Stealth boat/bomber?? - Very unusual boat ID please

pete23

Featured Posts

I would have searched but I wouldn't know where to start.

The first pic above is just a little weird but the second one is the very boat. Might not be the exact same one but that's the hull shape.

It is a tight squeeze to get past if someone is coming the other way.

It does look like a long term project.

Joe

And reading the older threads, yes it has the biggest generator I've seen on the cut welded to it!!

When we first passed it (the black Polynesian type) in August it was moored on the South Oxford near Napton Marina. When we returned in September it had moved onto the GU around bridge 112. The big onboard genny was operating and a couple of guys were welding stuff on the deck so I presume it's a work in progress.

A mighty strange looking craft though!

Ken

Like topics merged.

Which is dead confusing, as all the stuff about, "do you mean the one in this thread", or "this is discussed here", all points back at the same thread as it is now in!

It looks like people are being unbelievably dense unobservant now, if you don't know it is two threads merged together!

It's a blurry nuisance - as it's moored (or was in August) on the really narrow bit past Napton marina. Its sticky out bulbous bits make it a widbeam, but the canal is to narrow dimensions at that point.

I seem to remember that it used to be a long way down on the GU - Tring mebe. That was at least 10 years ago.

It is between Braunston and Wolfhamcote at the moment. I happen to know that you can fit two narrowboats side by side between it and the bank - if one of the boats is right against the offside (us) and the other boat is steered by an enthusiastic teenager

Richard

It is between Braunston and Wolfhamcote at the moment. I happen to know that you can fit two narrowboats side by side between it and the bank - if one of the boats is right against the offside (us) and the other boat is steered by an enthusiastic teenager

Richard

Presumably still by bridge 102 then, it was there last weekend. I held back last weekend to let a hire boat through the bridge and past it, but no doubt be you can get 2 boats side by side past it but I would rather not try!

I didn't intend to try, I thought that the other boat might have held back, being as he had a big, fat boat moored up on his side. No matter though, no collisions, no damage

I thought it was a bit closer to Braunston than bridge 102, I don't have anything here to work it out with

Richard

Bridge 102 is the one with the road to Flecknoe (Old Olive Bush pub), a popular mooring spot usually with boats both sides. It was by bridge 105 (the new one that is quite low) a few weeks ago, so may be moving in Braunston direction.

• 1 month later...

I have seen a wide beam just past barby straight before, so the bridges must be wide enough, and they can turn before Hillmorton locks.

Given it has take this particular boat most of this year to go the 5 miles from Napton to Braunston, it is probably a years cruise (pole) to go to Hillmorton and back to Braunston.

Aha, that makes sense as a mooring was up for grabs there recently. I am sure it specified narrow beam though, does anyone know how wide this boat actually is? I thought it was wide?

Only one, There were only 3 on the whole length last week and I would bet a pint of Hooky 2 of them weren't meant to be there.