How Not To Paint Your Own Boat: A Step-By-Step Guide.

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I wondered what you had been up to

You are now qualified to moor up next to Tawny Owl. We can compare vinyl coach lines together (standard Alvechurch issue), and compare how wrinkly the paint is on your roof and our roof hatches. Bet ours are worse

I too like to slap a good coat on - I'm slowly learning not to blush.png

Richard

Edited by RLWP

So so true, I have been following the same steps since march- with the minor addition- fit new oak window frames and varnish, scrape varnish off paint work, repaint area around windows, scrape paint off window frames, varnish window frames and repeat and repeat.

That power washer is coming no where near my boat!

Fantastic!
The worst painting experience I've had was when we painted the back room in the house... before all the plaster had totally dried.

That meant I spent days with a razor blade scrapeing it all off as so many patches had appeared and started to bubble off the walls.
You have my symapthy.
I bet it looks a lot better than you think, don't forget that as you did it you can see all the flaws, other people wont notice!
:)

You paint a perfect picture of the DIY repaint scenario. It highlights the reasons that professionals work under cover and take several weeks to do the job. After a lifetime around boats ( well,l since a teenager - a sixtysomething now who's worked in the business for a long time) I've concluded that sod's law never bites harder and deeper than on anything to do with boats. Good luck with the rest of it!!

Cheers

Dave

Starry, just what bush were u hiding under when Tree and I attacked my boat????

I feel sooo much better knowing it is not just me that had these thoughts. In fact you are ahead of me, I am still waiting for new tiler to be made, and decided to dazzle with the brightness of colour to avert the eye from the quality!

Brilliant! Thank youl

We're still laughing....as that is just SOOO familiar...right down to the crappy roof paint.

Just wait till you decide to do your own sign writing!

(We did, and were very pleased with the painstakingly first time result....until we really stepped back to have a look and realised the angle was slightly but ever so irritatingly 'out'. So we repainted the entire panel, several times to cover the traces of the lettering - which is still visible - and so it remains two years later. A blank panel).

How to paint a boat?

Buy really good paint, when on cheap offers. You may have to compromise on the colour you paint your boat.

Buy cheap brushes. Not crap cat hair brushes, but cheap brushes.

Wash boat down.

Paint boat.

Stand back and admire.

International Paint is superb, and covers a multitude of sins. And doesn't turn you into a nervous wreck anytime another boat gets within 20 feet.