Empty Visitor Moorings - Overstaying

DeanS

Featured Posts

They have barricaded the other 10 VMs off, so no one can use them. The VMs further up, are £6 per day.

So why not go and pay £6 per day for a few days?

That way you won't be over staying or running the risk of upsetting anyone.

£6 per day is actually not a bad rate in the scheme of things.

Say for example you looked out the window and there was still 1 space left on the VM at 6pm this evening and settled down to The One Show and a few cans of Stella. Then 2 boats turn up at 7pm who have been travelling together and had a really hard day. Either one of them doesn't get a mooring which would technically be unfair if you'd already overstayed, or you'd have to untie and set off in search of another mooring in the middle of the evening.

I'm only playing devil's advocate here. I actually agree with you that it is a shame common sense cannot prevail sometimes.

No...I meant, I will leave when it is down to 2 spaces still available.

:)

So why not go and pay £6 per day for a few days?

That way you won't be over staying or running the risk of upsetting anyone.

£6 per day is actually not a bad rate in the scheme of things.

Cause it's full and doesnt fit widebeams :)...and I dont actually need to be on a VM at all really.....it's just that the river levels rose recently which put the fear into me.

I would if I could...lol.

Cmon...be honest....if you were on a VM (asking everyone, not you specifically), and it was completely empty..............and your time was up.....would you move because the sign said so, or would you perhaps ask if you can use one of the berths......while it's so empty (midweek.....I imagine it will fill up again from Fri?)

Being completely honest I would move, I can only think of one occasion when I have overstayed on VM's and that was at Castleford when the Aire was in flood and we were penned in Casltlefor Cut with a load of other boaters too.

That said I don't do as much boating as you though so there may have been occasions where I may have been tempted to ask if I did.

No...I meant, I will leave when it is down to 2 spaces still available.

:)

Cause it's full and doesnt fit widebeams :)...and I dont actually need to be on a VM at all really.....it's just that the river levels rose recently which put the fear into me.

There are other visitor moorings within easy reach of Leeds.

Woodlesford is close by and is a 14 day limit. Nice spot as well.

Actually. I need to ask forgiveness. The VMs are filling up (2 boats arrived this morning already) , so we're going to move shortly :) Onto the river :)

I dont know if it makes us wrong to have asked about an extra day. I guess it does.

But it does highlight the lack of VMs in Leeds :)

There are other visitor moorings within easy reach of Leeds.

Woodlesford is close by and is a 14 day limit. Nice spot as well.

Is that on the L&L?

Hi given that carts leeds hq is only across the river they could see you with binos! Shame they didnt see the unlicensed scum bags who had blocked the mooring for months last september, who when asked if they could move as they were turning a 4 mooring point into a 3 mooring point told my friend to F*** o**. I believe a workboat removed them later as when we returned from Skipton they had gone and the moorers said their had been a big fuss! But you are right there are loads of moorings you just cant get to them!! wonder how much that cost us then?

Peter

Actually. I need to ask forgiveness. The VMs are filling up (2 boats arrived this morning already) , so we're going to move shortly smile.png Onto the river smile.png

I dont know if it makes us wrong to have asked about an extra day. I guess it does.

But it does highlight the lack of VMs in Leeds smile.png

Dean - I said this before but I personally wouldn't moor there, I'm not even sure where you can (safely) any way, even though I know you already have done.

NC's suggestion of Woodlesford is a good one. It's a short 2 (automated) lock hop and lovely moorings too. Because they are not actually designated as VM's you get the normal 14 days towpath limit.

For the kids train journey it's about an 8 minute ride by train from Leeds and a short walk to the moorings next to the lock.

For the third time in two days I see people mixing up this forum with real life. Where exactly do you get the paranoia from Dean?

No-one gives a toss whether you stay there as long as you're not abusing someone else's desire to use those facilities.

Except.... the mass whingers of CWDF.

As you demonstrated CRT don't care. The law on Visitor Moorings is obscure anyway (cue 15 pages of 'discussion' on the meaning of the words 'service' and 'restriction'.

You are simply setting yourself up by bringing this real world non-problem into this hate filled cesspit. Perhaps counselling could get to the root cause of that?

I see no whinging (yet) just other members offering a view on a question Dean asked.

Edited by The Dog House

I would if I could...lol.

Cmon...be honest....if you were on a VM (asking everyone, not you specifically), and it was completely empty..............and your time was up.....would you move because the sign said so, or would you perhaps ask if you can use one of the berths......while it's so empty (midweek.....I imagine it will fill up again from Fri?)

I can't answer that particular scenario because I'm not you, and I've not put myself into that situation. Honestly, I'd plan the travel a bit better so that if I were approaching a destination with restricted visitor moorings too early, I'd either slow down (possibly even stop for a few days on a non-VM, ie 14 days) or do some kind of detour or extra arm of the canal, if there was a viable one (possibly even turning round to see something again).

At the same time, I'd never assume that a VM is going to have available spaces, especially if I was planning to arrive fairly late on in the day/evening, and always have a 'plan B' to hand. We've been in the situation only once, where we arrived at Anderton after a long day (because we decided to push on to Anderton, instead of stopping before) and pretty much all the VMs were full (there were 2 half sized spaces, in theory we could have asked other boaters to shuffle up, in practice nobody was in on the boats). In the end we drove past the moorings (coming from Preston Brook end), turned in the marina mouth, drove past them all again, turned at the Anderton winding hole and reversed the boat about 100 yds up the canal to find a free mooring.

TBH I'm not bothered about other boaters overstaying on empty VMs, but I'd not personally do it myself unless under exceptional circumstances.

Actually. I need to ask forgiveness. The VMs are filling up (2 boats arrived this morning already) , so we're going to move shortly :) Onto the river :)

But it does highlight the lack of VMs in Leeds :)

Is that on the L&L?

Just a short cruise down the Aire and Calder Dean.

Lovely spot with local shops and good transport links into Leeds.

For the third time in two days I see people mixing up this forum with real life. Where exactly do you get the paranoia from Dean?

No-one gives a toss whether you stay there as long as you're not abusing someone else's desire to use those facilities.

Except.... the mass whingers of CWDF.

Of course, you've never berated anyone for perceived over-staying on VMs? (insert sarcasm smiley here).

Say for example you looked out the window and there was still 1 space left on the VM at 6pm this evening and settled down to The One Show and a few cans of Stella. Then 2 boats turn up at 7pm who have been travelling together and had a really hard day. Either one of them doesn't get a mooring which would technically be unfair if you'd already overstayed, or you'd have to untie and set off in search of another mooring in the middle of the evening.

Er, wouldn't they just breast up together?

dont all get in a hot tizz :)

All I said was that the VMs were empty when I woke up and I asked CRT for an extra day :)

I now see that the VMs are filling up, so we have no desire to mess up other boaters enjoyment, so we're moving shortly.

so all calm down ;- )

Yes the kids are off on their holidays...and come back to Leeds on Sun.....so we need to be here then. I really enjoy the river section.....although there are risks.

I've already said I was probably wrong to assume the VMs would remain empty all day :) Give a guy a break...LOL.

One thing you need to understand is...that when someone cruises the L&L for 3 weeks and arrives in Leeds...they really dont want to "go cruising" out of Leeds, just to find a place to moor longer than 48Hrs.

Is that on the L&L?

Head out of Leeds on the A&C - it's all a bit 'urban' until you get past the originally named 'concrete bridge' under the M1 and then it opens up a bit and gets quite pretty.

The best moorings are on the left before the lock. (The opposite side are LTM's)

10 mins walk to a co-op and an excellent butchers - walk through the estate, turn right and pass under the railway bridge.

You can also wind the boat there to come back as it easily wide enough (we wind our 60ft there no problem)

Of course, you've never berated anyone for perceived over-staying on VMs? (insert sarcasm smiley here).

umm, no actually, I've got one of those things called a life.

I see no whinging (yet) just other members offering a view on a question Dean asked.

#4, #6, #10, #19 and latterly #26

Did Dean ask a question?

And if you've not seen posts whinging about boaters on visitor moorings on CWDF before I can't help you there, I'd suggest Specsavers.

Edited by Chris Pink

Head out of Leeds on the A&C - it's all a bit 'urban' until you get past the originally named 'concrete bridge' under the M1 and then it opens up a bit and gets quite pretty.

The best moorings are on the left before the lock. (The opposite side are LTM's)

10 mins walk to a co-op and an excellent butchers - walk through the estate, turn right and pass under the railway bridge.

You can also wind the boat there to come back as it easily wide enough (we wind our 60ft there no problem)

Thx. Any water points nearby? We really travelled the L&L to visit Leeds....it's our youngests birthday and we're taking him to the movies and a meal at some point. This VM issue at Leeds has been going on for years. I raised it in a meeting with CRT earlier this year...and asked if i travel 3weeks to get here, will there be somewhere for me to moor :) The answer of course is....NO. :)

If you knew there was a vm issue why did you get there so soon.

If you head out of Leeds now onto other moorings then there is nothing stopping you going back when it is your sons birthday.

Woodlesford for example is only a short bus or train ride away.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Thx. Any water points nearby? We really travelled the L&L to visit Leeds....it's our youngests birthday and we're taking him to the movies and a meal at some point. This VM issue at Leeds has been going on for years. I raised it in a meeting with CRT earlier this year...and asked if i travel 3weeks to get here, will there be somewhere for me to moor smile.png The answer of course is....NO. smile.png

Water at Knotstrop Lock which you will pass, and at Woodlesford itself IIRC. Though no Elsan disposal, you will pass an Elsan though before you leave Leeds on your right, where the floating pontoon is so a good idea to empty there I would say, your next chance will be Lemonroyd which is actually another lock and 15-20 mins past Woodlesford.

PS Assuming you are still above Leeds lock I've miscounted the locks it's 3 not two but they are all a cinch.

Watch out for the approach to Knotstrop Flood gates and lock it's not blindingly obvious where to go when you see it for the first time but it's to the right.

As for getting back to Leeds for the flicks and a meal it is as I say dead easy by train from woodlesford.

Edited by The Dog House

dont all get in a hot tizz smile.png

All I said was that the VMs were empty when I woke up and I asked CRT for an extra day smile.png

I now see that the VMs are filling up, so we have no desire to mess up other boaters enjoyment, so we're moving shortly.

so all calm down ;- )

Yes the kids are off on their holidays...and come back to Leeds on Sun.....so we need to be here then. I really enjoy the river section.....although there are risks.

I've already said I was probably wrong to assume the VMs would remain empty all day smile.png Give a guy a break...LOL.

One thing you need to understand is...that when someone cruises the L&L for 3 weeks and arrives in Leeds...they really dont want to "go cruising" out of Leeds, just to find a place to moor longer than 48Hrs.

Don't worry about it Dean.

The fact that you asked and you are concerned enough about others now that people are arriving and so you are moving on is testament enough. It shows you as a decent person and a responsible boater.

have a good night and stay in Leeds.

Then there's only two possible explanations:

1. Amnesia.

2. Your account has been hacked.

Both options probably need checking out.

If you knew there was a vm issue why did you get there so soon.

Kids needed to catch trains from Leeds station.....they're off for a week and we need to be back to pick em up. The river level was playing around, so we stayed put, but to be honest, I'm already tired of being tied to a pontoon again :)

#4, #6, #10, #19 and latterly #26

Did Dean ask a question?

And if you've not seen posts whinging about boaters on visitor moorings on CWDF before I can't help you there, I'd suggest Specsavers.

I can't agree with your view of what constitutes 'whinging'

I actually don't rate Specsavers BTW I find them overpriced and actually not that good. So I get my prescription from a local optician these days and use 'glasses direct.'

Linky for future reference should anybody need it.

Then there's only two possible explanations:

1. Amnesia.

2. Your account has been hacked.

Both options probably need checking out.

No, actually Jogger Dave, I was laughing at you for not being able to use a mooring pin.

And deciding you should use visitor moorings rather than learning to boat properly - though you may have a point, your rank selfishness did annoy me and, yes, it did provoke a whinge.

There's always an exception that proves the rule.

I can't agree with your view of what constitutes 'whinging'

I actually don't rate Specsavers BTW I find them overpriced and actually not that good. So I get my prescription from a local optician these days and use 'glasses direct.'

Linky for future reference should anybody need it.

I tried them and found that whereas the glasses were well made, the distance that they sat on my eyes and the distance that focussed at wasn't as good as when I've had glasses fitted in the high street.

Probably a parameter missing but it did put me off.

Edited by Chris Pink

Dean you worry to much I have been on the same VM 24h for 2 days now still plenty of space if anyone needs to moor. Should they fill up like you I would move but until that happens I am staying put. I have had this discussion before IMO if VM,s are empty with plenty of spaces no harm done by staying anyway as a CCer it will give people something to moan about.

Of course you then get the opposite situation of where we were the other day at Aynho on the Oxford - wonderful place with very few VMs - about 4 in total or you have to moor half a mile away and walk back to the excellent pub. We stayed the regulation 48 hours and then moved - ahead of us another boat all locked up with no sign of life. According to one of the PMs it has been there over two weeks. Not even a sign saying sorry my 'engine's broken' and anyway there is a boatyard there that could take it if it was an emergency. I would have liked to express my views with the owner!