Idiot In Snarestone Tunnel

Gaz117

Featured Posts

I could be wrong here but I have also seem tunnels where it says "two way working", where they are not wide enough for 2 boats to pass. On the Llangollen perhaps? I was left thinking that perhaps the phrase meant other than the ability for 2 boats to pass.

yes, both the long tunnels at Chirk have "2 way working" signs. Given they are obviously only 7' or so, I've never seen anyone try to pass, though you you do hear regular tales of arguments/ stand offs/ fights over who gets to go first.

I wasn't dreaming it then! So does it actually mean something else or are the signs just wrong?

Well as other tunnels say "two way working" to mean boats can enter from both ends at the same time, and pass in the middle, it seems fairly certain to me that these signs at tunnels on the Llangollen, plus those on the two Peak Forest ones I listed are a simple cock-up by BW. How can two way working at a tunnel that has neither time slots nor lights possibly be interpreted as "if a boat is coming the other way, don't enter"?

It does seem really odd to me they have stayed in place, particularly as, from memory, that at least one of the Peak Forrest ones actually could have inexperienced steerers thinking that passing might be possible.

Just had a real fright-still shaking. We were going through snarestone tunnel on the ashby-checked it was clear-you can see through-had our lights on We got 3/4 through and a boat starts coming through-blasted horn-several times and shouted-and then had a full debate trying to convince him it wasn't wide enough for 2 boats-his response was-lets try. Eventually he did reverse

Had a great time so far and been around long enough to know this was an exceptional fool-but needed to have a rant-rant over-thanks guys

Name and shame the idiot!

Probably best not to always rely on the signage that CRT/BW has erected at the end of their tunnels though!

We did the Paek Forrest for the first time last year, and both "Hyde Bank" and "Woodley" (I think!) tunnels have signs saying the tunnels are two way working.

Whilst this might be possible with canoes, I would not like to attempt it in any narrow boat of vaguely normal proportions.

I found it staggering that signs remain in place which are actually disasterous, should anyone choose to take them as telling the truth!

Went through Hyde Bank and I wouldnt like to try and pass in the middle. I always have a copy of the latest "Boaters Guide" from Waterscape.com and in there it does say :-

"Tunnel 15, Hyde Bank Tunnel: Although appearing wide, does not have sufficient clearance for 2 boats to pass. Make sure it is clear before you enter"

As posted it says "two way working"

DSC_2690-1crop_zps26545ebd.jpg

DSC_2691-1_zps35ba20ff.jpg

DSC_2695-1_zps5637cfe6.jpg

DSC_2702-1_zps59501b0b.jpg

Edited by Pete & Helen

ju

First in carries on through and if a boat is in the tunnel and coming towards you, you wait until it emerges.

South travelling boat may not see a boat in the tunnel,

A few years ago when going North in Snarestone another boat going South entered when I was about 20 yards from the exit. There was much swearing and abuise from the other boat. I admit I did not have my tunnel light on, it was a bright sunny day and as I approached I could see through the tunnel to the exit before I entered. A while later on the way back I discovered that because of a curvature in the cut at the approach to the tunnel one has to be well over to the right hand side of the cut to see down the length of the tunnel. The other boat, entering the tunnel at an angle of about 45 degrees,(possibly having just left towpath mooring on the left of the cut) and looking toward the tunnel wall would have thought he was heading into a dark void, and, as he did, bump off the tunnel wall towards my boat even before he could see down the tunnel. Even if I did have my tunnel light on he would not have seen me. I never saw him (The steerer) until after the bump and the other boat had straightened out.

Edited by Radiomariner

Went through Hyde Bank and I wouldnt like to try and pass in the middle. I always have a copy of the latest "Boaters Guide" from Waterscape.com and in there it does say :-

"Tunnel 15, Hyde Bank Tunnel: Although appearing wide, does not have sufficient clearance for 2 boats to pass. Make sure it is clear before you enter"

As posted it says "two way working"

It also appears they've had to correct the name of the tunnel, so perhaps it's not surprising that other information isn't accurate.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, both Preston Brook and Saltersford are controlled by time slots. PB northbound: enter between the hour and ten past, southbound: enter between the half hour and twenty to.

Saltersford similar except that it's a short tunnel, so it's northbound: enter between the hour and twenty past and southbound: between the half hour and ten to.

In both cases there are big pictorial signs with the relevant time slot marked in green on a clock face.

Hyde Bank tunnel signs say max. *craft* beam to navigate "4.9m" , this on a narrow canal ,for those who don't know. There is no way I would attempt to pass another boat in there, the roof profile is all wrong to allow it. I have used the tunnel many many times in the last 40 years, please ignore the official signs. Oddly enough when I went up there a couple of weeks ago there were boats already in the tunnel both going and returning. I waited for them to emerge.

Bill

We did the Paek Forrest for the first time last year, and both "Hyde Bank" and "Woodley" (I think!) tunnels have signs saying the tunnels are two way working.

Edited by billh

DSC_2691-1_zps35ba20ff.jpg

After seeing your pictures I am reassured by the advice to cyclists to dismount before entering the tunnel.

After seeing your pictures I am reassured by the advice to cyclists to dismount before entering the tunnel.

Yes I spotted that.

Even my Psyclist B-i-L would dismount and carry his bike up those steps but he would probably ride down them.

Hyde Bank tunnel signs say max. *craft* beam to navigate "4.9m" , this on a narrow canal ,for those who don't know. There is no way I would attempt to pass another boat in there, the roof profile is all wrong to allow it. I have used the tunnel many many times in the last 40 years, please ignore the official signs. Oddly enough when I went up there a couple of weeks ago there were boats already in the tunnel both going and returning. I waited for them to emerge.

Bill

I would further suggest that the max. headroom at 2.4m is somewhat optimistic. It may well be that when the water level is low ( it often is!) . The north end towpath bridge , an extension of the tunnel, is very low, I know from experience of legging a horse boat through here.

Yes I spotted that.

Even my Psyclist B-i-L would dismount and carry his bike up those steps but he would probably ride down them.

Maybe they thought that cyclists may be riding up and down the boats roof :-)

Seems an odd thing to put on a sign when its all about the tunnel?

Maybe they thought that cyclists may be riding up and down the boats roof :-)

Seems an odd thing to put on a sign when its all about the tunnel?

Its a "standard" sign that they can use for any tunnel - cheaper to produce en masse.

It also appears they've had to correct the name of the tunnel, so perhaps it's not surprising that other information isn't accurate.

They got one bit right, Cycles

I would further suggest that the max. headroom at 2.4m is somewhat optimistic. It may well be that when the water level is low ( it often is!) . The north end towpath bridge , an extension of the tunnel, is very low, I know from experience of legging a horse boat through here.

It does say maximum so depends where they measured it, maybe there is a brick missing from the roof somewhere frusty.gif

have to dismount

Why? He did the correct thing and reversed to let the incumbent boat through.

Hi-he wasn't going to reverse out -he was adamant to try to pass us-it was only after lots of debate and explaining that it wasn't possible that he did. His attitude ranged from arrogant to idiotic-and he could quite clearly see us- I was sat at front and saw him coming in-I shouted at him and Gary blasted the horn several times-but initially he just ignored us. Both boat roofs would have been crushed as the tunnel roof curves in and we would have stuck. His boat was much newer than ours so still can't believe him-plus would he have invalidated his insurance when instructions clearly show single file