It Wasn't Meant To End Like This

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

My trip down the Severn Estuary was yesterday. The navigation was far easier than expected as there are leading marks all the way though binoculars were required to find them. I followed the channel but now know that I could just go off in a straight line without problems when leaving at the top of the tide.
I was thoroughly enjoying the ride despite it being somewhat choppier than forecast until the engine stopped

The Tow

My trip down the Severn Estuary was yesterday. The navigation was far easier than expected as there are leading marks all the way though binoculars were required to find them. I followed the channel but now know that I could just go off in a straight line without problems when leaving at the top of the tide.
I was thoroughly enjoying the ride despite it being somewhat choppier than forecast until the engine stopped

Oh no! Did you drown?

Richard

Oh no! Did you drown?

Richard

Not much.

No panic, tried changing the fuel filters but to no avail. Bit tricky in a choppy sea. Contacted the coastguard on VHF who sent out the Portishead boat to tow me in. I was getting a bit close to shore when they arrived and was getting ready to drop the anchor. Someone coming to flush the system in the morning.

Full trip should be on the website shortly

Edited by Dr Bradley

Not much.

No panic, tried changing the fuel filters but to no avail. Bit tricky in a choppy sea. Contacted the coastguard on VHF who sent out the Portishead boat to tow me in. I was getting a bit close to shore when they arrived and was getting ready to drop the anchor. Someone coming to flush the system in the morning.

Full trip should be on the website shortly

I suppose that is one way of getting more views on the website. Do they get salvage rights for the tow? Edited by Jim Evans

I suppose that is one way of getting more views on the website. Do they get salvage rights for the tow?

No. It is a wonderful efficient and free service. Cannot, and never have been able to praise them highly enough. (The AA as the fourth emergency service - what rubbish)

No. It is a wonderful efficient and free service. Cannot, and never have been able to praise them highly enough. (The AA as the fourth emergency service - what rubbish)

Remember that in Germany the ADAC which is the same as the AA handle allot of the emergency medical and rescue helicopter services.

Glad you survived it and I hope a few lessons can be passed on for other people wishing to do the trip.

Remember that in Germany the ADAC which is the same as the AA handle allot of the emergency medical and rescue helicopter services.

Glad you survived it and I hope a few lessons can be passed on for other people wishing to do the trip.

Clean your fuel tank before going on the choppy stuff. I had it cleaned before I set off in March. Lesson - not good enough. Other lesson, choose the right weather and tides and the Severn estuary is nothing to be frightened of if you equip the boat right, have the charts and can read them. A great trip despite the problem near the end.

In surprised you say your tank was cleaned in March yet you had enough crap in it after just four months to kill the engine!

Anyway. Well done to the RNLI for their swift service.

It is for these eventualities that we donate to the RNLI £8 odd each month.

Glad to know all is OK and the RNLI were able to tow you in unscathed.

One thought though is the the RNLI is only free at point of use similar to any other emergency services. It costs a lot of money to keep the RNLI service running it just happens to be funded by donations rather than a tax.

Bigger greenie to the RNLI

Howard

Actually it was not the RNLI as Portishead lifeboat is an independent trust, though apparently they are in talks to amalgamate. Donation to the trust will bw made.

In surprised you say your tank was cleaned in March yet you had enough crap in it after just four months to kill the engine!

Anyway. Well done to the RNLI for their swift service.

It is for these eventualities that we donate to the RNLI £8 odd each month.

I too am surprised. I had it done before I set off in March as I knew things like the Severn estuary were in my plan. I thought once in the year would be sufficient. Perhaps I'll be having words with the bloke that did t.

Edited by Dr Bradley

Actually it was not the RNLI as Portishead lifeboat is an independent trust, though apparently they are in talks to amalgamate. Donation to the trust will bw made.

I too am surprised. I had it done before I set off in March as I knew things like the Severn estuary were in my plan. I thought once in the year would be sufficient. Perhaps I'll be having words with the bloke that did t.

Good man!boat.gifclapping.gif

I would. Sounds like it wasn't done right unless you have picked up a really bad batch of fuel along the way.

Keep changing the filters and see what happens.