Are All Ecofans The Same?

Salopgal

Featured Posts

At the risk of being shot down in flames....

I've seen Ecofans on a couple of boats in the past and forgotten to ask what brand they were - I know the owners liked them. There seems to be a dazzling range of these from £55 up to £145 and try as I might, I can't find out too easily what the difference in price represents in terms of output, build etc. Someone's offered to buy me one, which is very kind, but I don't know how they all differ. Caframo seem the most expensive, but look pretty sturdy.

Some have three blades, some just two - it's all so confusing!

Anyway, all constructive advice very welcome.

Thank you! K

If someone has offered you one then accept it. You can use it and decide for yourself if it does what you hope or expect. We were offered one (free of charge by a friend who was giving up boating) and it was great. it is a three blade model of the older type before there was such a range available. Recently it has not seemed as efficient as before so I sent it away to see if it could be refurished. It has had a new motor fitted and tested and the cost including return postage is just £27.

I think that apart from them having 2 or 3 blades the majority of the differences are aesthetic ones but I am no expert so someone will be along in a mo to advise differently.

We find it makes a very noticable difference to our boat in winter

Hi

Different makers use different forms of chocolate. I believe the three bladed types need a darker chocolate to enable them to spin without overheating the space they are situated within. The problem with the three blade version is often overheating of the living area. Stick with the two bladed variety if I were you but do not sit within 12 feet of it or serious heat burns can be sustained. A small dab of snake oil on a cotton wool bud is all that is needed to keep the spindle in good order.

Tim

At the risk of being shot down in flames....

I've seen Ecofans on a couple of boats in the past and forgotten to ask what brand they were - I know the owners liked them. There seems to be a dazzling range of these from £55 up to £145 and try as I might, I can't find out too easily what the difference in price represents in terms of output, build etc. Someone's offered to buy me one, which is very kind, but I don't know how they all differ. Caframo seem the most expensive, but look pretty sturdy.

Some have three blades, some just two - it's all so confusing!

Anyway, all constructive advice very welcome.

Thank you! K

Someone has offered to buy you one??

Bite their hand off and flog it on eBay....

I'm told by my (house) chimney sweep, who sees a lot of them, that the Chinese copies do not last well. However I have a friend who has a Chinese one and is very satisfied with it. I am happy with Caframo, which was obtained from a local builders merchant at a discounted price, but still more than the copies.

If someone has offered you one then accept it. You can use it and decide for yourself if it does what you hope or expect. We were offered one (free of charge by a friend who was giving up boating) and it was great. it is a three blade model of the older type before there was such a range available. Recently it has not seemed as efficient as before so I sent it away to see if it could be refurished. It has had a new motor fitted and tested and the cost including return postage is just £27.

I think that apart from them having 2 or 3 blades the majority of the differences are aesthetic ones but I am no expert so someone will be along in a mo to advise differently.

We find it makes a very noticable difference to our boat in winter

Can you send me that website addy please C~R - we definitely missed our ecofan when it finally died after being tipped off the stove too many times while on the move.

The kitchen floor was definitely warmer the two winters aboard that it worked and it'd be great to get it working again.

Can you send me that website addy please C~R - we definitely missed our ecofan when it finally died after being tipped off the stove too many times while on the move.

The kitchen floor was definitely warmer the two winters aboard that it worked and it'd be great to get it working again.

Here you go Ange - http://www.ecofan.co.uk/warranty-terms.html

• 9 months later...

We bought a valiant one- the 3blade one from Midland chandlers during one of last years freaky Fridays. We were really impressed over the winter-but we do have a small boat and it was great at sending the warm air down to the bedroom.

To answer the first post, Ecofan is a trade name for the original type, afaik the first marketed in the UK. They sell a large 3 bladed fan at an even higher price as well as the original 2 bladed one.

Other makes are now available, so the strict answer to the op is "no"!

Thats what I want

I was given one for my birthday

Only problem is I an so deaf I can't hear it.

Would be better if the engine was at the front rather than behind the fan, we often run it the wrong way round just to watch the engine.

Would be better if the engine was at the front rather than behind the fan, we often run it the wrong way round just to watch the engine.

Its on my list