seasurveys

Featured Posts

Hi Richard

does that mean you think the plate draws off the bearing leaving that behind, my first thought was that the cam was a separate unit sliding onto the bearing support shaft with the bearing pulling off afterwards. I think I might have seen a keyway for the cam collar, but not sure.

Have not tried other than hand pulling to try to ease the cam collar off yet. It could be that it is just a tight slide fit similar to a crankshaft timing sprocket & not need specific extra work. It will be easy....when I know how it is designed, but cannot find a breakdown of the assemble to confirm. Thus the need for other member's memories,,,,if they still have them....

The question that might remain is , is there a shoulder on the plate to locate the bearing on the opposite side as there does not seem to be one this side, That would prevent the plate pulling off the bearing & leaving that behind & would not want to try to pull if this was the case.

Thanks again

John

Edited by seasurveys

Hi Richard

Glad to tell you that the oil pump drive collar is just a tight sliding fit with a small woodruff key. Once that is pulled off without too much difficulty, the plate can then be pulled off using the threaded drillings close to the bearing housing, this comes off quite easily and is not an interference fit but does need a drawer as you cannot risk prising the plate off around its perimeter for fear of fracturing it,

The oil seal is fitted on the front side of the plate in a bored recess and is easily removed. Conventional oil seal although non standard size. The seal has hardened and has no chance of being efficient and needs replacement.

The question is where can I get an oil seal. I assume it is English inch measures not metric, mainly because of the age. The housing (external) dia is approx 2.935, internal not checked accurately yet, but the external dia does not match any common size available.does anyone know where I can get one. Also the face gasket, big circular flange, although I could easily make this.

Thanks for all input so far.

John

Hmmm.

For the oil seal, you need to know the outside diameter, the shaft diameter and how long it is (from the depth of the recess it sits in). can you measure these up accurately? As you say, 2.935 is neither inch (3") or metric (74 or 75mm)

These guys are convenient for gasket papers: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/tym-seals-and-gaskets-ltd?_rdc=1, I doubt you'll find them ready made

I would love to see some more photos

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally managed to sort most things. The old seal was definitely completely failed in that it had hardened excessively.

The correct seal is completely unavailable however, just by luck I managed to remove the remnants of the oil seal within the oil seal shell and I found the metric oil seal that was a precise fit within the shell. Obviously, the shell being absolutely to correct size was no difficulty to refit. The new oil seal was just sealed into the old shell. The seal lip is slightly smaller in diameter but flexes over the shaft without too much difficulty and I think it will be fine.

I have made a pair of new circumference gaskets for the plate however, these are approximately 7 or 8 thou thicker than the originals. The new ones will squeezed but by obviously not that much and I am trying to work out whether this extra thickness will hold the bearing as seen in the plate too far off causing a degree of flexing in the cast iron face plate when the assembly is bolted tight on the locking nut for the centre shaft that holds the spur gear , bearing and the oil pump cam collar in position. Any thoughts?

It seems unusual that the plate outer circumference machining should have any absolutely precise relationship to the centre bearing loading.

The bearing does not appear to be floating within the plate (see photographs) and I will not know until I offer the assembly up.

Thank you for all your help and, if you see something you think I have missed by all means let me know.

John

plate%20gearbox%20side.jpgplate%20front%20side.jpgoilk%20seal.jpggearbox%20face.jpg