Hammerite ' Kurust'

Featured Posts

Cheers.

Do u just paint it on, let it cure and paint under coat on top?

and what's Vactan

I've just used this while repainting and it does seem to stop the chemical reaction

You need to remove all the rust first though

It is also worth using on any exposed metal surfaces

You only need a little bit and pour what you need into a glass jar as if you use it straight out of the hammerite container the second you dip,the brush in, the whole lot is ruined - something to do with Chemistry

Apply with a brush and it should be dry in about half an hour or so then just overcoat

I've used kurust in the past on cars and boat. Seems to work quite well, but how can you tell? Would probably have been ok without it. My current opinion is that it's a waste of time and money. I'd be very interested to hear a more enlightened opinion than mine.

Iron requires oxygen to form iron oxide (rust) water merely speeds up the process. It cannot oxidise without access to the air. Rust starts under paintwork because of a chip or scratch that allows the iron access to oxygen, the reason it spreads is because the rust begins to lift and crack the paintwork around it allowing more oxygen and water in. Left unattended will gather momentum. Now a good brushed/sanded/primed/painted surface has no access to oxygen so why need any chemical reaction to convert the tiny traces of rust left?

Personal opinion of course :)

Dan