Leeds & Liverpool - Barrowford Locks

DJW

Featured Posts

If I'm not back in Manchester by the 25th...my kid will be sleeping in the train station....so hopefully they'll stick to their 1 week schedule and get it done, else I'll be fitting 2 Yamaha outboards to the back of my boat and doing the Wigan flight in one giant jump :)

Barrowford locks latest

Leeds & Liverpool Canal - Lock 48 (Barrowford)
Monday 5 August 2013 until further notice
UPDATE (12 August 2013): Our teams have been working over the weekend to drain the lock and commence works to strip out and replace the cill.
The cill has lifted along with the concrete forbay and some of the chamber floor. Once the cill has been fully re-fitted, the forbay will need to be concreted. This will take a minimum of three days to cure.
A progress update will be issued on Wednesday 14 August before midday.
Please follow this link to to view photographs of the damage:
----------------------------------------------------

Bump for CRT update -

UPDATE (14 August 2013): Further to our notice on Monday 12 August, our team has been busy on site. The damaged concrete has been fully removed along with the timber flooring. The new timber has been prepared and installed. The cills have been installed and will be locked into position today.

Today, once the cill has been fixed in place, we will be laying the new concrete. This should take around three days to cure before we can remove the scaffolding and start to re-water the area. In the meantime, our teams will be completing two sections of wash wall repairs and debris removal at the site.

We anticipate that the canal will be open by Monday 19 August. A further update will be issued on Friday 16 August before midday.

Bump for CRT update -

UPDATE (14 August 2013): Further to our notice on Monday 12 August, our team has been busy on site. The damaged concrete has been fully removed along with the timber flooring. The new timber has been prepared and installed. The cills have been installed and will be locked into position today.

Today, once the cill has been fixed in place, we will be laying the new concrete. This should take around three days to cure before we can remove the scaffolding and start to re-water the area. In the meantime, our teams will be completing two sections of wash wall repairs and debris removal at the site.

We anticipate that the canal will be open by Monday 19 August. A further update will be issued on Friday 16 August before midday.

Thanks for posting the latest ...I've learned to find the stoppages page on Waterscape, but I know some are following this thread smile.png...I'm sure those locks will be working on the 19th, but probably a lot of congestion round that area....and down the Wigan flight.

ETA....it must have been a huge inconvenience for boaters who had to actually wait the full 2 weeks repair......although......not a bad part of the country to be stranded I would imagine.

Edited by DeanS

Just for anybody interested if they are not already aware you don't have to check the stoppages page.

You can subscribe to stoppage emails from CRT.

Selecting just the waterways you are interested in means you don't get inundated with emails that alert you unnecessarily.

I currently only subscribe to ones for the Northern waterways but this can be changed at anytime.

Monday 5 August 2013 - Saturday 17 August 2013

UPDATE (16 August 2013): Further to our notice on Wednesday 14 August, the cill has been successfully installed and concreted.

We are now waiting for the concrete to set before removing the scaffold and pumps.

Whilst on site, our teams have taken the opportunity to repair two sections of wash wall, carried out some debris removal and have also repaired some lock gearing.

The area is scheduled to open to navigation at approx. 4pm on Saturday 17 August 2013.

Please see photographs of the works by following this link: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4039.pdf

----------------------------------------------------

Very glad for the people who've been stuck there this past fortnight. And it's done a bit more quickly than they originally thought too!

We'll be at Swanley tomorrow - it's been a much longer trip than planned but its been great. Seems like forever-ago we were at Barrowford.