photos, but it was cheap. We had a look, went for a coffee, both hoping the other liked it, offered the asking price, deal done.

In a sense, I think it's fair to say that when you walk aboard the boat you want, you will know! Having said that, if two boats have the same effect at the same time, perhaps it doesn't matter which one you buy. Once you have made the decision to buy one of them, your mind will nag you incessantly if it's the wrong decision.

In the meantime, don't stop looking, as your boat might just be waiting for you.

Not sure if you are looking for a particular size, but I like the looks of this one.

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/boat/filterBoats/price/20000-30000

Looked at that boat.

Will need a lot of time spent on it as well as money, so I believe its overpriced

But that's my opinion

But Great Heywood has a lot of nice boats and there friendly

Just had another look at the photos.

I still think the Springer.

Have you visited the boat or spoken to the owner or broker. To me, the settee in the lounge looks like a Wilsons Bed Settee to me with a cover on it. The cooking facility can be easily improved.

The Hallmark boat just looks like a lot of work to get it up to scratch. Engine 'looks' a little unloved.

Martyn.

Looked at that boat.

Will need a lot of time spent on it as well as money, so I believe its overpriced

But that's my opinion

But Great Heywood has a lot of nice boats and there friendly

Just proves you need to go look at the boats and see them for yourself. Looked good in the pics.

Just proves you need to go look at the boats and see them for yourself. Looked good in the pics.

Adverts are only useful to let you know they have a boat for sale. There's no way you can get how the boat feels from the adverts

Richard