What Is Prop Walk?

NickF

Featured Posts

I thought the story has pretty much been done to death. Thread so far has been interesting but enough is enough.

To sum up, Prop walk exists, just learn to use it to your advantage, simples.

Phil

Boats being flat bottomed might have some effect, something to do with venturi effect maybe, but then that would require a humped canal bed which is quite rare I think. Be interesting to study the hydrodynamics at work when rising in a lock as opposed to descending. I may start a new thread.

That is if it's ok with you.

An interesting experiment would be to put a propeller in a front loading washing machine to see in which direction the washing machine walks.

Or even in a spin dryer to see if it'll make it run!

Or when in dock run the engine in reverse gear, stand behind the prop chucking buckets of water at it with a person standing on either side with buckets to catch the spraying drips and then the two drips with the buckets can afterwards compare the differences of the bucketfuls by weighing and visual inspection. closedeyes.gif

We are all different in our personality, and that is the way it should be, and whats make it intersting with people.

same with boats, and airplanes.

Some just want to know the theory, and never dare or care for the practical.

others just learn the practical, and often become good at that.

We have a sligtly disabled guy on this canal, his biggest interest is the canal, he perfectly can work as a lock keeper in a place with 4 all differently sized locks, he beats the ordinary lockkeepers on there fingeres, this summer he was blessed by the canal boss, that supported him with the obligatory life west, that the lock keppers have, His normally work is at the Horse nail factory (Mustad)

But he don't know the clock or how old he is, he is 40-50 something.

Every summer he spend his vacation at the canal

some want it all, a little or a lot of both worlds.

And sure we can be better on the practical with the theory as ground, or top off with it.

Jan

Edited by Dalslandia

The post 79 isnt with anybody special in mind, for those that want to know more i think it is ok to seek knowlege, if not it is ok too.

I think we all know prop walk from practis, that is not the qustion if it exist or not, but why and how.

• 3 weeks later...