Huddersfield Narrow Sinking

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Just now, jetzi said:

Thanks. So this technique is frowned upon because presumably you could damage the lock gates if you do it incorrectly?

Takes some practice to make sure everything ends up in the right place, if you get it wrong the boat can crash the bottom gates or the boat ends up too close to the top gate and you have to drag it forward or the strapping post is too close to the handrail and the rope gets stuck. Plenty to get wrong.

42 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Takes some practice to make sure everything ends up in the right place, if you get it wrong the boat can crash the bottom gates or the boat ends up too close to the top gate and you have to drag it forward or the strapping post is too close to the handrail and the rope gets stuck. Plenty to get wrong.

Yes, that, and the fact that nearly every boat has an engine these days. It's a lot more difficult and dangerous than engaging reverse. Nor are strapping posts universal.

1 hour ago, IanD said:

There aren't any offside paddles on most of those HNC locks (including the dodgy one), they have two ground paddles on the nearside. So the normal thing to do coming out of the lock (going up) is to push the gate open and drop the paddles, which is when the fun starts...

P1030122.JPG

I'm not familiar with HNC paddle gear but since the thread had been resurrected after being dormant for 8 years none of the posts before mine had been explicitly about the HNC, it was a generic discussion. 

15 hours ago, IanD said:

There aren't any offside paddles on most of those HNC locks (including the dodgy one), they have two ground paddles on the nearside. So the normal thing to do coming out of the lock (going up) is to push the gate open and drop the paddles, which is when the fun starts...

P1030122.JPG

Your pic shows a lock on the Diggle flight.  The lock causing the trouble is much further down, and IIRC has the normal arrangement of paddles, on both sides.

1 minute ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Your pic shows a lock on the Diggle flight.  The lock causing the trouble is much further down, and IIRC has the normal arrangement of paddles, on both sides.

You're right -- and looking at the photo of the original sinking, my memory tells me it wasn't that lock (9E) that we nearly came to grief in but one of the ones on the Diggle flight (that I posted the photo from), I remember looking down at the boat from the port side.

Which is even more worrying if more than one HNC lock had the same problem. Still, we escaped without any damage thanks to being pre-warned about the problem on here... 😉

16 hours ago, IanD said:

P1030122.JPG

Actually in that picture, both top paddles and the balance beam are on the offside. The towpath is on the right.

16 hours ago, jetzi said:

Thanks. So this technique is frowned upon because presumably you could damage the lock gates if you do it incorrectly?

The one thing you are not going to do is damage the top gate. But if the rope is too long and the boat is full length you could crash the bottom gate, albeit at reduced speed.

The strapping post on the gate in the video is not particularly tall and is rectangular, so not particularly easy to use. Some gates have taller strapping posts, oval in shape and banded with iron strips to take the wear from ropes. With these you can let the rope out a little as the gate shuts, if you have taken it too tight in the first place.

Strapping works best with a heavy boat. If you try it with a light boat you usually end up with everything stationary with the boat not fully into the lock and the gate half closed.

Strapping gates closed was (and still is) an essential part of horse boating and when bowhauling butties through narrow locks separately from the motor.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Actually in that picture, both top paddles and the balance beam are on the offside. The towpath is on the right.

True -- I meant the paddles were both on the same side as the balance beam, so no back-and-forth crossing over needed to operate the lock.

I'm still pretty sure it was one of these where we had the problem though, not 9A...