Sealing Threads

Jacq

Featured Posts

PTFE is chemically inert so is suitable for use in diesel lines but go for the stuff in a yellow reel as it is twice the density (I think it is available in a pink reel too that is even denser but I haven't seen any).

I got mine from Wickes.

There are sometimes warnings about use of PTFE tape in diesel lines.

Some claim that making the joint can cause small particles to be put into the line, which may then cause issues.

Some sources say don't use unless in parts before the filter.

No idea if this is valid though!

I would use hemp. It's readily available here in SA. Not sure if it is in UK.

Yes it is, but it needs a sealant with it (IMO), Stag is a traditional one to use with it, Heldite will also work (but be harder to undo).

Tim

If you mean the pipes from the pump to the injectors, there shouldn't be any sealing stuff at all. The metal to metal seals are good for around 8000 psi

Brass or bronze doesn't sound like the high pressure pipes, but the low pressure ones. Even so, they should still work without PTFE tape

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Most fittings should have some kind of positive metal to metal seal such as an olive, or a machined face and copper washer.

The threads are then used to apply the force rather than make the seal, (though lots of people still choose to use PTFE tape!).. Main exception is BSP tapered fittings. Are you sure you need to seal the thread?.

...............Dave

On the fuel injection side. The fittings have a taper and are brass or bronze.

Most fittings should have some kind of positive metal to metal seal such as an olive, or a machined face and copper washer.

The threads are then used to apply the force rather than make the seal, (though lots of people still choose to use PTFE tape!).. Main exception is BSP tapered fittings. Are you sure you need to seal the thread?.

...............Dave

Tim

Tim, Sorry

I had in my head a picture of a plain taper under compression from a nut of some sort, rather than a tapered thread!

Likewise here

I hate those tapered BSP threads!

Richard