Fishing

dominicebs

Featured Posts

As you point out you will need a rod licence and a permit for the water you are fishing. As far as I know there are no actual rules specifically for fishing from boats other than the ones for bank fishing. I think common sense is the main factor here.

As you point out you will need a rod licence and a permit for the water you are fishing. As far as I know there are no actual rules specifically for fishing from boats other than the ones for bank fishing. I think common sense is the main factor here.

This may help to clarify; taken from C&RT's web site on fishing

What is a rod licence and what does it entitle me to do?

Issued by the Environment Agency, one rod license actually licenses the use of up to two fishing rods and is required before fishing on any inland waters. This licence, however, does not give them permission to fish. Permission to fish still needs to be sought from the owner of the fishing rights or the angling club that controls the fishing on that water. There is no free fishing on any Canal & River Trust-owned fishery.

I have got a boat license, does that also give me permission to fish?

No, a boating licence only gives consent to navigate and not to fish, in the same way that an angling licence gives the holder no rights of navigation.

Is it OK for me to fish off the back of my boat if its moored on the towing path side?

Yes, but only if you purchase either a day or season membership of the controlling club. You will also have to adhere to the club rules at all times. Please note that some angling clubs' public liability insurances only cover fishing from the bank and maybe invalid if something was to happen.

I hope that helps

Howard

You definitely still need a rod licence and a permit for any stretch of canal. Rules for fishing from a boat on the canal are things like your boat must be stationary and not interfere with other boaters, bridges / locks and turning points...and of course moorings. Basically common sense yeah ....like keeping any equipment safely and not leaving tackle / line / hooks so that it will harm wildlife and the environment.

yes you can fish on canalized sections of rivers, for example cranfleet cut and the top of kegworth deep lock, both sections are canalized and can be fished out of season.That's straight from the bailiff on the soar.

ed for spelling.

Edited by GoodGurl

As I understand it a rod licence is legally required to fish anywhere in the UK, that even includes your own private pond or lake. A bit like aTV licence which entitles you to receive broadcasts a rod licence entitles you to fish, period.

Tin hat ready.

you are indeed correct.

Yes I had heard that but never found out why...

The Tweed and its tributaries (including the Till) are classed as Scottish rivers, for which a National Rod licence is not required. Also belive it or not Fishing is not permitted on Sundays on Scottish rivers.

Lets make it easy, and as said even if you fish in a pond in your garden, this is the case i think if you have a disese in your pond and then transfer it to another water, the EA have to clean up after you,

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

i know its not what was asked but i cant believe how many folk moan or dont bother getting rod licence when the EA do such alot to keep the water clean and look after wild life, if it wasnt for the EA we would be in boating in a cut of crap.

Lets make it easy, and as said even if you fish in a pond in your garden, this is the case i think if you have a disese in your pond and then transfer it to another water, the EA have to clean up after you,

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx

i know its not what was asked but i cant believe how many folk moan or dont bother getting rod licence when the EA do such alot to keep the water clean and look after wild life, if it wasnt for the EA we would be in boating in a cut of crap.

I think you may be surprised 2700 http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/106771.aspx