Stoke Bruerne Visitor Moorings

Leo No2

Featured Posts

I got an email today with A questioner as I was clocked at one of the three sites in question.

I think we have been through Stoke Bruerne with one or other boat at least 4 times recently, usually with an overnight stop, and I have not received one. Additionally "Sickle" was there for a longish stay in connection with "Village at War".

The stealth boat kit appears to be working.

(Or their checking really isn't that effective, of course, but I'm sure that cannot be the case :lol:)

I think we have been through Stoke Bruerne with one or other boat at least 4 times recently, usually with an overnight stop, and I have not received one. Additionally "Sickle" was there for a longish stay in connection with "Village at War".

The stealth boat kit appears to be working.

(Or their checking really isn't that effective, of course, but I'm sure that cannot be the case laugh.png)

I have also been to Foxton so I may have been clocked there

NABO has been advised that new signage and revised leaflets with the winter mooring regulations are being prepared and will be in place during October. Volunteers are being briefed of the changes this week.

From Keeping Up's experience (post #442) some of the volunteers have not yet mastered the new summer regs.

From Keeping Up's experience (post #442) some of the volunteers have not yet mastered the new summer regs.

That wasn't a volunteer, I think you will find - it was what I believe is probably a senior enforcement person for the area, which is what made it all the more surprising.

That wasn't a volunteer, I think you will find - it was what I believe is probably a senior enforcement person for the area, which is what made it all the more surprising.

Lets hope the senior enforcement officer is not the one briefing the volunteers!

I must say that most of my posts on this forum are tongue in cheek or similar, and I tend to think that when I'm out on the boat I'll deal with whatever as it occurs - worked many years overseas and this policy didn't get me killed (although came a bit close at times!) but for the size of organisation that C&RT is (BW was) and the huge amounts of money involved, lets hope they never buy a brewery. It doesn't matter how good some of the employees are, the perception is they are only as good as the biggest idiot working for them.

(Go on, somebody tell me they already own a brewery).

I've followed the various posts about C&RT, meetings with boaters, new boating organisations etc, but in reality out on the canals, which is, to me, where it counts, things in general have not improved over the past few years - in some ways they are worse. My timing is probably out, but back in the late sixties and eary seventies, things were bad, and due to a smallish number of dedicated people,the canals took on a new lease of life. Despite the efforts of similarly dedicated people today, although I'm not normally a pessimist, I don't think my great-grandchildren (one due imminently!) will have the chance to enjoy the canals as I have.

If what Allan said is correct and I have no reason to doubt it, the person concerned is the last person who I would have thought would have been passing apparently incorrect comments about that particular situation.

That person is one of the most fastidious and boater friendly CRT people that I know although I have to admit that I have only ever had communication with them in passing since they've worked for CRT (I did also work with the person somewhere else on and off for about a year and they behaved in a similar exemplarily manner then in my view).

I posted a link to someones blog on the 12th sept on this subject and there experience when all this started at sb. I was very surprised that no one picked up on it or made any comments. anyway as it's on the open internet still I could copy and paste it here

there post is below

My experience of CART handling the launch of Stoke Bruerne new VM rules

We haven't been trading that long so this was our first time trading at Stoke Bruerne. We arrived about 5pm on Thursday night ready for trading the weekend.

Friday 23rd August

All the new signage is in place stating the new rules start today when on the Internet it stated the start date was tomorrow. Also some of the arrows were pointing the wrong way causing confusion there too. Zones were not clearly marked on the towpath so we just guessed that the first couple of zones would be between the tunnel mouth and the top lock. Shortly after us another trader arrived and tied up.

In the afternoon an Un-uniformed volunteer on his first day arrived and started taking numbers, we advised him there was an anomaly being that the signage stated it started today but CART website states it doesn't start till tomorrow? He phones CRT fella who arrives within the hour to argue the case till he is shown the evidence on the cart website and backs down. (After volunteer has already taken our number). A reasonably heated discussion ensues with said CRT employee who hasn't spoken to anyone who is against the VM changes and as far as he is concerned everyone is all for it apart from us.

We were given a map which showed the various zones. The third trade boat which arrived earlier

Moved down two locks to the next available zone.

Saturday 24th August.

Another Trade boat arrived today which had phoned Suzie Mercer I believe and booked a three day stay in the zone we were in, to enable them to meet some family which were due to visit. They, i beleive were unaware of the two trader limit and wasnt advised by Ms Mercer when they called either. So now we have three trade boats in one zone lol. That afternoon Julia Moore and Jeff Wyatt arrived to take numbers and a very awkward situation arose when they arrived at our boat. There was a chap, who I have spoken to on the internet many times moored in front of us, he is most unhappy with various members of the CART 'team' and had been telling us all sorts of horror stories earlier in the day. He happened to be chatting to Yogi as Jeff Wyatt approached. The chap in question greeted him politely, and the conversation went something like this:

Neigbour: 'Mr Wyatt'.

JW 'Ah Mr &&&&& , I didn't recognise you with your teeth'.

Neighbour: 'Pardon?'

JW ' erm, I didn't recognise you with your glasses'

It was quite awkward and obvious that Mr Wyatt didn't like my neighbour.

To try and dilute the situation a bit, I asked why CART had imposed a two trader limit? To be told that the RCTA had requested the limit and not CART. I didn't think this was the case and explained that it had been enforced by CART upon us as an exchange for being able to stay for two extra days. But they were both adamant, this was not the case, RCTA has stipulated the restriction and went on to say they 'had hoped that traders would police themselves'. This made me a bit cross and I said I would check with the RCTA as I was sure this was not the case.

This prompted our neighbour to point out various other instances where CART had said stuff that wasn't true or accurate. Including, how CART had said they had had loads of complaints regarding Visitor Moorings being full, but a FOI request proved this to be untrue.

Mr Wyatts attitude towards our neighbour was terrible, he became very aggressive, shouting 'he did not appreciate being called a liar!' This then degenerated into what I can only describe as a slanging match. For a CART representative to behave in such a way is unacceptable.

It was awful to witness, to have such a blazing row, using such insulting language was very unprofessional and definitely not the behaviour I would have expected from someone at that level of management. I have never met him before, I have a fair impression of him now, and its not a good one.

That evening I advised the RCTA what had happened and was advised that Susie Mercer stipulated the limit. I became more cross. People in a position of authirity, giving information to the public need to be giving the correct information. If I had not been a member of the RCTA and known the truth of the matter I would have taken Julia Moore at her word. Ending up very misinformed.

Sunday 25th August

Jeff Wyatt appeared again today, taking numbers and hovering outside my boat. My neighbour was sitting in his chair on the bank soaking up the sun.

I engaged him in conversation, I felt I had to, he was hovering. So I asked him about the lack of 14 day VM at Stoke Bruerne. Saying I thought, seeing as CC's made up 10% of boaters, shouldn't 10% of VM space be allocated to14 days?

He explained about how years ago VM were marked up as 14 days to give boaters a different place to moor, to enjoy different areas etc. (or words to that effect, I cant remember exactly). He then went on to say that there will no longer be any 14 day visitor moorings . The definition of a VM will be a place to moor that is less than 14 days. Basic towpath moorings will be 14 days and visitor moorings will always be less. He said he planned to mow extra grass on either side of the visitor moorings to make it easier for people to moor outside the VM for 14 day's and wouldn't be putting any rings in ( which would make it a facility).

I said thank you and turned to serve a customer, or do something to politely indicate the conversation had ended.

Mr Wyatt went and sat apx 10 feet away on the bank just behind my neighbour, opposite his boat. He played with his paperwork and made a phone call, all the while watching my neighbour, who was sitting facing me so had his back to him. He sat there for ages, looking very aggravated and gave me the impression he was trying to goad my neighbour. You could actually cut the atmosphere he was creating with a knife. It prompted me to advise my neighbour to 'stay calm and don't rise to it'.

After about ten minutes Mr Wyatt approached my neighbour with some paperwork. 'I have to give you this' he said with no explanation of what it was. I thought it was a ticket.

'No thank you, don't want it' was my neighbours reply

'Thats your choice' he continued still holding the folded paper out ' but I have to give it to you'

'What is it? I asked as it seemed we were not getting anywhere with the paper transfer.

It was explanitory notes stating that if my neighbour was here tomorrow he would incur the £25 per day fine/charge. He explained he didn't need a copy as he planned to move to the next zone tomorrow. I asked him to give it to me as I would be interested in reading it.

We also mentioned that instead of giving every visiting boat 2-3 leaflets per visit perhaps the charity's money could be better spent on some clear explanatory signage. Again we were told everyone apart from us it would seem thought it far better to make all those copies.

So, it would seem that everyone that CART speak to is all for the changes but everyone I spoke to was against and I made a point of staying on the fence when I spoke.

I was told by some boaters that it was actually the villagers that pushed for the restrictions as they didn't like the 'scruffy boats' staying there. Don't know how true that was but by the end of the weekend Stoke Bruerne had lost all its charm for me. We left Sunday evening as by this time we had had enough. I don't think we will be returning any time soon either.

and the link http://nbrae.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2013-09-04T19:42:00%2B01:00&max-results=2

Edited by waggers

We came through SB on Sunday morning on the way back to base. I've never seen the top moorings so empty -- just three visiting boats. There were four in the long pound.

I've emailed to ask why on earth a 'tunnel waiting only' area has been instituted -- given that it's a two way tunnel and widebeam passage has to be booked and is only at 8am. I can't imagine there are more than a handful of cases a year when it's necessary to wait to enter the tunnel. Although I wouldn't be surprised if first timers see the waiting area, and think they have to wait for something...

At the SEVM Consultation meeting, there was no suggestion that a tunnel waiting area was needed, it has to be something that was dreamed up after the consultation. The only thing mentioned at the meeting was when somebody commented that if a widebeam craft moored right at the end there it might obstruct the tunnel entrance, and so CRT said they would think about whether it would be appropriate to label one boat's length in front of the tunnel mouth as suitable for narrow-boats only and without breasting up.

This is just one of half-a-dozen things which were changed by CRT after the meeting, and every one of them reduces the amount of visitor mooring.

Agreed I can't recall any mention of a tunnel waiting area or it being in the draft plans. My concern is that what next I am told more boats use Blissworth now and there have been complaints as boats can't find a space so will that mean restrictions introduced etc etc

I'm moored at the clearly signed 14 day visitor moorings at Weedon. With CRTs statement that there should be no 14 day visitor moorings so they can either remove the sign , do nothing or change to a shorter period , I suspect the latter.

Edited by Tuscan

We came through SB on Sunday morning on the way back to base. I've never seen the top moorings so empty -- just three visiting boats. There were four in the long pound.

I've emailed to ask why on earth a 'tunnel waiting only' area has been instituted -- given that it's a two way tunnel and widebeam passage has to be booked and is only at 8am. I can't imagine there are more than a handful of cases a year when it's necessary to wait to enter the tunnel. Although I wouldn't be surprised if first timers see the waiting area, and think they have to wait for something...

I don't know the exact figure of wb's going through, (I've emailed the guy I ring to find out) but I think it would be safe to say "several handfulls". The waiting area on the sb side I think is necessary, you have to be there by 07.30. I usually get there the night before.

Just arrived at Stoke Breune this afternoon , lovely evening, birds singing, sun making the tops of the trees golden as it goes down. Can let the dogs roam as I can honestly say we can not see another moored boat. We are about 50m down from the winding hole. Off shortly to enjoy an Indian and a few beers. If I could guarantee this seclusion it would almost be worth paying the extra £25 to stay longer !!

Mooring restrictions would have been the least of yourproblems if you'd wanted to stop at SB today. The moorings at the bottom had two boats at the lock end, and the rest was taken up by a fishing match. The match continued in every pound up the flight, so there we're no lock landings available anywhere, and right along the long pound. Some friends of our who were coming down had hoped to moor in the long pound but ended up having to go on to Grafton Regis. Maybe this is the latest ploy to keep the moorings clear of boats.

Edited by adam1uk

Mooring restrictions would have been the least of yourproblems if you'd wanted to stop at SB today. The moorings at the bottom had two boats at the lock end, and the rest was taken up by a fishing match. The match continued in every pound up the flight, so there we're no lock landings available anywhere, and right along the long pound. Some friends of our who were coming down had hoped to moor in the long pound but ended up having to go on to Grafton Regis. Maybe this is the latest ploy to keep the moorings clear of boats.

This has been mentioned in the "Do anglers hate boaters thread so I will copy and paste my query here as well.

I am not a fisher but I assume that matches are require at the very least to notify CRT. It would be interesting to hear what CRT say about this. In view of their "Guidelines for fishing along canals and rivers" saying

When fishing at visitor moorings be prepared to pack up and move if yours is the only space available for mooring. When visitor moorings are likely to be busy think whether it is sensible to fish there.

and

Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines.

Does anyone who actually witnessed this fancy dropping them an email?

I am seeing Jeff Wyatt on Wednesday - I'll mention it to him and see what is reaction is.

I had a very interesting time talking to Jeff Wyatt today some of which I can share and some I have agreed not to just yet. However the one thing I believe you will all want to know is about the relaxation for the winter.

Yes the restrictions will be relaxed for the winter to become 14 days and the period will be 01-November to 31-March each year - the Thursday before Good Friday has been replaced by a fixed date (31-March) which I believe is sensible for everyone. Enforcement will still be carried out so I believe it is up to all of us to follow the guidelines. Notices will go up very soon at the trial sites.

I moored at Stoke Bruerne on Monday night great wee spot and we moored just after the winding hole as we were heading back the following day.

4 other boats I think. No problems at all and pretty quiet.

We did the same last Friday night. Lovely spot.

Just been down to see what the winter mooring signs look like as they should take effect, I think, from Friday, (understand they may be 'ice' blue) but summer restriction signs still in place. I'll keep an eye out and post a photo when they are changed. I imagine that the bankside staff may be out checking things after the challenging weather of yesterday.

Edited by Leo No2

Just been down to see what the winter mooring signs look like as they should take effect, I think, from Friday, (understand they may be 'ice' blue) but summer restriction signs still in place. I'll keep an eye out and post a photo when they are changed. I imagine that the bankside staff may be out checking things after the challenging weather of yesterday.

Will be arriving at Foxton later today will also check.

The main "Welcome" boards have had a sticky label attached at the bottom, which says that you can "see the totems" for details of the winter restrictions.

(This is squeezed in in ridiculously small lettering).

However, as of yesterday, there was nothing on the totems......