Featured Posts

Hi. I've just started a new blog about the Canals and the Nature that goes with them, but i'm struggling for avid readers, and thought that I should try to tailor the content more to what people want to see. So, if anyone could suggest good blogs about canals or anything that they think could help me out I would be ever so greatful. Cheers.

Yeh, I'd love something about how to get English Nature etc. to keep their expensive ideas away for restoration, repair and maintenance. I am getting very fed up with the way their sectional interests are costing everyone else money. Canals were built for boats. Not bat, newts and sundry "rare" water plants.

Yeh, I'd love something about how to get English Nature etc. to keep their expensive ideas away for restoration, repair and maintenance. I am getting very fed up with the way their sectional interests are costing everyone else money. Canals were built for boats. Not bat, newts and sundry "rare" water plants.

Thanks! I also agree, when i see all the maintenance work that could make a real difference to our canals, not being done, then see all these projects spouting up about, as you say, the "rare" water plants, and the like. I think i will write a post about this, once i collect all the data I need. Cheers again :)

We had them and the EA at a Broads forum meeting recently about water quality and not draining sedge land. They sat and let the EA man do all the talking and said absolutely nothing on the matter, whereas at the end of the day its them who have the say on what happens.

We had them and the EA at a Broads forum meeting recently about water quality and not draining sedge land. They sat and let the EA man do all the talking and said absolutely nothing on the matter, whereas at the end of the day its them who have the say on what happens.

It seems like this is an issue i wasn't aware about, but i am on the case now don't you worry. Check by my blog - http://canalworksnature.wordpress.com whenever you can, I hope you like what you see :)Should hopefully get this post on by tomorrow night

When something like the high speed rail is proposed the cry goes up canals were here first it shouldn't be allowed to damage the canals. Well the environment was there before the canals, OK when they were built it wasn't under threat as it is now and even if it had been it is doubtful if the industrialists of the time would have taken notice.

We live in a time when the environment is being damaged daily however fortunately many (obviously not all) realise that if we are to survive for many more millennia the web of life in all its forms needs protected.

When something like the high speed rail is proposed the cry goes up canals were here first it shouldn't be allowed to damage the canals. Well the environment was there before the canals, OK when they were built it wasn't under threat as it is now and even if it had been it is doubtful if the industrialists of the time would have taken notice.

We live in a time when the environment is being damaged daily however fortunately many (obviously not all) realise that if we are to survive for many more millennia the web of life in all its forms needs protected.

So overall you believe the HS2 is a necessary evil? i'm not sure what your position in all this is, but I do agree that it is slightly hypocritical to say that the Canal should get priority because it was here first, when if that was the case it wouldn't even be there in the first place!

• Greenie 1

So overall you believe the HS2 is a necessary evil? i'm not sure what your position in all this is, but I do agree that it is slightly hypocritical to say that the Canal should get priority because it was here first, when if that was the case it wouldn't even be there in the first place!

I was merely using that as an example of the things that have been complained about. My point was that things can't always be taken in chronological order and the inconvenience and slight (in the great scheme of things) extra expense should not be a reason for not preserving our environment and all its inhabitants. We are still only learning about the effects of upsetting a small part of a habitat and the knock on effects.

With regard to HS2 it will not be built in my life time so I haven't studied it enough to form an intelligent opinion.

I was merely using that as an example of the things that have been complained about. My point was that things can't always be taken in chronological order and the inconvenience and slight (in the great scheme of things) extra expense should not be a reason for not preserving our environment and all its inhabitants. We are still only learning about the effects of upsetting a small part of a habitat and the knock on effects.

With regard to HS2 it will not be built in my life time so I haven't studied it enough to form an intelligent opinion.

I take the point, cheers.

I looked at your blog.

Is there any evidence that swans have ever broken anyones limbs or is this another urban myth?

Dave

Urban Myth. Bird Ringers and animal rescue organisations regularly catch and handle swans with out damage - well perhaps a bruiae or two sometimes.

I looked at your blog.

Is there any evidence that swans have ever broken anyones limbs or is this another urban myth?

No way could a swan physically break a limb on a human. I used to catch and ring birds. Unless they have a hooked beak, strong talons or can projectile vomit stomach contents.. You are pretty safe. Now if a swan flew at you in a rage or startled you and you subsequently tripped over.... or there was an old lady about....

Have a look at http://the-onion-bargee.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/swan-story-you-will-never-forget.html

and http://the-onion-bargee.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/his-goose-was-cooked.html

plus http://the-onion-bargee.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/rotherham-old-ladies-pigeon-fanciers.html